W7 & home network, W7 and remote

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Please understand... I am an Uber Noob to networking, so if I'm missing something obvious...

Windows says:
You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to a computer using Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium.

#1) I have my HTPC connected to my router by LAN cable, I have my desktop connected via wifi... both run W7 Home Premium. Is there any way to connect these two computers to share files, etc?

#2) (...and more involved.) I am building a general use PC for my inlaws for Christmas; I live in Texas, they live in Nevada. It would be great to be able to remote into their computer to do maintenance and such, or if it crashes or something. Do both computers have to have W7Pro or above, or just one to be able to remote in?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
#1 - Yes, Windows file sharing will work just fine. RDP is for remote control

#2 - yes. I use Team Viewer, others recommend LogMeIn. Both of these will run on different versions of OS's and will work just fine.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Please understand... I am an Uber Noob to networking, so if I'm missing something obvious...

Do both computers have to have W7Pro or above, or just one to be able to remote in?

Just the One to Remote to (AKA the Host).

In your case your your in-laws computer has to run Win 7 Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise to control it from Remote.

In other cases my preference is TeamViewer. Its free and much more flexible than LogMeIn.

:cool:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Just the One to Remote to (AKA the Host).

In your case your your in-laws computer has to run Win 7 Pro/Ultimate/Enterprise to control it from Remote.

In other cases my preference is TeamViewer. Its free and much more flexible than LogMeIn.

That's a deal breaker... I need two-way remote. :\

The good news is TeamViewer is working very well, although I'm getting some black screen issues (bringing up video, I think.) I'm quite surprised at how fast it is... I figured there would be some lag but... at least here in the house while I'm setting it all up... there isn't, even over wifi.