[VR] NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 Specifications Revealed

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Are you putting stock into Charlie's well known dart board "journalism" strategy then?
Here is some pity for you, and for him.
Seriously though, you should know better than to take Charlies word on anything by now.

To be fair, Charlie did express skepticism and hedge on the $300 price, IIRC. He said he needed to follow up w/ other sources. But he was pretty adamant that GK104 would do very well and in some cases beat Tahiti, all for a lesser die size, lower thermals, etc. Where he appears to have messed up most was saying Kepler would fall to 7870 speeds in some cases (in his messy PhysX explanation article). I guess that MIGHT be true, and 7870 gets kinda close to 7950 in some cases so it's not too horrible, but I'm guessing that Charlie was wrong on that count, and that GK104 won't fall that far. Unless they messed up the drivers or something.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Suppose instead of 1536 CUDA cores it's 768 "hyperthreaded" CUDA cores? That would better explain the die size.

Just thinking out loud.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011
Suppose instead of 1536 CUDA cores it's 768 "hyperthreaded" CUDA cores? That would better explain the die size.

Just thinking out loud.

To maximize single-threaded performance, CPU cores have some components that are only used in the best case scenario. Hyper-threading is a way to make these components work when they would otherwise be idling. Not really something that's applicable to GPU's.

arh2o

Jan 22, 2005
Well this is disappointing. I waited to upgrade the last year for Kepler, expecting the GK104 to be a mid-range card that I could buy at $250-$300. Looks like now they're making it their flagship card $400-500 and I have to wait even LONGER for the GK106. Wonderful. And something tells me the GK106 is not even worth waiting for.