Question Wait for 3080Ti or not?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZowieR

Apr 4, 2020
I dont know...

it was a very little stronger than 3080, but the Ti is always the "flagship version".. but it is not the case on this situation? because only a little stronger..

I am in dilemma because I dont know if I play on 1440p/4K ... and some people say that the 10GB VRAM is not bad and good for years..

and some other say differently.. that 20GB of the Ti is very important for the future..

I think that I want play on the highest settings for 3-4 years..

Or it was better decision buying 6800XT right now?

what you think? it is stupid decision by nvidia release better version after only a few months later..

Last edited:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The 3090 will pull above (and sometimes well above 60) FPS average at 4K so I think there's less of an argument for using it as a high FPS 1440p card when in a lot of cases it's a high FPS 4K card, but it's a lot easier to get a 1440p monitor that will offer not only the potential for those high frame rates, but the other bells and whistles you'd want for a good experience.

The 3070/6800 are better 1440p cards in my opinion, or at least a better fit, but everyone has their own preferences. Personally I'd rather have completely smooth gameplay on a display with the best picture quality over an increase in resolution if it means compromising either of those things.

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
Big problem with 4K is the lack of hdmi 2.1 or dp 2.0 monitors. Hopefully we will see more at ces this year. Going back to 60hz isn’t something any serious gamer would contemplate.
Existing GPUs work fine over Display Port for 4K @ 120Hz (8 bit) without DSC, I use it every day :)

Reactions: Leeea

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Existing GPUs work fine over Display Port for 4K @ 120Hz (8 bit) without DSC, I use it every day :)

At SDR or HDR with Chroma subsampling. I mean a lot of people won't notice DSC, or chroma subsampling, but there are compromises on DP 1.4 . It doesn't have enough bandwidth to do what we're doing with 1440p. If you've paying what a 144hz + HDR 4k monitor costs it just seems silly to have it handicapped by the port. I tend to keep monitors way longer than GPUs. It just seems a bad time to buy a high end 4k monitor until they start shipping with newer port standards.

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
At SDR or HDR with Chroma subsampling. I mean a lot of people won't notice DSC, or chroma subsampling, but there are compromises on DP 1.4 . It doesn't have enough bandwidth to do what we're doing with 1440p. If you've paying what a 144hz + HDR 4k monitor costs it just seems silly to have it handicapped by the port. I tend to keep monitors way longer than GPUs. It just seems a bad time to buy a high end 4k monitor until they start shipping with newer port standards.
I've had the monitor for about two years now. And I'd replace it in a heartbeat if I saw anything better. Buying a monitor at all is an adventure in compromises and I much rather throw HDR out the window than high refresh rate or high DPI.

I've found that HDR is not a worthwhile feature on contemporary monitors: FALD looks like halo-ridden garbage and everything else is HDR in name only. Regardless, some monitors offer the use of two display port cables to work around bandwidth limitations. Ideally, there would be more bandwidth available but I have yet to see a monitor with worthwhile HDR. It's sad (or perhaps pathetic) how much better low-cost LG OLED TVs look.

Reactions: Leeea

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I've found that HDR is not a worthwhile feature on contemporary monitors: FALD looks like halo-ridden garbage and everything else is HDR in name only. Regardless, some monitors offer the use of two display port cables to work around bandwidth limitations. Ideally, there would be more bandwidth available but I have yet to see a monitor with worthwhile HDR. It's sad (or perhaps pathetic) how much better low-cost LG OLED TVs look.

The one I have is only HDR600, but its noticeably different than SDR. The real issue is that HDR support is still a bit of a minefield. You have to make sure your monitor is set right, windows is set right and the game is set right. On top of that you have to independently calibrate pretty much every game that supports it. For extra fun sometimes if you do mode switching the HDR mode get desynced and it'll say its in HDR mode, but really only putting out SDR, or worse some weird mapping. Cyberpunk has a bug as of 1.06 that is causing HDR not to work right. Anyhow, its still a very beta experience on the PC. I wonder if those LG tv's would be more reliable?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I've found that HDR is not a worthwhile feature on contemporary monitors

I disagree. It has value, but it depends on the game.

So far I have seen marked improvement in Division 2 and Strange Brigade.

However, in the game I am playing now, Sekiro, it is awful. Something is going wrong, and the blood turned orange.

On windows desktop HDR has come a long way. But I still find enabling HDR results in weird haloing in youtube, so I keep the desktop in SDR mode all the time. Perhaps my multimonitor setup is messing it up.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Apparently they have postponed the 3080ti indefinitely. I suppose they have no incentive to release it right now with the 3090 selling out at $2000 everywhere.
And a 3080 for close to 1k with tax assuming you can grab one is still a better deal than a 3090 unless your use case needs more than 10 Gb of Vram.

PS: Just ordered the s21 ultra with a tab s7+ almost free for a great deal, will be here in 2 weeks. Nvidia/AMD need to have their own fabs like Samsung, then there will be no such issues. Never heard of supply constraints for the latest galaxy or iphone...and yea Apple is fab less but it's Apple...

Last edited:

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
PS: Just ordered the s21 ultra with a tab s7+ almost free for a great deal, will be here in 2 weeks. Nvidia/AMD need to have their own fabs like Samsung, then there will be no such issues. Never heard of supply constraints for the latest galaxy or iphone...and yea Apple is fab less but it's Apple...

Fairly sure Apple has first dibs on capacity. Plus they have the margin to pay more.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Fairly sure Apple has first dibs on capacity. Plus they have the margin to pay more.
Exactly my point, Nvidia now has more than enough money to build their own fans. Just look at their stock and market cap, they long ceased to be just a gaming chip company. I guess AMD can bring back GloFo into the fold now that they are big again....

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
The current OLED/QLED TVs do support HDMI 2.1 and let you use 4K at 120hz without any compression or latency. For me, it's the main reason to buy one of the new cards.

Although we're probably at least a couple GPU cycles away from 4k120 being practical now that SLI is effectively dead. I mean you can play 4k120 with esports games on your fancy 3090, but good luck getting decent framerates without DLSS support.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Although we're probably at least a couple GPU cycles away from 4k120 being practical now that SLI is effectively dead. I mean you can play 4k120 with esports games on your fancy 3090, but good luck getting decent framerates without DLSS support.

I use it everywhere actually. Most games older than 4-5 years or indie games get a flat 120fps at all times, while newer AAA games don't quite hit that but can get 80-100fps with VRR. The only games that fall far short are those with RT, which need DLSS.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Does it really matter? Between bots and Covid, getting one is next to impossible. 3090's have been relatively easy to get, but nothing else in the 3000 series has been. I don't see that changing with the 3080Ti, but would love to be proven wrong.

The one place, Micro Center, I've been able to find these cards from time to time, is now requiring purchase of a complete system before they'll let you buy a 3000 series nVidia card. Not to mentioned they've marked up the cards 10-15% in the last couple months anyway.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The one place, Micro Center, I've been able to find these cards from time to time, is now requiring purchase of a complete system before they'll let you buy a 3000 series nVidia card. Not to mentioned they've marked up the cards 10-15% in the last couple months anyway.
That's unfortunate, as I had planned to visit my MC tomorrow. I need a 3080 for my relative's pc that I'm building, and a 5950x for myself.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
That's unfortunate, as I had planned to visit my MC tomorrow. I need a 3080 for my relative's pc that I'm building, and a 5950x for myself.

I don't think it's company wide, but that was my recent experience at the Overland Park, KS store. I wrote up a nastygram on their community forums over that one.

LandShark said:
Hello @Golgatha I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience in our store. I'm not familiar with this just yet, but I'd be happy to look further into this for you. Please expect a DM from me regarding this concern.
Thank you for sharing this feedback with us.
I appreciate it. Worth mentioning, this was not a case of a single associate trying to get extra commissions. Either several were colluding or this was a management level decision. A customer directly in front of me in line was sold a 3070 only after he relented and purchased other parts for a full computer. The Sales associates gave the same news to several people in line in front of me as well.

My personal situation is I've got 4 computers in the house, which were all upgraded or built within the last 6 months. We're a PC gaming family (3 Steam accounts, 2 Epic Games, 3 copies of Minecraft, etc.), and I've got two more GTX 1080 cards I'd like to upgrade. A RTX 3070 would have been a perfect upgrade for either of the remaining two computers I have left to upgrade. I have been fortunate enough to purchase 2 5600X and 1 5800X CPUs, and a 3070 (for a friend's build), 3080, and 3090 in these past 6 months; all from Micro Center. I have been very fortunate considering the severe supply issues during the last few months. I do appreciate Micro Center not doing Online sales of these items, as I probably wouldn't have been able to purchase any of them otherwise.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Some people suggest calling micro center and asking when their next shipment is coming. You would need to go early but at some point the cards were available, before the only thing available recently is buying a whole system.

Seems like almost all manufacturers have increased their prices too.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I've had the monitor for about two years now. And I'd replace it in a heartbeat if I saw anything better. Buying a monitor at all is an adventure in compromises and I much rather throw HDR out the window than high refresh rate or high DPI.

There are 4 things i recommend any hardcore gamer not to put a bugdet on.

1. GPU
2. Monitor
3. Chair
4. ISP

everything else can be a can of compromises, but always in order of which should be your largest allocated budget if needed should be the first 2, followed by 3 for health reasons, and 4 unless its out of control due to availability in your area.

Reactions: CP5670

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

1. GPU
2. Monitor
3. Chair
4. ISP

everything else can be a can of compromises, but always in order of which should be your largest allocated budget if needed should be the first 2, followed by 3 for health reasons, and 4 unless its out of control due to availability in your area.

You forgot "barricade" to keep the kids out. I lean my potato gun against the door and it works a treat.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003

1. GPU
2. Monitor
3. Chair
4. ISP

Obviously if you have unlimited funds, but if you have a finite budget (as most people have), then it may not give you the best gaming experience to match a RTX 3090 with a 1600X, 8Gb ram and a HDD. There has to be somewhat balance in your system.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Obviously if you have unlimited funds, but if you have a finite budget (as most people have), then it may not give you the best gaming experience to match a RTX 3090 with a 1600X, 8Gb ram and a HDD. There has to be somewhat balance in your system.

I'd add a correctly sized UPS unit to plug everything into and to deliver clean power to the setup. I have a 900w Cyberpower pure sine-wave UPS. It cost me $200 and everthing in my signature is plugged in there along with my 1440p GSync Dell monitor. Costs me about $150 every 3-4 years in upkeep to keep the batteries fresh on the 5 UPS units I have in the house.

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
There are 4 things i recommend any hardcore gamer not to put a budget on.

1. GPU
2. Monitor
3. Chair
4. ISP

I meant that all available monitors, even at $2000 or $5000, are compromises. I initially bought the Acer X27 but the FALD halo was too much and I returned it. But I should digress since I did not intend to derail the thread toward displays.

My initial point was that the performance benefit of the rumored 3080 Ti would be so small it is hard to justify except when you're already in the "who cares about money?" category. Like 4K high refresh rate gamers...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

lol you make a point but honestly if you can afford a 2000 dollar video card, i do not think its that much difficult to pair it with a proper cpu board and ram.

But lets say your holding a 1500 dollar bugdet.
I honestly think a bulk of it should be directed at the video card... about half if possible... so you should get a 3070 retail (yeah i know its impossible atm but lets just say) and dedicate the rest of the to the other components.

There are tiers in video cards, and each tier you step up comes at a significant cost.
If possible you want to climb as high as possible on that tier you can without majorly gimping your other components.... otherwise , yes you will have those funny mismatch.

But i guess same could be said about monitors... i see a lot of people buying 600-700 dollar videocards but when it comes to monitors they are running like a $149 1080p TN panel.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
lol you make a point but honestly if you can afford a 2000 dollar video card, i do not think its that much difficult to pair it with a proper cpu board and ram.

But lets say your holding a 1500 dollar bugdet.
I honestly think a bulk of it should be directed at the video card... about half if possible... so you should get a 3070 retail (yeah i know its impossible atm but lets just say) and dedicate the rest of the to the other components.

There are tiers in video cards, and each tier you step up comes at a significant cost.
If possible you want to climb as high as possible on that tier you can without majorly gimping your other components.... otherwise , yes you will have those funny mismatch.

But i guess same could be said about monitors... i see a lot of people buying 600-700 dollar videocards but when it comes to monitors they are running like a $149 1080p TN panel.

If you're building for the best right here and now, I agree that investing in a videocard is what will get you most performance.