Voting Gary Johnson?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Been rocking his bumper sticker for a few months now. Had numerous yard signs stolen and hung door hangers.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Good for you. Be sure to vote 3rd party for state positions as well.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I might vote for him as a protest vote. I think that Obama is a lot less awful than Romney and would vote for him in a state where the election was close, but Maryland is certain to go blue.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I have been voting libertarian since the 1990s.

When bill clinton did his flip-flop on nafta, I realized there is no real difference between the two major parties.

I vote third party because I vote for real change.

Apr 27, 2012
obama and romney are both the same and corrupt but the morons dont understand this

Gary Johnson is a much better choice

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
I'll likely be voting Obama to spite the GOP.

Might as well vote for the GOP then. If they win, they get in and mess shit up big time. Big enough that you won't have to hear from them again. Either that or they do a stellar job and fix shit and you still win in the end. Obama wins and either does an outstanding job (unlikely) or screws the pooch as well which then again only helps the GOP.

So I guess if you think the next four years are going to be stellar under Obama you are making a good decision. Otherwise, your decision likely produces the exact opposite result. Either way, you've got something to think about.

Voting Johnson is the easier decision.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
I wouldn't vote for Johnson; his fiscal policies regarding free trade agreements and his favoring of a regressive FairTax are pretty significant strikes against him in my mind. But I do agree that we need viable third party candidates; the two party system we have now is not working and needs to be shaken up to get things back on track.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The parties are broken, a third party concept is broken, there is no hope at all unless true progressives who will vote money out of politics are elected. The only other real but also impossible hope is a Constitutional convention. Folk blame the parties but allow the elections to be all about who can raise the most money, and then you wonder why they are both the same. In order to win you have to have some of the one percent and that makes you beholden to them. Get real. There is nothing to do but vote for the lesser of two evils until a real alternative that can't appear does anyway.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Why would I vote for a candidate whose policy views I disagree with just to "protest" the 2 major parties? I'm going to vote Obama because his policies are closest to what I agree with. If I felt a particular third party candidate was the best person for the job, I'd vote third party without hesitation, regardless of whether my vote was being wasted.

One other point: you'll find that the number of people saying they'll vote third party and the number of people actually voting third party are two very different things. If you go by what you read on internet discussion forums, social media and tweets, it sounds like third party candidate are going to do very well. Let's see what actually happens.

Last edited:

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
The parties are broken, a third party concept is broken, there is no hope at all unless true progressives who will vote money out of politics are elected. The only other real but also impossible hope is a Constitutional convention. Folk blame the parties but allow the elections to be all about who can raise the most money, and then you wonder why they are both the same. In order to win you have to have some of the one percent and that makes you beholden to them. Get real. There is nothing to do but vote for the lesser of two evils until a real alternative that can't appear does anyway.
Money only matters because zombies will be influenced by whoever buys the most air time. Maybe the real solution is to stem the tide of the zombie apocalypse.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Why would I vote for a candidate whose policy views I disagree with just to "protest" the 2 major parties?

A vote for a third party should not be done in protest, but in the hope for real change.

I wouldn't vote for Johnson; his fiscal policies regarding free trade agreements and his favoring of a regressive FairTax are pretty significant strikes against him in my mind..

Our tax system and trade system are broken.

So your answer is to keep the people in power that broke the system?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I wouldn't vote for Johnson; his fiscal policies regarding free trade agreements and his favoring of a regressive FairTax are pretty significant strikes against him in my mind. But I do agree that we need viable third party candidates; the two party system we have now is not working and needs to be shaken up to get things back on track.
System is broken and he has a rather stellar record of being a business and being the Governor of New Mexico. So he has a rather good resume and some ideas that are outside the norm, while the people with terrible resumes keep pimping ideas that we've heard a million times that we know don't work. Yeah that seems like a great idea.

The problem is we view it as a "3rd party" when there are actually numerous parties here in the USA, more than one can count, some even interweaved. We need to worry less about parties and more about the Union and ourselves.

And to wooolfe, when things don't change and everything continues down the path of shit. I hope you don't get offended when I point at you and say "you were part of the problem".

Apr 27, 2012
Why would I vote for a candidate whose policy views I disagree with just to "protest" the 2 major parties? I'm going to vote Obama because his policies are closest to what I agree with. If I felt a particular third party candidate was the best person for the job, I'd vote third party without hesitation, regardless of whether my vote was being wasted.

One other point: you'll find that the number of people saying they'll vote third party and the number of people actually voting third party are two very different things. If you go by what you read on internet discussion forums, social media and tweets, it sounds like third party candidate are going to do very well. Let's see what actually happens.

Shame on you, you dont even realize that obama serves Wall Street and the MIC which makes him the same as romney and bush

Feb 6, 2007
Our tax system and trade system are broken.

So your answer is to keep the people in power that broke the system?
I agree with you that our current tax and trade system are broken. But I wouldn't vote for a different system just because it is different; I consider whether it would be an improvement over what we have. In the case of the FairTax, I think it would be hugely regressive, hit me significantly worse than the current tax code, do nothing to address the enormous wealth disparity in our country, and not come close to raising enough revenue to keep us from running enormous deficits regardless of any proposed cuts. I'm not voting for a system that I fundamentally disagree with just because it's different than the broken system we have now.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Shame on you, you dont even realize that obama serves Wall Street and the MIC which makes him the same as romney and bush

It's not really a "shame" that I disagree with your assessment of the candidates. It's actually more of a sign that I'm at least remotely in touch with reality.

Apr 27, 2012
It's not really a "shame" that I disagree with your assessment of the candidates. It's actually more of a sign that I'm at least remotely in touch with reality.

No your not, obama and romney are the same. Don't you forget how he assassinated an American citizen?

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

So you're not looking to change, just status quo, glad we got that cleared up.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Money only matters because zombies will be influenced by whoever buys the most air time. Maybe the real solution is to stem the tide of the zombie apocalypse.

That won't work because you don't see that you are one of them. The money has already been spent to destroy your mind. You are the tide. That's why there's no hope. It's that beam and mote thing. But how can you trust me. You can't. You can't trust your own judgment and shouldn't.

There is very little hope that the mind of the brainwashed can be brought to recognize their own failure because of assumptions and ego. We think we know something and are proud of that knowledge. This is why Jesus sought out the meek. They are much closer to truth having no ego and no assumptions to lose. They are ripe for a new understanding. You are the rich man who could follow Christ if you gave your money away. Your riches are the self flattery of the ego. Good luck. As a person who has spent years trying to unlearn everything I was taught, if can only offer you my limited experience with this.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
System is broken and he has a rather stellar record of being a business and being the Governor of New Mexico. So he has a rather good resume and some ideas that are outside the norm, while the people with terrible resumes keep pimping ideas that we've heard a million times that we know don't work. Yeah that seems like a great idea.

The problem is we view it as a "3rd party" when there are actually numerous parties here in the USA, more than one can count, some even interweaved. We need to worry less about parties and more about the Union and ourselves.

And to wooolfe, when things don't change and everything continues down the path of shit. I hope you don't get offended when I point at you and say "you were part of the problem".

Ah, but because things don't change and everything continues down the same path, you are the one to blame. You can't convince people that you are right. You remain a third party irrelevancy because you can't get to a 50% vote. Shame on you for failing to present a message that persuades. It's all your fault, don't you see. Get real.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
That won't work because you don't see that you are one of them. The money has already been spent to destroy your mind. You are the tide. That's why there's no hope. It's that beam and mote thing. But how can you trust me. You can't. You can't trust your own judgment and shouldn't.

There is very little hope that the mind of the brainwashed can be brought to recognize their own failure because of assumptions and ego. We think we know something and are proud of that knowledge. This is why Jesus sought out the meek. They are much closer to truth having no ego and no assumptions to lose. They are ripe for a new understanding. You are the rich man who could follow Christ if you gave your money away. Your riches are the self flattery of the ego. Good luck. As a person who has spent years trying to unlearn everything I was taught, if can only offer you my limited experience with this.
I only know what I know. For example, I know that you're full of shit. You claim that everyone should be meek - just like you. You fail to see the contradiction you've become.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Ah, but because things don't change and everything continues down the same path, you are the one to blame. You can't convince people that you are right. You remain a third party irrelevancy because you can't get to a 50% vote. Shame on you for failing to present a message that persuades. It's all your fault, don't you see. Get real.

Not trying to convince people I'm right, I'm trying to convince them they and those they believe are right, aren't either.