Question Wait for Win 10 to update automatically or use the Update & Security menu?

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I can't seem to find a good answer for it in a net search. Must be my search parameters are off. I never click on the check for updates option just to get that out of the way.

I'm talking about when the updates are listed for download and installation in the Update & Security menu. Should I download and install them when the list of them shows up as ready or just wait for them to do it automatically. Or wait for the "Update and Restart" to appear in power on/off options from the tool bar? Apparently somewhere in my settings I have some sort of automatic download and install option checked which is ok with me.

And of course any better ways like a software manager that's better for installing updates are welcome.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I can't seem to find a good answer for it in a net search. Must be my search parameters are off. I never click on the check for updates option just to get that out of the way.

I'm talking about when the updates are listed for download and installation in the Update & Security menu. Should I download and install them when the list of them shows up as ready or just wait for them to do it automatically. Or wait for the "Update and Restart" to appear in power on/off options from the tool bar? Apparently somewhere in my settings I have some sort of automatic download and install option checked which is ok with me.

And of course any better ways like a software manager that's better for installing updates are welcome.

I check once a week and when it shows up I press install.

Then again I keep meticulous backup images so if something goes south I can be back up in 30 minutes or so.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
What if one does not want to install Win 11 ? A Windows Update will announce that Win 11 is available but appears to deny an option to not install it since AFAIK Update cannot be avoided-there is the "Pause Updates for 7 days" option but that is a delay only, effective for a limited time only. How does one avoid up grading to 11 using a 10 platform ?

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
What if one does not want to install Win 11 ? A Windows Update will announce that Win 11 is available but appears to deny an option to not install it since AFAIK Update cannot be avoided-there is the "Pause Updates for 7 days" option but that is a delay only, effective for a limited time only. How does one avoid up grading to 11 using a 10 platform ?
This MS Windows website page is not firm on whether or not it's mandatory:

Edit: But this article says it's optional, that MS made it clear it's optional.

Last edited:

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
^ I stopped installing optional updates about six months ago. I hope I don't accidentally install one of them if I'm in a half awake state doing the main updates.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
On Win 10 Pro you can delay feature updates (i.e. new version) for 365 days under Advanced Options. Not worried about 11 on this computer - isn't new enough to qualify. Support doesn't end for 10 until 2025, so it doesn't seem like they'd force everyone before that date.