Voting and the Coercive Reality it Perpetuates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
This is similar to a thought I had earlier today: the concept of property applies only to the individual. Therefore, there can be no such thing as "government property." The idea is contrary to the entire notion of government by and for the people. I disagree with the idea that coercion is always wrong because I feel that ethical guidelines should be enforced through laws. In my society, the role of voting would be to let the people decide what is considered ethical. Unfortunately, since we are in a world of thriving idiocy and ignorance, my society would likely also fail due to the selfishness and myopia of its members.

Very nice.

Personally, I see nothing to warrant the notion you can own anything. Suppose in a society of apes, one has a bunch of bananas and the others are starving. Now suppose too, that when all the other apes die the ape with the bananas will die to for lack of social protection. You can see that the ape can't really own the bananas. They must, of necessity, belong to everybody.

Humanity is asleep living in a wrong world. Competition is hate and so so is competition for things.

Yet, I bet you lock your doors at night. I bet you don't want anyone stealing your bananas. Or your Caddy.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
This is similar to a thought I had earlier today: the concept of property applies only to the individual. Therefore, there can be no such thing as "government property." The idea is contrary to the entire notion of government by and for the people. I disagree with the idea that coercion is always wrong because I feel that ethical guidelines should be enforced through laws. In my society, the role of voting would be to let the people decide what is considered ethical. Unfortunately, since we are in a world of thriving idiocy and ignorance, my society would likely also fail due to the selfishness and myopia of its members.

And previous societies have not done this?

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: sandorski
Name a Civilization without a Government.

That's the simple and successful argument against Anarchy.

Clown suits are a necessary evil.

People always remember it is necessary, but too often forget it is evil.

Fixed.

BTW, someone name a civilization that had a lasting minarchist state. Oh right, none has ever existed.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Evan
What's there to BS, I outlined in one sentence exactly why the YouTube video author was completely full of crap; no solutions were given to solve any of the real world problems we face, just a bunch of nonsense about gov't "stealing" money even though you are in no way forced to live in the U.S. to begin with.

Why is this argument only made against people who reject politics entirely? Rarely do you hear Republicans telling Democrats to leave the country. I guess if you don't believe in SOME kind of clown suit you are just way out of line, you need to LEAVE. Reminds me of this screed against atheists that was just posted on digg.com:

Text

It's time to stomp out atheists in America. The majority of Americans would love to see atheists kicked out of America. If you don't believe in God, then get out of this country. The United States is based on having freedom of religion, speech, etc., which means you can believe in God any way you want (Baptist, Catholic, Methodist etc.), but you must believe. I don't recall freedom of religion meaning no religion. Our currency even says, "In God We Trust." So, to all the atheists in America: Get off of our country. Atheists have caused the ruin of this great nation by taking prayer out of our schools and being able to practice what can only be called evil. I don't care if they have never committed a crime, atheists are the reason crime is rampant.

Alice Shannon
Soldotna

This is exactly the same same mentality rabid statists like Evan have towards those who are against politics: you can believe in whatever political faction you want (Republican, Democrat, Green etc.), but you MUST believe in some faction. If you don't believe in politics, then get out of this country.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Tab
And previous societies have not done this?
Generally, a society starts out this way. However, the power of the people to decide what is or is not ethical is gradually diminished in one way or another. In Rome, it was the marginalization of the senate. In the US, it was done through the courts. Now, the courts determine what is or is not allowable and the people have no recourse. This is completely obvious given the recent string of amendments disallowing non-traditional marriages, which generally pass by an overwhelming margin only to be overturned by the courts shortly thereafter. I'm in no way implying my support for such amendments, only pointing them out as one obvious case where the people decided one thing only to have that decision cast aside by the powers that be.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: SleepWalkerX
Ouch, my kind. That's nice, categorize me and lump me with a negative label.

These are simply philosophical queries, I'm not sure why you're so hostile towards ideas. Here's a question I have, if its considered immoral or unethical to take property or money from another individual through violence or force then is it ethical or moral for the government to force me to pay them for their services and throw me in jail if i don't comply? Is that not stealing by another name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract

wikipedia is how i'm rolling tonight.

Yet you never even questioned the supposed 'air tight' logic of the social contract. The social contract is pure mysticism.

It is very easy to refute.

We start off with proposition A:

The social contract is good.

Now, because the social contract is good, I should be able to enter into a social contract with my neighbor down the street, right? I tell him I am going to collect $10,000 a year from him for mowing his lawn every week and that he is tacitly consenting to this arrangement by not moving away. But if I do that, then those who were in the original social contract via the Constitution will stop me and say that is bad.

Now we have proposition B:

The social contract is bad.

Now we arrive at a contradiction. The mysticism of the social contract is that it only applies to a select group of people arbitrarily chosen by a ritual political process. These individuals give themselves titles such as 'king,' 'prince' or 'representative.' These are what I call clown suits. They claim that the social contract is only good when applied to them and no one else, in other words, that which is bad mysteriously becomes good when applied to clowns Gonzo, Bonzo and Fonzo. When it is applied to Lanzo, Yanzo and Manzo, not only is it bad but it is outright criminal.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004

These are simply philosophical queries, I'm not sure why you're so hostile towards ideas. Here's a question I have, if its considered immoral or unethical to take property or money from another individual through violence or force then is it ethical or moral for the government to force me to pay them for their services and throw me in jail if i don't comply? Is that not stealing by another name?

No, it's common sense because no alternative has been suggested that would be superior to government (a collection of average Americans like any body private or public) and which is tasked with overseeing and distributing services. A strong federal gov't dates back to our founding. I cannot help that you do not understand any of it.

Wait. Before we can begin to talk about alternatives we have to settle our ethical questions. Because otherwise, why bother talking about change? Again, if its ethically unacceptable for you and I to forcefully take money from another human and threaten to lock him in a room unless the person pays us then how is it ethically acceptable for someone in the government to do this to you or I?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Dissipate
What's there to BS, I outlined in one sentence exactly why the YouTube video author was completely full of crap; no solutions were given to solve any of the real world problems we face, just a bunch of nonsense about gov't "stealing" money even though you are in no way forced to live in the U.S. to begin with.

Why is this argument only made against people who reject politics entirely? Rarely do you hear Republicans telling Democrats to leave the country. I guess if you don't believe in SOME kind of clown suit you are just way out of line, you need to LEAVE. Reminds me of this screed against atheists that was just posted on digg.com:

Text

As I said before, you aren't forced to live here, so it can't be coercion unless you have a fundamental inability to interpret English definitions accurately. It has nothing to do with some nonsense about dissent, which is the lifeblood of this country. There's reasonable dissent and lunatic dissent. Guess which one yours falls under.

This is exactly the same same mentality rabid statists like Evan have towards those who are against politics: you can believe in whatever political faction you want (Republican, Democrat, Green etc.), but you MUST believe in some faction. If you don't believe in politics, then get out of this country.

See above. Also, as I predicted, you wimped out of answering the fundamental point of the video in the OP; what superior alternative solutions did he provide to a strong federal government and taxes? None, and that's the reality. Nothing but loony rambling that sounds good on the surface to laymans but can't actually happen in reality. That's why you guys go nowhere.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

No, it's common sense because no alternative has been suggested that would be superior to government (a collection of average Americans like any body private or public) and which is tasked with overseeing and distributing services. A strong federal gov't dates back to our founding. I cannot help that you do not understand any of it.

Wait. Before we can begin to talk about alternatives we have to settle our ethical questions. Because otherwise, why bother talking about change? Again, if its ethically unacceptable for you and I to forcefully take money from another human and threaten to lock him in a room unless the person pays us then how is it ethically acceptable for someone in the government to do this to you or I?

Because people who live in the U.S and honestly don't like it are free to leave if they find it truly morally and ethically questionable. This is not like North Korea where you're born into bondage and physically cannot leave the country. You aren't forced to pay taxes here if you move.

But of course, the inevitable conclusion is an obvious one; what other superior alternative exists to distribute income that isn't government or taxes? You nor Dissipate can answer this question.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
Name a Civilization without a Government.

That's the simple and successful argument against Anarchy.

Clown suits are a necessary evil.

People always remember it is necessary, but too often forget it is evil.

Fixed.

BTW, someone name a civilization that had a lasting minarchist state. Oh right, none has ever existed.

Your point being?

Do you drive a Motorized Vehicle?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Very nice.

Personally, I see nothing to warrant the notion you can own anything. Suppose in a society of apes, one has a bunch of bananas and the others are starving. Now suppose too, that when all the other apes die the ape with the bananas will die to for lack of social protection. You can see that the ape can't really own the bananas. They must, of necessity, belong to everybody.

Humanity is asleep living in a wrong world. Competition is hate and so so is competition for things.
I disagree. I think you can own things. However, those things cannot be protected by the rule of law because they can't be stolen.

Of course. I have posted a million times:

"You own only that which you can take with you after a ship wreak." A saying

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Because people who live in the U.S and honestly don't like it are free to leave if they find it truly morally and ethically questionable. This is not like North Korea where you're born into bondage and physically cannot leave the country. You aren't forced to pay taxes here if you move.

No thanks. I'd much rather choose to live in where I reside. When Blacks were infringed upon they stood up for their rights and claimed their freedom. They did not need to run to another country. I feel I should be able to do the same.

Plus, if we run away to area of the world unclaimed by the brute violence practiced by the state what's to say that some state won't come along and try to steal our wealth and land?

But of course, the inevitable conclusion is an obvious one; what other superior alternative exists to distribute income that isn't government or taxes? You nor Dissipate can answer this question.

The whole point of what Dissipate and I point out is that its wrong to force someone to give up money through the barrel of a gun. Voluntary association works just fine in creating and distributing wealth.

Your point being?

First let's assume that we seek freedom, which is currently debatable right now unfortunately. Assuming that our forefathers were the closest to creating a free society while maintaining the archaic religion of the state and assuming that our system is broken then that means that some concept is driving us towards this consolidation of power in society which, imho, is leading us towards a totalitarian state.

If you agree with the above and you're truly seeking some sort of positive change in society, then the next step is to think outside the box that our forefathers created because their experiment was a failed experiment. We need to start with the basics and see if we can imagine or create a better form of society.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

No thanks. I'd much rather choose to live in where I reside. When Blacks were infringed upon they stood up for their rights and claimed their freedom. They did not need to run to another country. I feel I should be able to do the same.

Plus, if we run away to area of the world unclaimed by the brute violence practiced by the state what's to say that some state won't come along and try to steal our wealth and land?

The whole point of what Dissipate and I point out is that its wrong to force someone to give up money through the barrel of a gun. Voluntary association works just fine in creating and distributing wealth.

Your point being?

First let's assume that we seek freedom, which is currently debatable right now unfortunately. Assuming that our forefathers were the closest to creating a free society while maintaining the archaic religion of the state and assuming that our system is broken then that means that some concept is driving us towards this consolidation of power in society which, imho, is leading us towards a totalitarian state.

If you agree with the above and you're truly seeking some sort of positive change in society, then the next step is to think outside the box that our forefathers created because their experiment was a failed experiment. We need to start with the basics and see if we can imagine or create a better form of society.

Your idea of Freedom is an impossibility. Without a severe culling of Humanity anyway.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
In my society, the role of voting would be to let the people decide what is considered ethical. Unfortunately, since we are in a world of thriving idiocy and ignorance, my society would likely also fail due to the selfishness and myopia of its members.

So in your society, let's say we have three people. One of them is twice as rich as both the others combined. Would it be ethical for one of the less rich individuals to initiate a vote for all three members that if passed by the majority the rich would have to give up 50% of his or her wealth to the other two or be locked in a box with a gun pointed at him and have all of his or her wealth stolen?

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SagaLore
This video is exactly why Libertarians are widely considered loony. Glad I left the party.

I think all 3rd parties start out loony. They kind of have to, for people to pay any attention to them.

In 2016, the Libertarians and Green party will become the majority parties.

no, i think it'll be the whigs and the federalists.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Your idea of Freedom is an impossibility. Without a severe culling of Humanity anyway.

I think we should all be free, don't you? Wouldn't you like the ability to freely make choices in society without being forced to do anything through a gun?

Culling of humanity? You mean through ideas or violence? I hope not the later, we have enough food, water, and shelter that there's no reason to become violent over these resources.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: SagaLore
In 2016, the Libertarians and Green party will become the majority parties.

Marked for the sheer lulz of it's laughably callow ignorance.

If individuals of Gen Y is currently voting for third parties despite the size and scope of the current big parties then its not unreasonable to suggest that they'll continue to vote for these parties in the future.

SleepWalkerX

Platinum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

how do corporations own property?

Same concept, if the idea of property only applies to individuals then "corporate property" makes about as much sense as "government property." In fact, the idea of defining a corporation as a legal person is just as retarded as defining the government as a collective "we." There is no government individual because the government is not a person. You and I are individuals, however.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

Black rights were debated and heatedly argued in every branch of government since the founding of this nation, particularly in the last 50 years but in also several of our founding fathers. Paying taxes? No, just fucking asinine shit that has never been seriously questioned and for good reason; it's inane to think we shouldn't.

Originally posted by: SleepWalkerXPlus, if we run away to area of the world unclaimed by the brute violence practiced by the state what's to say that some state won't come along and try to steal our wealth and land?

Welcome to Earth. :laugh:

You use public services and therefore you must pay taxes. This has been explained to you and Dissipate ad nauseum.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Because people who live in the U.S and honestly don't like it are free to leave if they find it
truly morally and ethically questionable.

You talk as if the U.S. is some monolithic entity that is A. immoral or B. moral. When in reality there are individual people within the geographic region known as the U.S. which are moral and there are individuals which are immoral. Why should I cease interacting with those who I consider to be moral just because there exists an immoral gang around the corner? Unless you think a piece of land mass can possess the quality of being immoral....

This is not like North Korea where you're born into bondage and physically cannot leave the country. You aren't forced to pay taxes here if you move.

Once again you are implying two things:

A. The government and what it does is legitimate.

B. There is 0 cost of moving.

This is the classic begging the question fallacy. Clearly if I went to your home and did things to you without your consent and I said: you can just move away, you wouldn't agree with this situation.

The mafia goes into a neighborhood and shakes down some shopkeepers for money. The shopkeepers can move away but they don't. Why not? They already have established lives/businesses in that neighborhood and leaving that neighborhood has a bigger cost than staying. This says NOTHING about the legitimacy of the mafia, which is clearly illegitimate.

Similarly, those who oppose the government have voluntary relationships with businesses, families, friends in this geographic location known as the U.S. Therefore, they consider the cost of moving higher than staying. This says NOTHING about the legitimacy of the government.

There is a superior alternative, it is called unbridled competition in a free market. When anyone can compete in any industry without any red tape the total share of income will be much more evenly distributed. If you want more wealth 'distribution' you can start by getting rid of an organization like the American Medical Association which exists only to restrict the supply of doctors in order to drive up individual incomes. As it is now, in a lot of states you even need a license to be an interior decorator! Text

We need to stamp out rogue interior decorators who simply have no color coordination! If anyone so much as suggests a shade of color for a curtain without a license they shall be imprisoned!

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
You use public services and therefore you must pay taxes. This has been explained to you and Dissipate ad nauseum.

You haven't explained why I can't go to your house provide you with services and then send you a bill, all without your consent. I have asked you to explain this to me many times.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Good to see Dissipate going on about his old anarcho-capitalism again. Dissipate, the government did not just suddenly move in, it was here before you were born, it will be here after you die. You have known for most of your life exactly what sort of demands would be placed upon you by that government. The examples you give are not the same in that respect.

Anyways, please do tell me when you set up your anarchistic utopia. I'd love to stop by and see it for the 3 months it lasts.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You haven't explained why I can't go to your house provide you with services and then send you a bill, all without your consent. I have asked you to explain this to me many times.

It has been explained to you. It's called implied consent. If you accept money or services from someone, knowing full well that there is a cost for these, then you have implicitly accepted the stated cost.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Good to see Dissipate going on about his old anarcho-capitalism again. Dissipate, the government did not just suddenly move in, it was here before you were born, it will be here after you die. You have known for most of your life exactly what sort of demands would be placed upon you by that government. The examples you give are not the same in that respect.

You fail once again to answer two central questions:

A. Are those demands legitimate.

B. Are those demands beneficial to society or should they be eliminated.

Knowledge of their existence says nothing about these issues. Zip, zlich, nada.

Furthermore, that is already assuming that I even know what those demands are, which in fact I do not. As I already pointed out to Evan, he isn't even aware of a small fraction of the laws that he lives under. Here is a challenge: go into a law library, pick up any book and start reading. Tell me how coherent these demands really are.

Yes, I was born into an established order, as were millions of other Americans. This says nothing about whether or not that order should be abolished. What I am saying is we should keep the good part of society: voluntary relationships and get rid of the bad: coercion, mysticism and hegemony.

Anyways, please do tell me when you set up your anarchistic utopia. I'd love to stop by and see it for the 3 months it lasts.

The anarchistic 'utopia' is already here and it is already 99% built.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: eskimospy
It has been explained to you. It's called implied consent. If you accept money or services from someone, knowing full well that there is a cost for these, then you have implicitly accepted the stated cost.

How can I stop 'accepting' these services? The government has monopolized all infrastructure necessary for survival.

It is not like walking into a restaurant asking for a meal and then not paying the bill. It is much more like having a pie crammed down my throat and then being charged for the pie.