VW probe may require Jetta sedan recall due to faulty a$$ warmers

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Man, those things can get freaking HOT on the highest setting. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing though. It seems to me, if your butt is getting too toasty, turn the thing down!

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I accidentally flipped on the ass warmer on a rental car without being aware of it--scary experience :D I was like--"WTF?"

Feb 10, 2000
I like VWs, but their build quality makes it tough to seriously consider them. My GF has a GTI that I really enjoy driving, but the thing has been a major problem child.

SALvation

Apr 10, 2001
This is hilarious, I just had the seat in my 2002 Jetta replaced yesterday because the heat warmer malfunctioned and burned a hole through the seat and my jeans. I thought I was just an isolated case.

I noticed a burn mark in my jeans last week and thought it was just rust or something. The next day when I hopped in the car to go to work I noticed a hole about the size of a quarter burned all the way through the seat. Dealer said it was a heating element malfunction and they just put the new seat in yesterday. Wonder if I can get in a class action suit? :D

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
Originally posted by: SALvation
This is hilarious, I just had the seat in my 2002 Jetta replaced yesterday because the heat warmer malfunctioned and burned a hole through the seat and my jeans. I thought I was just an isolated case.

I noticed a burn mark in my jeans last week and thought it was just rust or something. The next day when I hopped in the car to go to work I noticed a hole about the size of a quarter burned all the way through the seat. Dealer said it was a heating element malfunction and they just put the new seat in yesterday. Wonder if I can get in a class action suit? :D

Get an attorney and tell them your car tore you a new @sshole and would like to get comped.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by: SALvation

you sure you didn't just fart *really* hard and that's what burned a hole in your jeans?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Asharus
Originally posted by: Skoorb
HAHAHAAH what a piece of crap VW is.

Nah, I kinda dig VWs and Audis.
They are nice, except their quality and reliability is pathetic, that's all. If you're ever bored go over to edmunds and read the consumer reviews on some of the late model ones :p

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Is it me or do half the jettas on the road have some sort of taillight malfunction.
They seem to be pretty random too. One time on freeway, the dude was driving and his rear lights were on. The other time, some other guy was changing lanes, and instead of blinker, the middle stop light was blinking. I guess it's one of those things you won't notice unless someone tells you.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
VW should throw in a pair of insulated pants with each car sold!

I can't believe it. My first car was a 1973 Saab 99 with 100k miles on it. It had A$$ warmers in the front seats and I never had any problems with it. This is 30 freakin' years later and VW can't design and implement an a$$ warmer that doesn't set you on fire? Good job guys. Really, give yourself a nice fat raise.
rolleye.gif

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Is it me or do half the jettas on the road have some sort of taillight malfunction.
They seem to be pretty random too. One time on freeway, the dude was driving and his rear lights were on. The other time, some other guy was changing lanes, and instead of blinker, the middle stop light was blinking. I guess it's one of those things you won't notice unless someone tells you.
My g/f just had something to do with her taillights replaced when she took her car in. I think that if it hadn't been under warranty, it would have cost somewhere around $2000 to take it in, all things included.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: BornStar18
My g/f just had something to do with her taillights replaced when she took her car in. I think that if it hadn't been under warranty, it would have cost somewhere around $2000 to take it in, all things included.
That's pathetic that a car under warranty is so new that $2k needs done on it. I guess it could happen with any brand, but the fact it's a VW I won't give it the benefit of the doubt :)

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: BornStar18
That's pathetic that a car under warranty is so new that $2k needs done on it. I guess it could happen with any brand, but the fact it's a VW I won't give it the benefit of the doubt :)
Whoops, I was high. They fixed the alarm (third time we had it in), replaced a missing trim piece, replaced the window latches, replaced brake light switch and they "repaired loose hose connection at turbocharger intake. I have no clue what the last one was, but the total, including labor was $979.21. This is on a 2002 1.8T Jetta.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I think you really take your chances with a VW... A friend of mine has nothing but problems with his 2002 1.8T Beetle, was in the shop ALL THE TIME (and not because of small problems either, but the car won't start etc)... Finally got sick of it and traded it in for an Acura TSX...

Another friend of mine has a 2002 1.8T Jetta, and he hasn't had much problems with it... He's quite happy with his Jetta...

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Only VW could build a seat warmer that would set your ass on fire. To think, not that long ago, AT was a VW whorehouse. It's kind of funny to watch the old VW hos one by one jump ship after they realize firsthand that VWs are sh*tmobiles.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And yet another VW bashing thread, brought on by none other than NFS4! I swear to god, you start these things because you get some kind of high over watching the collective AT'ers bash VW to hell and back. That's really the only point of these threads. I mean there is nothing else productive going on here and the topic has been beaten to death. Why don't you post a thread every time there's a recall on a Toyota? Or a Chevy? How about BMW or Mercedes? And before anyone gives a smart aleck response, yes these brands DO HAVE RECALLS, ALL THE TIME.

VTEC01EX

Mar 8, 2002
Triumph, NFS4 didn't taint the direction of this thread. All we needed was the usual ATOT effect for that to happen. But, to be fair (because the world is fair), apparently there's a recall out on my Honda Civic. Something about the headlight switch frying and I could randomly lose my low-beam headlights. It's not just VW, but VW's recalls are funnier - my car hasn't burned a new hole in my arse!