W10: wifi doesn't always connect to network

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Hi all - so this has been happening since I installed Windows 10 (I think) but I've dealt with it until now. I'll wake the computer (desktop) from sleep or just turn it on and my home network won't be found and just tonight I restarted it 10 times to no avail. I have to resort to restarting the router and then that seems to be fine.

None of my other devices have this issue...tablets, phones, laptops, TV peripherals, etc.

I have to think it's an issue with the PC but maybe it's the router too. Any ideas? I'm about to buy a new network adapter but I'm afraid that will end up with the same problem.

Thanks.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
I've seen a number of wireless adapters with proper Win7/8.1 support get limited or no support on Win10, so it's likely the adapter just doesn't have proper drivers. What adapter are you using?

You could try setting the IP address for the adapter manually, in case it has trouble renewing the DHCP lease. Just make sure it's out of the router's DHCP range or high enough it won't cause IP address conflicts (eg, 192.168.1.225). You may also want to adjust the power save options of the network adapter.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
It's an old Realtek 8188SU chip. I think I'm just going to buy one on Amazon and see how it goes.