Question VPN connection

Vily_Bell

May 3, 2022
Please tell me, I connect to the office through the VPN, but there are difficulties in working with large files.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
VPN can only be as fast as your slowest link's upload speed. You also have to factor in the speed loss caused by encryption.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
When connected to the VPN do a speed test and see what your available BW is. Chances are it's not very high due to all other users connected at the same time and using OVPN instead of wire guard cuts the throughput in 1/2.

It depends on how your IT department configured the VPN server you're connecting to as well as the routes / links outside of the office. The links internally matter as well for getting from the VPN server to the file server.

If getting to things other than work related destinations is an issue you might be able to turn on split tunneling to exempt normal internet traffic from using the tunnel and going straight out to the internet.

Another factor could be the PC you're using to connect as it's also doing encrypt/decrypt on the packets as well.

sj92

Dec 15, 2021
When running VPN my computer restarts at a random interval. It is very annoying.

Everything fine when I run the PC without VPN. So I guess there is a relation between the VPN and the automatic rebooting of my computer.

Seems you have software conflicts on your PC and forces it to restart automatically.

Reasons Behind the Automatic Rebooting of a PC

Please tell me, I connect to the office through the VPN, but there are difficulties in working with large files.
Is it a paid proxy service or free version? If it is paid version, you should contact their customer support to fix it.

One workaround is to encrypt and zip the file before sending.

Last edited:

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Nord does.

In my experience NordVPN doesn't support 1Gb connections fully. When they moved to the NordLynk protocol, I went from about 256Mbps to about 600Mbps on my 1Gb connection (regional parameters perhaps?). Since we use 2 different flavors of Nord, the win10 app and the openVPN code on my router, and DL very large game installs, I can safely say that it works fine for my needs. To complicate things, my wife has a home work connection on a separate PC that uses her companies VPN that forbids ANY tampering.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I knew VPN processing was intensive, but not that much. Do you use NordVPN with NordLynk protocol enabled? If so, do you use Quick Connect for fastest server select? I do and it picks the Chicago server, which is about 40-miles away. My ISP, comcast, is pretty good, as long as they aren't shot-gunning infrastructure. I use an ASUS a GT-AXE11000 that has a 4-core CPU which has handled everything I've tossed at it so far. I'd like to know more about your kit to get an idea about why your line performance is so good, Junky.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Yes yes mine connects 200mi away lynx is wireguard which gets you closer to line speed.

Well, I'm using a 12700k for starters for multiple apps/ functions. The routers only use a single CPU rather than all of them for VPN and that's your bottleneck.

With WG it spawns more threads as the demand picks up. Try disabling all your ad ons and test the speedbto compare.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Yes yes mine connects 200mi away lynx is wireguard which gets you closer to line speed.

Well, I'm using a 12700k for starters for multiple apps/ functions. The routers only use a single CPU rather than all of them for VPN and that's your bottleneck.

With WG it spawns more threads as the demand picks up. Try disabling all your ad ons and test the speedbto compare.

For a better idea of your kit; you do/don't use nord?

I'll see if I can selectivity disable cores on my router CPU.

Also, what qualifies as an "addon," TJ? Thanks BTW...

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I use Nord with wireguard aka Nordlynx.

Addon's are the junk marketed to be beneficial software packages like trendmicro or other packages you download to the router.