Question WAAS Is Scary If "Restart" Lost Meaning

Comdrpopnfresh

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2006
It's cool having fluid security. What is not cool with Windows As A Service is the subtle changes that smell unsecure. Example?

Try this:
Assuming an updated Windows 10 (NON S) with a pin/passcode protected admin account... Open Chrome, and a tab with a youtube video playing. Audibly. Then restart the computer. Don't log in. Do you hear the video playing after a short while? Is that reasonable, when opening an untouched video in "a new tab" of Chrome won't behave the same? Since when is 'restart' analogous with waking a sleeping PC AND logging in AND user interaction that triggers a website script in a browser!?

Up until recently, the only thing that appeared after a restart was the desktop. Same for shutting down. Maybe it's me and years of confirmation bias, but Windows behaved like that since folders and a mouse became staples at the UI Dinner Table. Could some setting have changed via update? Is this the new norm? Are WAAS Devices now going for that hacky 'always on' feel that didn't work with Phone, RT, Mobile, and soon S? Is "hibernate" the new turn signal?

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I have never had that happen, but I have hibernation disabled. Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 all do a hybrid shutdown for faster startup. See if disabling hibernation solves it for you.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I've had this happen a couple of times lately, it would be playing youtube wouldn't hear anything for hours, then reboot and it's playing youtube from where it stopped while my computer is at the logon screen, it's never bothered me though.