Wait or buy TV now??

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I plan on getting a Sony 27" WEGA Flat-Tube Stereo TV from best buy. Curcuit City has this TV for 379.99 vs 419.99 at best buy so I was going to price match it to curcuit city so it should cost about $350 total. I have heard alot of good things about this TV but should I wait till after X mas or New years to see if better deals pop up? Right now I have an old RCA 25" with ONLY a coax input as my main TV... So anything would be a huge upgrade. Should I wait or will I probably not find much of a better deal after words...

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Heard good things about a Sony WEGA???

Blech. Price isn't too bad but I'd avoid Sony.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Wega's are no good huh ? what TV would u recommend with similar specs and price to this one?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
I don't know who's on top but I recall hearing Sony has slid quite a bit in reliability and now have a high "bad from stock" and high failure rate in first year operation..check around for more info on MTBI on sony...

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
i have a 27" wega and like it a lot, its a bedroom tv so 27 is fine, the 16:9 enhanced mode looks really good once you tweak it. (default it is too squished, have to go in service mode to fix that, and adjust the color some)

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
Toshiba

Has the 16:9 mode, too. Makes anamorphic DVDs all that much sharper.

hmmm specs look nice I will have to look into this a bit more Thanks Conjur

So no ones thinks waiting till later will lead me to miss a good deal or anything?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Prices will always drop. <$400 for a 27" TV with component inputs and 16:9 mode is pretty sweet. I'd have gotten that Toshiba for my bedroom had I had a bit more money. I wimped out and got that Apex 27" at Circuit City on Black Friday for $129 (actually...$119 ;) )

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
Originally posted by: JBT
Toshiba

Has the 16:9 mode, too. Makes anamorphic DVDs all that much sharper.

hmmm specs look nice I will have to look into this a bit more Thanks Conjur

So no ones thinks waiting till later will lead me to miss a good deal or anything?

I was going to recommend that same Toshiba. I'm getting the 32" version myself.

If I were you I'd go ahead and get it because I can't imagine the price dropping that much anytime soon.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Cool Thanks guys I will see if the GF is interested in that one instead hehe =) we were gonna go pick up the Sony this weekend maybe it will be the Toshiba instead. I think it will be an easy sell to her because the remote is "cutier" LOL Thanks Again!!!

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Might be a good idea to look into Samsung as well. If you're looking for a specific model the Samsung TXN-2730F is a good choice. I own a Samsung TXN-2726 myself and I have been quite pleased. A lot of the folks commenting on this particular set are stating that they are seeing a better picture than an equivalent Wega and I'd have to agree.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Why? I have a 12 year old Sony XBR 32" cabinet television that works as good as it did new and has a hell of a lot better picture quality than most sets you see in a store these days. I like Sony. :)

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: nsafreak
Might be a good idea to look into Samsung as well. If you're looking for a specific model the Samsung TXN-2730F is a good choice. I own a Samsung TXN-2726 myself and I have been quite pleased. A lot of the folks commenting on this particular set are stating that they are seeing a better picture than an equivalent Wega and I'd have to agree.

Yeah I have been looking at that ones too... Hmmm So confusing so many nice TV's in the same price range I don't know what to do.
SO I am down to the
Samsung Dyna Flat for $340,
Toshiba Flat screen for $379 or,
Sony Wega for about $340 price matched to CC. hmmm any opionions?

May 10, 2001
let the LED displays go down in cost: they are about to ramp-up production on them, and they are far superior to plasma in every respect.

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
We have a 36" WEGA in the living room and haven't had any problems with it. I'm sure its been over a year that we've had it. It's an awesome tv IMHO.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: rpc64
We have a 36" WEGA in the living room and haven't had any problems with it. I'm sure its been over a year that we've had it. It's an awesome tv IMHO.

Yeah we will probably end up getting the Sony Wega the GF seems partial to that one in piticular though I like the Toshiba most it'll end up costing $40 bucks more.

As for the LCD TV post, I don't think a decent size one will come down into our price range for quite some time. THX for the info though.

May 10, 2001
some major manufs have ramped up and should have the market for plasma gone by next year... the largest manuf of plasma has stoped so as to focus on LEDs

here's a little blerb:
buisness info

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
But do yu actually think that a 27" LCD TV will come down to the 350-450 dollar range anytime soon? I highly doubt it even if they are going to cut Plasmas all together. They will only replace the Plasma market not the small CRT market.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac

Why? I have a 12 year old Sony XBR 32" cabinet television that works as good as it did new and has a hell of a lot better picture quality than most sets you see in a store these days. I like Sony. :)

Sony's had a history of geometry issues (Esp. on earlier WEGAs) and their customer service/repair history is quite checkered. Oh, and they're typically way overpriced compared to competitive brands w/similar features.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
New TV models come out in January, and if Christmas sales aren't high you will see a lot of markdowns then to clear out the old ones. Might want to wait, it's not that long.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I would NEVER buy a Sony TV. The image quality is good, but what good is that if it does not last or breaks. Sony's reliability has been dropping for many years now. Even their top line TV's only come with a 90 day warrenty now.

I just got a Toshiba. Offers a FULL 1 year warrenty.

Go circuit city, and get a Toshiba.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I my self am leaning towards the Toshiba but it is mostly the GF's call since she is paying for most of it. (I'm in school and she is working)