W The Movie

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810026489/info

Oliver Stone delivers a political film right before an election.

Does this look pro or con for Bush? Watching the trailer, it looks like it reinforces stereotypes (truths?) about Bush and this administration.

I know everything in the news right now is either market meltdowns, bailouts, and Sarah Palin, but does anyone have a thought on this?

My prediction = modest box office hit, little to zero voting/political impact.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Sane people by now have already decided they will vote away the republicans. The problem with this movie is that even if it shows Bush as a blundering idiot leading a party of fools (which would be accurate), some people have a terrible sour grapes mentality (like the few house reps who switched because of pelosi's speech) and some would vote republican because of it, in some silly way to resist their earlier mistakes rubbed in their face.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I dont see this movie doing any better than the dozen or so Iraq movies that came out

We all just survived the GWB administration (barely) why the fck would I want to go see a movie remaking the whole damn thing?!

D

Deleted member 4644

From what I have heard, it makes bush look like a semi-moron (truth?), but it is not an attack on Republicans in general.

Probably fairly little impact. I think most people are focused on Mccain and Obama now.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Meh, it's Oliver Stone. I'll watch it purely for entertainment value.

I don't need a movie to tell me how tragic this administration has been.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The name is stupid. "W."?

How about "The Chronicles Of Douchebag"?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
It looks like it could be pretty good, but I honestly don't understand why he'd release it during Bush's last few months unless all he's trying to do is sway voters. Which is stupid. His career to me is still summed up by masterpieces like JFK and Born on the Fourth of July.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
It's a shame they made it now so they don't show how he disappears from public at the end.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
:thumbsup: - :thumbsup: - :thumbsup:
(I'm a mutant)

Stone outsmarted himself.

If he would have waited he would have gotten a lot more material:

The $1 Trillion Bailout
The October Surprise
The Stock Market Crash
Felony indictment of Alberto
The Bush Pardon List

and we can only hope ...

The Last American Patriot: The Whistle-Blower Who Outs Cheney

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
It's a shame they made it now so they don't show how he disappears from public at the end.

Well, that's kind of a given. Quite a few Presidents do that, so I guess they don't need to show it.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: winnar111

Well, that's kind of a given. Quite a few Presidents do that, so I guess they don't need to show it.

All Stone would have to show is that lonely walk Bush took down the sidewalk back into the White House.

Almost made me cry .... in happiness. The Douche in Chief will forever be remembered as, ""The Worst President in American History""

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill
Oliver Stone is a moron, but I would like to see this.
He's made some good movies, I doubt a Moron would be able to do that.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999

The same thing could be said about getting elected President..

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I think the average moron would be perfectly capable of it.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

I think the average moron would be perfectly capable of it.

I think you risk making yourself look like a moron with such a moronic statement.

You can dislike Stone's political views all you wish, but the man has helmed some incredibly well-made films, such as JFK.

You can call him a douchebag is that makes you feel better, but you cannot call Oliver Stone a moron.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, little to none political impact. Films take a long time to go from idea through development to the screen. This film suffers from bad timing.

Just look at the recent bailout crisis. Not one American was thinking, "ZOMG, what will Still President Bush say or do about this?"

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I think it will quite possibly be a flop and have no impact at all.

If he had released it 6+ years from now or so it probably would have done better. I think people are ready to forget about Dubya for a while. :p