w7 laptop, latest update borked battery charge indicator

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
just noticed that my battery charge indicator says "plugged in not charging".
if i unplug the charge goes down normally. if i plug in again, its stuck at the lower charge% and still say not charging.(i've restarted, cold booted, put in sleep, still no change in charge indicator)

the surface pro 2 thread indicates they are seeing similar bugs after a firmware update.

anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

hardware: fujitsu lifebook t902
soft: win 7 64bit home

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
That suggests a dodgy battery rather than a dodgy update. At least, every time I've seen that, it was due to a dodgy battery.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
That suggests a dodgy battery rather than a dodgy update. At least, every time I've seen that, it was due to a dodgy battery.
Or a dodgy charger. I've seen Dell chargers that will do exactly what's described if they start flaking out.

gorobei, go ahead and uninstall the latest batch of updates, and see if that fixes the issue. That'll help you narrow down the issue. If removing updates doesn't fix the problem, then it's a hardware fault.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
hmmm, thanks to w7 manditory updates i have no clue which batch caused this. i didnt notice the battery status thing until today. im going thru update history but its a mess.

im going to let it run down to 0 and see if plugging it in changes when i get the low battery warning.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
hmmm, thanks to w7 manditory updates i have no clue which batch caused this. i didnt notice the battery status thing until today. im going thru update history but its a mess.

im going to let it run down to 0 and see if plugging it in changes when i get the low battery warning.
You can just sort the updates by installation date. Since everything is pushed out on Patch Tuesday, all of the possible culprits will be from the same date. Just uninstall everything from that Tuesday.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
You can just sort the updates by installation date. Since everything is pushed out on Patch Tuesday, all of the possible culprits will be from the same date. Just uninstall everything from that Tuesday.

there arent any system updates on tuesdays, just security and some IE. the system stuff is spread out over the week. the uninstall control panel doesnt list what each system update does. im cross referencing with the update history.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
ah, found a fix.

shutdown.
remove battery.
plug ac.
restart.
shutdown.
reinstall battery.
restart.

sorry for all the trouble, thanks for all the responses.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Or a dodgy charger. I've seen Dell chargers that will do exactly what's described if they start flaking out.

True, though usually with those there's the warning before the OS starts booting... because the "thou shalt only buy Dell" chip on the genuine Dell charger has died.