Wait a second...

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
When ordering something online, I live in WA and the tax at some places is killer. What if, I sent some money to a friend, who lives in Portland, as a gift for his birthday, then for christmas he used that money to buy me something online and sent it to my place, would there still be tax?

LSUfan

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
tax evasion is ILLEGAL

discussing crimes here is generally a Bad Thing

Why? Did you tear the tag off your mattress? feeling guilty?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: LSUfan
tax evasion is ILLEGAL

no. because people tend to get banned. idiot.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: NL5
I believe it is based on where it is DELIVERED.

Not where the payers addres is?

Like I said, I believe it is where it is DELIVERED. I live in WA as well, just outside of Portland, OR and have had to of had things delivered in Portland, and I paid with a credit card from WA....No tax.

LSUfan

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy
tax evasion is ILLEGAL

Hey Idiot! It's not illegal if it's allowed by law. The man was asking if it was legal. Stop Posting.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
I believe it is based on where it is DELIVERED.

Not where the payers addres is?

Like I said, I believe it is where it is DELIVERED. I live in WA as well, just outside of Portland, OR and have had to of had things delivered to people in Portland, and I paid with a credit card from WA....No tax.

so you ADMIT you commited a crime , oh my

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Question - IS it illegal for me to have something sent to an address besides my own? ...if it is, there are MILLIONS of people committing a crime.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
tax evasion is ILLEGAL

Hey Idiot! It's not illegal if it's allowed by law. The man was asking if it was legal. Stop Posting.

odd here i always thought tax evasion was against the law. silly me.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Question - IS it illegal for me to have something sent to an address besides my own? ...if it is, there are MILLIONS of people committing a crime.

no it aint. but it IS illegal to have it shipped to someone elses addres to avoid tax.

granted the odds on getting caught are nil.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
There are a lot of ways to avoid taxes that are LEGAL. It's UnAmerican not to pay as little tax as possible. If something is DELIVERED to a state w/o a sales tax, there is NO TAX. Why is that so hard to understand. I work in Portland, as does my wife. I have bought things that can only be sent to a business. Everything else gets sent to my house. And guess what? Unless they are a WA business I still don't pay any tax.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003

no it aint. but it IS illegal to have it shipped to someone elses addres to avoid tax.

granted the odds on getting caught are nil.

It was sent to me! See above post.

mattlear

Jun 2, 2000
Doesn't it also depend on the state you live in?

For example, I believe New Jersey has a "use tax". Technically, when you buy something online or out of state, since the vendor doesn't charge you tax, you are supposed to pay the state the NJ sales tax anyway in the form of this "use tax".

Check your states homepage and do a search for use tax.

-Matt

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: mattlear
Doesn't it also depend on the state you live in?

For example, I believe New Jersey has a "use tax". Technically, when you buy something online or out of state, since the vendor doesn't charge you tax, you are supposed to pay the state the NJ sales tax anyway in the form of this "use tax".

Check your states homepage and do a search for use tax.

-Matt

Yeah, that's what I'm famliar with. Not many people fill it out though... so it's a form of tax evasion.