VPU Recovery Errors

mike288

Jan 10, 2006
I started playing battle field 2 with my 9800 pro, and i played it fine for about 2 weeks, but now im starting to get vpu recovery errors, which really hurt gameplay. I tried turning down graphics,and installing new drivers, but nothing helps, please post if you have anything to help

Severian

Oct 30, 2004
You can try checking the card's GPU fan to make sure it's still working; I've seen a few ATI cards *cough* Sapphire *cough* that had a less than stellar fan bite the dust, and the first symptom was the VPU recovery error. If the fan is still spinning, I'd power the computer down, remove the 9800Pro, and visually inspect the GPU HSF for dust accumulation, it's possible the fan isn't able to cool the GPU because the heatsink is clogged. Lastly, you could remove the entire HSF and see what condition the thermal compound is in. It might need to be replaced.

good luck

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Severian
You can try checking the card's GPU fan to make sure it's still working; I've seen a few ATI cards *cough* Sapphire *cough* that had a less than stellar fan bite the dust, and the first symptom was the VPU recovery error. If the fan is still spinning, I'd power the computer down, remove the 9800Pro, and visually inspect the GPU HSF for dust accumulation, it's possible the fan isn't able to cool the GPU because the heatsink is clogged. Lastly, you could remove the entire HSF and see what condition the thermal compound is in. It might need to be replaced.

good luck

Good advice.

mike288

Jan 10, 2006
i did all that before... i dusted it off and i sitll get vpu errors, the fan is spinning and i just dusted it off with some air.

Severian

Oct 30, 2004
then I'd remove the GPU's HSF, and inspect and probably replace the thermal compound.

You do have the video card's PSU power connector attached, right? My 9800Pro used a floppy disk style connector for power.

You can use ATITool or other software to check your GPU's temps, but I'm not sure if the 9800Pro supports it.

You can also try updating to the latest drivers from ATI.

If none of this works, you have to start suspecting more nefarious problems, like a shaky PSU, or dying video card. Battlefield2 is a helluva workout for a 9800Pro, though.

Good luck

Severian

Oct 30, 2004
before you replace the GPU HSF, I'd remove it and inspect and replace the thermal compound. Remove the card, then use needle-nose pliers to compress the expandable clamps from the back of the card, and the HSF will pop right off, assuming there's no epoxy on it. Take this opportunity to really clean the GPU and HSF, apply new fresh thermal compound, then put the HSF back on, and try again.