Wage theft is the most common type of theft (more than all burglaries, auto theft, robbery, and larceny combined) and isn't criminalized

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yeah I overall agree.

That's why I think we should have faster pay so they can't abuse you for a month straight before you can even realize that you didn't get paid for something.

Show me where it is a crime? Using terms like "fraud" doesn't mean there is a criminal statute in place.

Regardless, my point still stands, not paying a bill isn't a crime - and if it's for something like a service, then you're effectively not paying their equivalency of wages - especially for independent contractors.
https://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2014/title-21/section-21-1501/ is the first one I found.

Sometimes not paying a bill isn't a crime, sometimes it is. A lot of it comes down to intent. Companies are knowingly, willfully, and purposefully stealing their employee's services, this should be a crime. They are not accruing debt as they don't track the underpay. They are not going insolvent. They are literally, shorting their employees. If they did the same thing to their material vendors it would be criminal theft.

We either need to make civil penalities so massive no company will play stupid games, or we need to need to criminalize many business laws. Obviously, making an employer pay 1 for 1 or 2 for 1 back wages years later to a small number of effected employees isn't effective.

Also Colorado is on the ball here: https://www.constructiondive.com/news/colorado-bill-set-to-make-wage-theft-a-felony/552130/

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yet if a cashier pockets a buck out the till, it's a crime. The only difference is the social status of the thief.
No, you see, she is just incurring a debt against the company. Of course, she has no intent of ever paying that debt, or keeping track of it, or notify the company she owes them that debt. But to punish her, would be akin to debtors prison.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Yikes, this is a new topic of concern for y'all?

This has been going on since before recorded time.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Show me where it is a crime? Using terms like "fraud" doesn't mean there is a criminal statute in place.
Actually, in many states, like Texas, this would be the crime 'Theft of Service'.

Regardless, my point still stands, not paying a bill isn't a crime - and if it's for something like a service, then you're effectively not paying their equivalency of wages - especially for independent contractors.
Texas also has a wage theft law making it a third degree felony to not pay your employees the full amount owed to them. So, the OP is wrong about it at least in a few states.
As a side note, Obama wrote an Executive Order banning government contracts or subsidies to any company found guilty of wage theft. Trump of course repealed it.

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Actually, in many states, like Texas, this would be the crime 'Theft of Service'.

Texas also has a wage theft law making it a third degree felony to not pay your employees the full amount owed to them. So, the OP is wrong about it at least in a few states.
As a side note, Obama wrote an Executive Order banning government contracts or subsidies to any company found guilty of wage theft. Trump of course repealed it.
I wonder how often charges are actually brought under the wage theft laws. I'm guessing not often.