VX922 Horizontal Line Issues

luke20

May 28, 2006
So here's the thing, I have just recieved my new rig from ABS; an Ultimate M6 Sniper. I also purchased with it, a VX922 LCD. They systems specs are as follows:

A8N32-SLI-Deluxe Mainboard
Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V 550W Power Supply
AMD Athlon FX-60 @ 2612.0 MHz
2048MBytes Corsair XMS DDR @ 400 MHz 3.3.8.9
2 eVGA 7900GT's in SLI @ 500MHz Core Clock, 1500MHz Memory Clock *Stock*
Running 91.28 BETA Forceware Drivers
Creative X-Fi Extreme Music

ABS tested the sytem via 3DMark 01-05, scores were:
3DMark01: 30898
3DMark03: 18717
3DMark05: 9399

When I plugged in my VX922 via DVI and booted her up, the system was working fine, but I immediately took notice to some unpleasant eye candy. There were horizontal lines that covered the entire screen. First thing I did was update my video card drivers and get my monitor drivers installed. After a reboot I was confident they would not be there, I was wrong. I thought maybe these lines were intentional and they were only about a pixel in width and were quite small. I booted up Farcry and then some World of Warcraft and noticed the textures almost looked washed out because of the lines that I could see basically all over most textures. I dabbled with the refresh rate, never exceeding 75Hertz @ 1024x1280 , they were still there.

I was pretty worried at this point so I decided to plug in my older Dell 1800FP. I booted up the computer and there were no visible lines, which to me immediately threw out the possibility of a video card problem. I tried both DVI ports with the same results and also tried the monitor on an older HP, the lines were there.

Here is where it gets GOOD; I've previously owned a VX924 a VP201b and a Samsung 940b that have all yeilded the same lines but on the Hewlett Packard rig. I was also using an eVGA card, but a single stock 7800GT. Yet the 1800FP from Dell yieled ZERO horizontal lines. At this point I'm thinking these lines are necessary, and for some reason I just notice them more than really.. anybody else should. Lately I've been doing research on this problem and came across this review: http://www.itp.net/reviews/details.php?id=2699&category=

If you notice the part where it says "Getting down to testing however, the Viewsonic had issues. The monitor's display was filled with horizontal lines which seriously affected quality. Trying to correct this via the 'Auto Image Adjust' setting didn't help, which suggested internal problems." Then you will realize that I'm now debating that every previous monitor i've purchased was just faulty? Could my luck really be that bad?

I know this was long, but it's just rediculous @ this point to keep dishing out cash for these NICE LCD's that all have the EXACT SAME problem. I'm open to any opinions/help that can be provided. Thanks..

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Tweak the 'front porch' or other values in the NVIDIA advanced refresh rates control dialog and see if that remedies it. It fixed some weird lines issue with Dell 2005FPW monitors.

luke20

May 28, 2006
I'm a tad worried concerning messing with stuff I am not familiar with. Can you give me a better idea of what I should tinker with?

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Take a look here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php...0f15050bd8&p=1028426603#post1028426603

Today, however, I noticed a more prominent problem: horizontal lines running down across the whole screen. They are just slightly darker than the background color, and move at about 1 inch/second. I would not have noticed them if my wallpaper did not have a large area of uniform color.

I just got my new 2005FPW yesterday. I checked for dead pixels and found two....not a big deal I guess. I'm using the DVI input.
Then as I was reading this post I noticed the horizontal bars moving down the screen on the left edge....thanks a lot!!
I have a 6800 GT and I played around with the advanced timing settings. I changed the "vertical lines -> front porch" value from 3 to 6 and the moving lines went away.

About what front porch is:

Front Porch is a slight adjustment to the vertical refresh rate. When you make that change, if my memory serves me correctly, will change the v-refresh about .1.

I'd recommend setting your display to 60 Hz then messing with front porch. If it only happens at 75 Hz then you'll have to use 75 Hz. If you set the front porch too high you'll get "out-of-range" on your monitor. If you get that, you should press reset and see if Windows will boot regularly. If not use the XP "Enable VGA mode". Hopefully it won't happen. In any case if the refresh rate is .1 Hz too high it isn't going to damage your monitor.

luke20

May 28, 2006
K so I went ahead and slapped on another monitor, an LG 1932TQ. Now the lines have gotten bigger but are only noticeable on grays and light shades of color. In game I also can notice the lines on distant textures and sometimes a few some upclose textures. I went in and attempted to set the advanced timing to 75hz and I was getting the snow type static effect on certain background colors. And now I can't seem to take it back down to 60 no matter how hard I try, it keeps defaulting back to 75..

Again the lines are not visible except on certain backgrounds, and a few textures in games.

Another strange problem is whenever I move in game, I see pixels then when I stop movement, I cannot see them. Is this a form of ghosting?

Thanks