Vulkano vs Orb vs Something Else?

wbynum

Jul 14, 2005
I'm wanting a solution to stream TV from my Dish Network receiver to my laptop and Android phone/tablet remotely. A couple options I see is a $99 Vulkano Flow box or installing Orb on a PC with a capture card. If all I care about is streaming live TV, which is the better solution?

Both are probably about the same cost to me. If I went with Orb, I already have a PC sitting idle that I could use. I would just need to buy the capture card and I am assuming an Orb compatible IR blaster. I do like the simplicity of the Vulkano solution though. Also, I assume the Vulkano unit would use less power to than the Phenom II x4 PC that I would use for Orb. Which solution streams the highest video quality? I assume I would use the component outputs from my Dish receiver.

Anything I have not thought of? Any other solution besides SlingBox (heard to many horror stories about SlingBox). Again, are don't care to much about streaming "recorded" content or files such as MKV/AVI/MP3/etc. Thanks.

BTW, what I would kill for is if someone figured out how to stream LIVE content from a RelayTV unit. Still have two 5000 boxes sitting in the closet collecting dust. I know it is a pipe dream...

Last edited:

MikeL DISH

Nov 3, 2012
Hi there! My name is Mike LeMar and I'm with DISH Customer Support. I saw your post and wanted to provide you with some assistance! I understand that you're trying to stream TV to your laptop from your receiver. You can stream live TV and your DVR content on any mobile device or computer connected to the internet. For more information about it, visit http://www.mydish.com/support/sling-adapter. Let me know if you have any questions!

I'm wanting a solution to stream TV from my Dish Network receiver to my laptop and Android phone/tablet remotely. A couple options I see is a $99 Vulkano Flow box or installing Orb on a PC with a capture card. If all I care about is streaming live TV, which is the better solution?

Both are probably about the same cost to me. If I went with Orb, I already have a PC sitting idle that I could use. I would just need to buy the capture card and I am assuming an Orb compatible IR blaster. I do like the simplicity of the Vulkano solution though. Also, I assume the Vulkano unit would use less power to than the Phenom II x4 PC that I would use for Orb. Which solution streams the highest video quality? I assume I would use the component outputs from my Dish receiver.

Anything I have not thought of? Any other solution besides SlingBox (heard to many horror stories about SlingBox). Again, are don't care to much about streaming "recorded" content or files such as MKV/AVI/MP3/etc. Thanks.

BTW, what I would kill for is if someone figured out how to stream LIVE content from a RelayTV unit. Still have two 5000 boxes sitting in the closet collecting dust. I know it is a pipe dream...

ASK THE COMMUNITY