VR is dead, long live .....

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014
God no. Wetware only makes sense in times of technological stasis. You aren't exactly going to want to be popping a person open for this year's new hotness.

topmounter

Aug 3, 2010
God no. Wetware only makes sense in times of technological stasis. You aren't exactly going to want to be popping a person open for this year's new hotness.

I'd just be interested to see how many people register for the Public Beta o_O

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I would love the idea of being able to upgrade myself. Are you kidding? I would do it. I wouldn't mind a hard drive installation with lots of valuable knowledge on it, you know, the kind that takes people decades of dedicated study to acquire. I could have it all after a 2 hour surgery/installation, and one day, people will. Anyone can know or do anything so long as the knowledge exists somewhere.
Imagine in 50 years really smart people, like theoretical physicists and mathematicians in particular, would instantly become special ed students in comparison to an average person who had a couple implants.

Last edited:

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
I would love the idea of being able to upgrade myself. Are you kidding? I would do it. I wouldn't mind a hard drive installation with lots of valuable knowledge on it, you know, the kind that takes people decades of dedicated study to acquire. I could have it all after a 2 hour surgery/installation, and one day, people will. Anyone can know or do anything so long as the knowledge exists somewhere.
Imagine in 50 years really smart people, like theoretical physicists and mathematicians in particular, would instantly become special ed students in comparison to an average person who had a couple implants.

The first issue I see with that is the separation of knowledge and wisdom - which I like to call "the application of knowledge". The second, related issue would be memory - muscle memory and reflex for external skills (surgery, etc.) and cognitive memory and reflex for utilizing all those data you have access to.

Consider that even now we have access to nearly anything we could want to know via external memory (Internet), but in order to process it, you still need understanding of the fundamentals and practical application to master it. To do what you're proposing - consume data and be an expert on a topic ("I know Kung Fu!") - would not be possible without also consuming the learned pathways for that topic. Even then, knowing how to do a cartwheel kick and having the strength and agility to do so are two different things. Then we're faced with a deeper issue - at what point do you begin overwriting your own self?

Very interesting indeed.

xthetenth

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2014

I'd totally add capability but I wouldn't mount them internally until more capability becomes a long way away or superfluous.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The first issue I see with that is the separation of knowledge and wisdom - which I like to call "the application of knowledge". The second, related issue would be memory - muscle memory and reflex for external skills (surgery, etc.) and cognitive memory and reflex for utilizing all those data you have access to.

Consider that even now we have access to nearly anything we could want to know via external memory (Internet), but in order to process it, you still need understanding of the fundamentals and practical application to master it. To do what you're proposing - consume data and be an expert on a topic ("I know Kung Fu!") - would not be possible without also consuming the learned pathways for that topic. Even then, knowing how to do a cartwheel kick and having the strength and agility to do so are two different things. Then we're faced with a deeper issue - at what point do you begin overwriting your own self?

Very interesting indeed.

These are valid points, but I see them as only a blip on the radar screen as far as obstacles go. The benefits and payoff are far too great for anything to stop this kind of progress.
I can see it starting with basic computation. In other words, installing a calculator in our heads. I think if people had the ability to easily compute, they would be far more capable of attaining in depth mathematical understanding and concepts could actually evolve in their minds. But without any ability to compute anything, only the few gifted very smart people are able to attain in depth mathematical understanding.
I think in the future, the average person will be far more capable that the best engineers of today. Today's specialized knowledge will become tomorrow's common knowledge and our society will reflect such a shift in spectacular fashion.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
These are valid points, but I see them as only a blip on the radar screen as far as obstacles go. The benefits and payoff are far too great for anything to stop this kind of progress.
I can see it starting with basic computation. In other words, installing a calculator in our heads. I think if people had the ability to easily compute, they would be far more capable of attaining in depth mathematical understanding and concepts could actually evolve in their minds. But without any ability to compute anything, only the few gifted very smart people are able to attain in depth mathematical understanding.
I think in the future, the average person will be far more capable that the best engineers of today. Today's specialized knowledge will become tomorrow's common knowledge and our society will reflect such a shift in spectacular fashion.

Great, lets remove natural selection of intelligence based mental processes. When everyone all of a sudden has Einstein beating IQ, who will want to do our taxes? Cook our food? Change our tires?

Oh yeah.. robots can do all of that.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
This is so not a vc&g thing. I have abandoned this thread, but not before declaring that I have abandoned this thread.

LEGIT

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Welcome to 1978?

Ps didn't read

- The Matrix is pushing 17 years now.. Seems like history is up for a rematch.

- It would be the most awsome thing -ever-. It do raise alot ALOT of questions though. Like you know, if it is on the internet, wikipedia even then it must be true. Who will define the rethorics, angle of propaganda in all that material (I can see deep learning transforming texts into formarts easily adopted by the biological counterpart). How woudl critical thought be applied to autonomous learning? - anyway, still want one :).

Very interesting indeed.

I see we share some of the same thoughts on the subject. Very interesting indeed.

Great, lets remove natural selection of intelligence based mental processes. When everyone all of a sudden has Einstein beating IQ, who will want to do our taxes? Cook our food? Change our tires?

Oh yeah.. robots can do all of that.

Natural selection as a factor of genetic human progression is debateable

http://discovermagazine.com/2009/mar/09-they-dont-make-homo-sapiens-like-they-used-to

The evolution of the human species lies, IMO, entirely in our technological prowess, from engineering retro viruses that will slice and dice our own running code(crispr-cas9, think to the future of this tech, get an aveage of 10.000 of your own cells and replace all of your aging dna throughout your body with 'young ones') to improved methods of communication and data storage. It is a good thing we 'plateaued' at a stage where we were able to pull technology - as we know it - off, or we woulda been at a dead end.

I'd just be interested to see how many people register for the Public Beta o_O

I would be concerned that version 1.0 was a showstopper for getting 2.0 .. you know, early adopters getting left behind? Other than that? Bring it.

Final note : If VR is gonna take off like I think it is, it could easily fund this research and then some. The future is in flux, love it.

Last edited: