Voter fraud or lying on jury form?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which did the people do?

• Lied on jury form

• Voter fraud

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, the issues are def linked in the article, although it's written to pander to the vivid imaginations of fringe whack conspiracy theorists in America's gullible Repub base.

That's you.

It's just another way to promulgate the notion that there might be significant voter fraud & that Bigfoot will prove it at his press conference.

Desperate Believers, looking for something to believe in. I'll give you a hint- what you believe in Isn't worthy of any but the most feeble of intellects.

That's you.

I really don't care what the article has to say. It's clearly biased by saying one thing happened over the other. The difference here is that I AM NOT SAYING THAT. The article/investigation did bring something to light, something worth investigating further. The fact that you don't think so says a whole lot more about you and your bias that is does about me.

There's something significant i.e. crimes going on here. What those are we can never know without looking into it further.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Don't want to serve on a jury, just mention jury nullification.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
How? How is having information that indicates one of two things (or possibly both) happened and then concluding that it could be either of those two things that happened ridiculous.

If anything, trying to say that one is more likely than the other, given the information, is far more ridiculous. Both are a crime. How can you put likeliness into which crime people are choosing to commit here?

Yes, both are a crime. Both can carry punishments which everyone would rather not incur. One of these crimes is one in which not only do you carry that risk, but you would have to take time to go out of your way to commit so that you might change .000001% (or whatever) number of votes in an election.

The other crime is one where you lie so that you don't have to go out of your way to do anything and potentially can make more money by not leaving work, etc etc.

Pretending they are equally likely is, like I said, ridiculous. Yes, both are crimes. Murder and jay-walking are also both crimes, but that doesn't make them occur equally frequently. Certainly there is a chance some number of these actually are fraudulent votes, but really, what is more likely?

edit: just to be clear: I'm not saying there is no voter fraud at all, just that the vast majority of this is most likely people avoiding jury duty.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Yet another paranoia that is totally groundless. Bureaucratic mistakes happen - like sending out jury forms to non-citizens (probably to permanent residents). If undocumented aliens received the forms, their reaction would be terror and anxiety in fear of arrest and deportation, not a joy of getting a chance to vote. It would be idiotic of undocumented aliens to show up in polls and attempt to vote for multiple obvious reasons.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I've went probably 5 times to jury selection in the last decade.

The one time it looked I might get picked and went twice was for Federal Court, I'd been out of work then at the time and had recently started a new job, on the second one.

Had to sit through two selections that time.

They basically let me go after that as there were plenty of others were either retired or didn't seem too worried about it at the time.

Not voting, have never lied on any.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Neither seems more likely than the other.

Nonsense. There's essentially no personal benefit to be gained by breaking the law in order to cast a vote that almost certainly will make no difference in an election's outcome; besides, it's rather risky and hard to do. But there's a significant and immediate gain (and it's much easier to accomplish) in lying to evade jury duty.

Clearly, though, we really, really need to continue to pass those ever-more-stringent ID laws, because stopping those 8 fraudulent voter-impersonation cases out of several hundred million votes cast over the next 10 years is vitally important to maintaining the integrity of American elections.

Last edited: