w0w.... just saw Neon Genesis Evangelion....

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
The whole series. One of my roommates owns the TV series, which we watched last week (well, I dropped in around episode 12 or so), and just tonight we watched the final movie.

Wow, wow, wow. What a mind-blowing experience. I've always hated "anime nerds", but I seriously think I'm gonna have to buy the DVDs :D

gentobu

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2001
Yeah, Its a great anime! But the last two episodes of the regular series are pretty lame IMHO.

AzNmAnJLH

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2002
My Review:

GOOD SERIES!!! But be forewarn this anime series should only be watched from beginning to end in one sitting otherwise you won't do it justice.

Egrimm

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2001
Yeah, it's a very good anime, one of the best IMO.

I got some of the tapes (got 'em before the dvd's came out), taped it all when it were on german tv, got fansubs of the movies (not anymore, cannot wait to bu the movies so I can watch it all on dvd) and all the dvds. Plus of course the manga, several artbooks, etc. Yes, I like it a lot ;)

bizmark, why did you hate "anime nerds"?

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Sorry to bring this thread back.
I just finished watching the Eva DVDs and am kind of confuse about the ending (last 2 eps).
I know there are 2 movies (Birth and Reborn & End of Evangelion). Are they kind of an alternate/preferred ending to the series?
Anyone know any website(s) that explains the series' ending? I searched google but all I get are fansites for the series.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GundamW
Sorry to bring this thread back.
I just finished watching the Eva DVDs and am kind of confuse about the ending (last 2 eps).
I know there are 2 movies (Birth and Reborn & End of Evangelion). Are they kind of an alternate/preferred ending to the series?
Anyone know any website(s) that explains the series' ending? I searched google but all I get are fansites for the series.
that makes makes this series so good, the ending is so fuct up ;)

Egrimm

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2001
Sorry to bring this thread back. I just finished watching the Eva DVDs and am kind of confuse about the ending (last 2 eps). I know there are 2 movies (Birth and Reborn & End of Evangelion). Are they kind of an alternate/preferred ending to the series? Anyone know any website(s) that explains the series' ending? I searched google but all I get are fansites for the series.

The first movie, Death and Rebirth is just a rehash of what happens until ep 24. The second movie, End of Evangelion, has another ending, but it can be discussed it truly is another ending or just what happens from a point of view that's more clear.

Here's a list of the order the eps and movies have in the overall storyline: http://vk.mine.nu/NGE_order.htm

If you want to know more details of what I think happens PM me as I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't watched it yet.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I'm getting ready to watch the DVD.....my friend ordered it, but it's on backorder.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I borrowed the movie DVD from my friend and didn't understand it at all. Fortunately, our resident "anime nerds" here on ATOT explained it all to me.

max105

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
heh, I used to think anime were for losers :) Guess i'm a loser now since I'm slowly getting into the crowd. I've heard good things about evangelion too...it's been on my list of things to see.

hoihtah

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
ok... i'll have to take a peak when i get home.
i heard much of it...
but still haven't seen it yet.

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Egrimm

The first movie, Death and Rebirth is just a rehash of what happens until ep 24. The second movie, End of Evangelion, has another ending, but it can be discussed it truly is another ending or just what happens from a point of view that's more clear.

Here's a list of the order the eps and movies have in the overall storyline: http://vk.mine.nu/NGE_order.htm

If you want to know more details of what I think happens PM me as I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't watched it yet.

Thanks for the link. I guess I will have to watch End of Evangelion before I make more comments of the end of the series.
Is there anything new in the Death and Rebirth movie vs. the TV series? Can I skip it all together? Is it worth getting if I have the TV series set already?

Originally posted by: Doggiedog

I borrowed the movie DVD from my friend and didn't understand it at all. Fortunately, our resident "anime nerds" here on ATOT explained it all to me.

Nah, you should start with the TV series if you can. Explaining thru words aren't the same as watching the anime and you will miss a lot of the details and the developments.

Originally posted by: max105

heh, I used to think anime were for losers Guess i'm a loser now since I'm slowly getting into the crowd. I've heard good things about evangelion too...it's been on my list of things to see.
Good for you. People disregard anime because they never really sit down and look at some of the good one. Once they are exposed to enough anime, their opinion will change. But the first step is always the hard one.

Egrimm

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2001
Thanks for the link. I guess I will have to watch End of Evangelion before I make more comments of the end of the series. Is there anything new in the Death and Rebirth movie vs. the TV series? Can I skip it all together? Is it worth getting if I have the TV series set already?
It's not necessary to understand the last movie or the series but it has a little bit new footage, nothing really important though. But it's cut different so you see things a little different. And it's always nice to get more of a good thing even though you've seen most of it before.
I guess you can skip it and not really miss something, but let me put it this way: I'm getting it even though I also have the series, but then again I like NGE a lot.

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Egrimm

It's not necessary to understand the last movie or the series but it has a little bit new footage, nothing really important though. But it's cut different so you see things a little different. And it's always nice to get more of a good thing even though you've seen most of it before.
I guess you can skip it and not really miss something, but let me put it this way: I'm getting it even though I also have the series, but then again I like NGE a lot.

Thanks for the info. But I think I will wait for the release of End of Evangelion movie, they might have a special on the two movies together.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
kewl robots.

f*cked up unedited story line, some cr@ppy animation budget during non action scenes, horrible ending:p

patsun123

Feb 26, 2001
definitely a horrible ending. Its like it took all its potential and just threw it in the trashcan for the last 2 episodes. you can argue me all you want, but if it werent for all the other fans out there that felt the same way, End of Eva would never have been done to finish everything up. Its not that i didnt understand the ending (as much as one can understand that ending), i just didnt like it.

but its just my opinion.

escaflowne
scryed
kenshin
trigun
c. bebop

those were good.

hajime no ippo is good too!! too bad its not done yet.

diskop

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
End of Eva wasn't really a finishing up as much as an alternate viewpoint to the end. The first one, eps 25 and 26 were great, since it really did illustrate what the series was about. Not just big robots fighting. Which was cool as hell though.

vinnyracer

Golden Member
Oct 12, 1999
I just want to know, does this Perfect Collection comes with episode 25. I just check at Amazon.com and it said it doesn't include episdoe 25.

Does this set include all 26 episodes?

Can someone verify this for me.