Voter ID Laws Set To Face Strictest Test

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
what a stupid post, illegal immigrants dont come here to vote, please post something more clever...

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland
Originally posted by: Rainsford
What I never understand is how this issue keeps being brought up time and time again. Sure, requiring IDs sounds fine in theory...but, and there is really no getting around this, you can't impose a monetary requirement on voting. Full stop. Now if these voter ID laws ALSO included free IDs handed out to every single eligible voter, that's fine, but for some reason that never seems to be included in voter ID bills. Until it is, I don't see how this stupid-ass idea could possibly be constitutional.

Of course, I'm a trusting guy, but putting on my cynic hat for a second, I can see a pretty good reason why certain folks want an ID requirement without giving people who don't have an ID a free and easy way to obtain one. Legal voters without IDs tend to be predominately Democratic, which means any voter ID requirement would almost certainly create an artificial bump for Republicans in elections. And low and behold, Republicans are the very people pushing the ID requirement. Now, trusting soul that I am, I'm sure this is just a coincidence...but man does it look bad.

The law in question (Indiana) does provide free identification cards. Fun thing is, you get them the same place that darn near everyone registers to vote - the BMV. Two birds with but one stone :)

Well then I guess I can't see a reason to object to the law. If it's free and easy to obtain, hell, why not? It certainly can't make voting LESS secure.

It will be interesting how the decision is worded. It could easily be such that free ID is an integral part of this kind of law being constitutional, in which case much of the voter ID debate would be solved with this case.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/11/real.id.ap/index.html

Need Real ID to get a Driver's License!

How do you get by in the USA without some form of Identification?

How do you get money?
How do you get a job?
How do you get state and federal aid?
How do you cash a check?
How do you get a drivers License?
How do you file Taxes?
How does your employer Deduct Taxes?

Unless you are a bum living on the street, I dont see how this works?

After 911 they started woking on new laws for drivers license. It is suppose to make it so you can only get one drivers license in one state and it is a requirement to have a social security card. In fact they are suppose to take your picture in the beginning of the process and then if denied they keep the photo on hand in case you try at another location.

I suppose if you live at your parents house or are a drug dealer or a theif you might not have an ID.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland
What I never understand is how this issue keeps being brought up time and time again. Sure, requiring IDs sounds fine in theory...but, and there is really no getting around this, you can't impose a monetary requirement on voting. Full stop. Now if these voter ID laws ALSO included free IDs handed out to every single eligible voter, that's fine, but for some reason that never seems to be included in voter ID bills. Until it is, I don't see how this stupid-ass idea could possibly be constitutional.

Of course, I'm a trusting guy, but putting on my cynic hat for a second, I can see a pretty good reason why certain folks want an ID requirement without giving people who don't have an ID a free and easy way to obtain one. Legal voters without IDs tend to be predominately Democratic, which means any voter ID requirement would almost certainly create an artificial bump for Republicans in elections. And low and behold, Republicans are the very people pushing the ID requirement. Now, trusting soul that I am, I'm sure this is just a coincidence...but man does it look bad.

The law in question (Indiana) does provide free identification cards. Fun thing is, you get them the same place that darn near everyone registers to vote - the BMV. Two birds with but one stone :)

Well then I guess I can't see a reason to object to the law. If it's free and easy to obtain, hell, why not? It certainly can't make voting LESS secure.

It will be interesting how the decision is worded. It could easily be such that free ID is an integral part of this kind of law being constitutional, in which case much of the voter ID debate would be solved with this case.

Yep the thing that usually kills these laws is that there is no easy/free ID. So if they, the state, has taken care of that then it should hold up to a certain degree. I suspect that the SC will let the law stand but make coment on the ID part being the weak link.