Wait wait... GFWL logs you out of XBox Live? wtf?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Wuuuut???

I know I know, this belongs just as much in Console Gaming as it does in PCG, but this is ridiculous. I did not know this! While I DO have a few GFWL games, I thankfully have never had this problem (shows how much I play those games!).

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
this is only a problem if you have a wife

images

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
this is only a problem if you have a wife

images

Yeah I discovered that when I was playing Batman Arkham Asylum (GFWL) and my wife turned on the Xbox to watch Netflix. Get a message that I've been logged out of GFWL and it BOOTED ME FROM MY GAME! Luckily it had just saved but wow, what the fuck.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You can only have a profile on once and your GFWL is most likely signed into your same Live ID as the XBOX's profile uses.

In my opinion, Microsoft screwed the pooch on how 360 profiles work. It's a huge pain to be able to use the same profile on multiple 360s... you actually need to put it on a USB thumb drive and physically switch it.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
People are finding new and exciting ways in which GFWL sucks all the time.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
You can only have a profile on once and your GFWL is most likely signed into your same Live ID as the XBOX's profile uses.

In my opinion, Microsoft screwed the pooch on how 360 profiles work. It's a huge pain to be able to use the same profile on multiple 360s... you actually need to put it on a USB thumb drive and physically switch it.

Yeah, I actually bought a 256 MB memory card just to keep my gamertag on it so I can log in from a friend's house without having to recover my gamertag.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Yet another reason to never install GFWL. I made the mistake of buying Dirt 2, which uses GFWL, and it's still sitting on my shelf and will probably stay there.. I'd honestly rather not play the game then deal with that BS. I had so many issues with Gears of War a year or two back that i'd rather not install it at all on my new machine.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Create a separate login for PC games utilizing GFWL and problem solved. Better yet, boycott those games and just don't deal with GFWL period.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Yeah, I actually bought a 256 MB memory card just to keep my gamertag on it so I can log in from a friend's house without having to recover my gamertag.

I have one as well, but they're now absolutely useless. The problem is that they do not work on the newer XBOX 360S and you're required to use a thumb drive instead. It's not really a bad thing since those memory cards were terribly overpriced anyway. I bought an official used one from GameStop and I think it cost me around $15-20 :\.

You also run into problems with games that refuse to let you transfer their save data. It's a huge joke how restrictive these consoles are, but most people don't run into it, because they only own one device. It's the same issue with trying to play games on iOS devices. It's fine if you own one, but if you own two (iPhone and iPad for example), it's utterly impossible to sync things (for 99% of the games) without hacking both devices.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I have one as well, but they're now absolutely useless. The problem is that they do not work on the newer XBOX 360S and you're required to use a thumb drive instead. It's not really a bad thing since those memory cards were terribly overpriced anyway. I bought an official used one from GameStop and I think it cost me around $15-20 :\.

You also run into problems with games that refuse to let you transfer their save data. It's a huge joke how restrictive these consoles are, but most people don't run into it, because they only own one device. It's the same issue with trying to play games on iOS devices. It's fine if you own one, but if you own two (iPhone and iPad for example), it's utterly impossible to sync things (for 99% of the games) without hacking both devices.

I hear you on the iOS device thing. My wife and I have iPods and I've always wondered why you can have profiles in the iTunes software. My solution was to install iTunes on the HTPC and just keep my stuff far away from her stuff. I don't support DRM laden music anyway, so it's not a huge deal for me. Got an iPod due to car audio gear pretty much only supporting iPods for direct digital connections to your gear.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
I hear you on the iOS device thing. My wife and I have iPods and I've always wondered why you can have profiles in the iTunes software. My solution was to install iTunes on the HTPC and just keep my stuff far away from her stuff. I don't support DRM laden music anyway, so it's not a huge deal for me. Got an iPod due to car audio gear pretty much only supporting iPods for direct digital connections to your gear.

bluetooth a2dp makes direct (wired) digital connections irrelevant.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
It's the same issue with trying to play games on iOS devices. It's fine if you own one, but if you own two (iPhone and iPad for example), it's utterly impossible to sync things (for 99% of the games) without hacking both devices.

I got screwed trying to sync my ipod touch to my laptop after I had already synced it to my desktop. Instead of giving me a warning about it, itunes proceeded to delete every app off the device.

Gee thanks. :rolleyes: