Wait for haswell "bugs" to be ironed out before buying?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I'm waiting for this, to figure out whether or not non-K CPUs allow the new BCLK straps, and also for more mobo choices.

If you're buying a pre-built system again, and you don't intend to overclock, there's no reason to wait.
Hell, I don't know what I'm doing wrong (already lowered RAM and CPU multipliers), but for the life of me, I can't get my 4770K to POST on the 125BCLK strap.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
The Haswells being sold now do not have the fix, they are still bugged. I for one am waiting until the new stepping before I consider getting a Haswell.

Intel has said that it is fixed in the c2 8 series chipset stepping.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hell, I don't know what I'm doing wrong (already lowered RAM and CPU multipliers), but for the life of me, I can't get my 4770K to POST on the 125BCLK strap.

That sucks. Not much info on the net yet about it either.

Did you try the 166bclk strap to see if it'll boot?

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Another issue is the incompatibility with 1st gen SandForce (1xxx) drives.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I'm having some crazy issues with my Corsair F120, and I had a foggy recollection of reading your post earlier today. Seems I'm not the only one having issues.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/06/03/asus_z87a_lga_1150_motherboard_review/7#.UbGjgJxWqsM

I've been looking for an excuse to get a bigger SSD for my main rig, and put the F120 into my PowerBook anyway.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
id definitely wait. there are probably other major bugs besides the usb 3 one that will get fixed as well. they need these first few months in the hands of the "beta testers" to find out what problems exist

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I'm glad you mentioned this. I'm having some crazy issues with my Corsair F120, and I had a foggy recollection of reading your post earlier today. Seems I'm not the only one having issues.
Yup. Ran headlong into this with my Vertex 2 120GB, which has always been my test SSD. Thought I was going crazy at first until I brought it up at the Hardforum and saw Kyle's review.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Yup. Ran headlong into this with my Vertex 2 120GB, which has always been my test SSD. Thought I was going crazy at first until I brought it up at the Hardforum and saw Kyle's review.

To be fair though, as described by Kyle, this isn't really a Haswell bug. I consider this more to be a shortcoming on the part of the SSD that is just being exposed by Haswell.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
To be fair though, as described by Kyle, this isn't really a Haswell bug. I consider this more to be a shortcoming on the part of the SSD that is just being exposed by Haswell.
That's technically correct, but SF1xxx does work with every other chipset released thus far.
No matter, mobo makers will probably issue a patch for this soon.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
That's technically correct, but SF1xxx does work with every other chipset released thus far.
No matter, mobo makers will probably issue a patch for this soon.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about it. It's been a great little SSD for years so I can't fault it, but I get that as available power goes down tolerances will need to be tighter.

Interestingly enough, the issue got considerably worse when I flashed the BIOS on my board. It came with version F3, and it was mostly functional. Flashing to the F5 BIOS made it completely unusable.