VRM Heatsink Fell off?

Floriante

Apr 27, 2012
I have a HD7870 Video card, i installed Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo 2 cooler.

Everything was fine but today i saw that one of the vrm heatsink has fallen off.

So i have two question:

1) Is it safe to play games while the heatsink is gone?

2) What can i do to reinstall the heatsink? I live in Turkey and i dont see much options available.

Will a thermal pad work? Or i saw a Silicone Thermal Adhesive.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fujik-s...ease-like-4579

Is this ok?

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
If you care about warranty and ability to resell, I wouldn't use adhesive. If you use it and try to take the heatsink off, you'll normally take the chip off with it.

This is what I use, they're sticky thermal pads. They work very well especially after cleaning the chips properly, and I use this to do the cleaning. Helps the adhesion immensely, in my experience. My heat sinks don't fall off anymore.

See if you can find something comparable that's available to you.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
You want them to be adhesive, because if they're just thermal pads, you'll have to rely on a mechanical means of keeping the heatsink on the chip.

Did your 7870 come with VRM cooling on the stock heatsink? You should be fine either way, as long as you're not overclocking much.

Floriante

Apr 27, 2012
Wait, i have an idea. I have just checked the stock cooler of my 7870 and i see the adhesive thermal pads which stick the large metal heatsink to all the vrm's

Here is the photo. My idea is to remove one little pad and glue the heatsink of arctic cooling. is this gonna work?

1ass2.jpg

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Is the heatsink part still sticky at all? You might be able to just re-apply it to the VRMs, except now you should apply more pressure and hold it down, and you can even heat it while applying pressure. Maybe, if you have a hair dryer and a screw driver, you can use the screwdriver to put pressure on the heatsink, then heat it with the hair dryer and it should stick on very well using that technique. Also use that technique on any other "stick-on" heatsinks with the sticky thermal pad.

I think the thermal pads from your picture above are not the sticky kind. Oh, when you heat up the heatsink, you'll notice the adhesive gets a bit easier to work with to really let you stick it on well.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Yea those are just thermal pads, not adhesive. I haven't seen any of those pads be sticky in any of the cards I've worked with in the past few years, since they're held down by screws anyway. They'll stick for a few minutes maybe and then fall off.

What do those Arctic Cooling heatsinks come with for the VRM/RAM heatsinks? Glue? Sticky pads?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Wait, i have an idea. I have just checked the stock cooler of my 7870 and i see the adhesive thermal pads which stick the large metal heatsink to all the vrm's

Here is the photo. My idea is to remove one little pad and glue the heatsink of arctic cooling. is this gonna work?

1ass2.jpg

I don't think that will work.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Do you have clearance to just put that bracket back on? Its purpose is as a heatsink anyway. Will the AC cooler clear it?

Floriante

Apr 27, 2012
No i will just remove a small adhesive thermal pad from the large heatsink and glue my heatsink with that pad.