VooDoo Donuts Employees Attempt to Unionize....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
People wanting better working conditions. Oh my god!

Edit:
So they can spend their hard earned cash on the latest i-toy

people-are-embracing-the-rain-to-be-in-line-in-front-of-apple-store-in-portland-oregon-for-an-after-christmas-sale-RAG8XN.jpg

made under conditions they would consider criminal or inhumane if they were required to work under those same conditions.

3686.jpg

Globalization: The answer to labor unions who have successfully fought for worker rights and decent working conditions in companies' home countries.

Unions for me but not for thee if I have to pay one cent more, the secret psychological trick that has worked on so many of our woke social justice warriors of which few realize how they are reaping what they sowed through rampant consumerism and only caring about their own little wage and labor world but don't give a damn about some one in another country who has little to no worker rights that they take for granted, as long as the price is right and they and the environment they work in is out of sight, out of mind,

while at the same time that those unions have diminished powerful liberal leaning companies like Amazon, Uber/Lyft learned how to game the system that they otherwise wouldn't have been able to if there was an R next to their political affiliation, and Trump being a constant distraction keeps much of the spotlight off of them and make others who are part of the problem like Joe "the billionaires buddy" Biden look like part of the solution.

The days of powerful unions in America as a counterbalance to management are over, thanks to corruption in the union leadership, corporatization of the Democrat party, lack of solidarity domestic and foreign, and greatest detriment of all the psychological conditioning of the American consumer that cheaper is better and price only matters race to the bottom,

Except of course when their lifestyle, paycheck and working conditions suck, then they cry union, union, union.

Reactions: pcgeek11

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Pp

people-are-embracing-the-rain-to-be-in-line-in-front-of-apple-store-in-portland-oregon-for-an-after-christmas-sale-RAG8XN.jpg

made under conditions they would consider criminal or inhumane if they were required to work under those same conditions.

3686.jpg

Globalization: The answer to labor unions who have successfully fought for worker rights and decent working conditions in companies' home countries.

Unions for me but not for thee if I have to pay one cent more, the secret psychological trick that has worked on so many of our woke social justice warriors of which few realize how they are reaping what they sowed through rampant consumerism and only caring about their own little wage and labor world but don't give a damn about some one in another country who has little to no worker rights that they take for granted, as long as the price is right and they and the environment they work in is out of sight, out of mind,

while at the same time that those unions have diminished powerful liberal leaning companies like Amazon, Uber/Lyft learned how to game the system that they otherwise wouldn't have been able to if there was an R next to their political affiliation, and Trump being a constant distraction keeps much of the spotlight off of them and make others who are part of the problem like Joe "the billionaires buddy" Biden look like part of the solution.

The days of powerful unions in America as a counterbalance to management are over, thanks to corruption in the union leadership, corporatization of the Democrat party, lack of solidarity domestic and foreign, and greatest detriment of all the psychological conditioning of the American consumer that cheaper is better and price only matters race to the bottom,

Except of course when their lifestyle, paycheck and working conditions suck, then they cry union, union, union.

Its really fucking dumb to blame globalization on the poor bastards trying to make a living wage and have better working conditions.

Reactions: zinfamous

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

3686.jpg

Another "more enlightened than thou" post. Can you please stop pretending that you're delivering shocking revelations when we've known many of these things for years?

Of course it's not as simple as improving labor conditions at home. But you have to start somewhere.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Another "more enlightened than thou" post. Can you please stop pretending that you're delivering shocking revelations when we've known many of these things for years?

Of course it's not as simple as improving labor conditions at home. But you have to start somewhere.

Since that poster has not one time posted what they actually want to achieve I would argue there is no enlightenment just shit posting.

Last edited:

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
So you’d start with less than you want and attempt to bargain up?

I'm an academic physician. I get emails on a weekly basis with job offers for at least $100k more than I'm being paid. I want my relationship with my employer to be based on a mutual set of values for the work we do which are intrinsically rewarding. I actually did play hardball with my initial salary, but only because what's important to me is that the salary/benefits are commensurate to the value we collectively recognize in me and the system. I would be miserable jumping through the hoops I probably would have to if I wanted to significantly expand my income.

I'm not saying this is how everyone should do things. I'm very fortunate to be in a position where I can choose such a thing.

Mostly I bring it up because an employer/employee culture built on transactional value is one destined to make people miserable. And it's very common. Many employees have few choices about that.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm an academic physician. I get emails on a weekly basis with job offers for at least $100k more than I'm being paid. I want my relationship with my employer to be based on a mutual set of values for the work we do which are intrinsically rewarding. I actually did play hardball with my initial salary, but only because what's important to me is that the salary/benefits are commensurate to the value we collectively recognize in me and the system. I would be miserable jumping through the hoops I probably would have to if I wanted to significantly expand my income.

I'm not saying this is how everyone should do things. I'm very fortunate to be in a position where I can choose such a thing.

Mostly I bring it up because an employer/employee culture built on transactional value is one destined to make people miserable. And it's very common. Many employees have few choices about that.

I salute your ability to say you are fortunate.
Bothers the shit out of me when someone who is fortunate expects every other person to have the same fortune.
This isn’t meant to be a slight against you. You worked hard for your position. The vast majority of us are not in your position and the employer relationship is transactional and one of convenience.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Since that poster has not one time posted what they actually want to achieve I would argue there is no enlightenment just shit posting.

Never comes back for a debate either. I honestly just skip over those posts.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Except, a lot of those demands are already met in countries with strong labor unions and strong economies. But come on guys, its time to stop living in a fairy tale. There is no Easter Bunny, there is no Tooth Fairy, and there is no Denmark.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015

3686.jpg

Yes, we should stop giving money and tax credits to companies that move US jobs offshore, polluting environment and abusing human rights, all for profit.

That's your point, right? Or is it more of the, everyone would have a good paying job if they didn't have an iPhone nonsense?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Yes, we should stop giving money and tax credits to companies that move US jobs offshore, polluting environment and abusing human rights, all for profit.

That's your point, right? Or is it more of the, everyone would have a good paying job if they didn't have an iPhone nonsense?
Whatever his point is, it seems to have nothing to do with the thread topic.

This thread is about how smart and supreme someonesmind is and how stupid libs are for trying to unionize.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

I'm sure he posits his little ditties from the heavens, as he'd never use a mass-produced device connected via a government regulated, mass corporate-controlled media delivery system.

lol.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Whatever his point is, it seems to have nothing to do with the thread topic.

This thread is about how smart and supreme someonesmind is and how stupid libs are for trying to unionize.
I mean, ultimately, it's always about conservative victimhood and their projection of their own crimes and immorals on liberals and other groups who they don't identify with.

Reactions: Meghan54

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
Trillions of your tax dollars for Wall Street in playing with stocks? Sure, no problem!

A few billion in looking out for and protecting day to day workers making $27K a year?

GASP!!!

**faints**

.. hours later.....

What, what happened? THEY WANT WHAT?!?!?

GASP!!!

**faints**

The outrage is comical. Purely comical. TRILLIONS have been stolen of OUR tax dollars and handed over, within DAYS, to entities that pay little to NO taxes. Yet, our ire is directed toward people selling donuts.

Shameful.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Trillions of your tax dollars for Wall Street in playing with stocks? Sure, no problem!

A few billion in looking out for and protecting day to day workers making $27K a year?

GASP!!!

**faints**

.. hours later.....

What, what happened? THEY WANT WHAT?!?!?

GASP!!!

**faints**

The outrage is comical. Purely comical. TRILLIONS have been stolen of OUR tax dollars and handed over, within DAYS, to entities that pay little to NO taxes. Yet, our ire is directed toward people selling donuts.

Shameful.

Yaknow, one would think that even the most radical right-wing capitalists would agree with this. But for some reason, the same 'conservatives' who claim to be for capitalism and free markets and against deficit spending and govt as wealth redistribution keep looking the other way as the corrupt Republicans they voted for hand out yet another round of trillions of dollars of taxpayer monies to their Wall Street cronies while chanting 'How we gonna pay for it!' to the relative few pennies that the common people need for their survival.

It is indeed shameful.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
4 of the 5 listed demands relate to money. That isn't "working conditions"
1 of the 5 is laughably stupid if you expect a security guard to be hired for your store all the time.

The point is that these kids sincerely must have mental disorders. This is (if anything) living proof of how big of a failure our education system is. We have 35m+ newly unemployed people.... and people are too scared to walk around town buying donuts.... and NOW is the time that you think trying to unionize is a smart idea? Wow. That takes a special kind of stupid.

uh, how the hell is that unusual?

but anyway, this is just you again exposing your general ignorance to how real people in the real world actually operate. Your brain must be a fascinating place. :D

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
...And will fail miserably lol.

This honestly had me rolling over laughing at how stupid kids are these days.

Demand list:
1. Demand ability to "cash out" their PTO. This one is honestly the only thing remotely reasonable. I agree if you have accrued (earned) PTO/Sick leave, you should be able to take it. Not sure what the laws are in Oregon though, in my state if you quit/leave/get fired from your job the employer is required to pay out any vacation earned.
2. Higher wages (surprise). Workers currently start at 12.50 if they are new.
3. Severance pay. I guess they are magically supposed to get paid during a pandemic with no customers?
4. Hazard pay for anyone working during pandemic
5. Demand a security guard - This one REALLY made me fall over laughing. As if every bar, restaurant, and store is expected to have a full-time security guard to prevent any and all break-ins, robberies, etc...

I've never seen a more clear time for a company to say "Alright, closing up shop until the pandemic is fully over. Everyone is fired. Bye bye kids. If you want a job later you can apply when we re-open"

Seriously. These kids are just mentally stupid. They have zero grasp of the real world.... The store... is fucking empty.... but... you still want severance? Do you even know how money works?

YOU GO PUNK ROCK KIDS! You have the world figured out!

View attachment 21033

COVID-19 is changing work conditions and the definition of occupational hazards. The workers have every right to unionize for safer working conditions. This pandemic only further exposed how vulnerable our blue collar workforce truly is.

Nov 8, 2012
COVID-19 is changing work conditions and the definition of occupational hazards. The workers have every right to unionize for safer working conditions. This pandemic only further exposed how vulnerable our blue collar workforce truly is.

You can attempt to unionize all you want - that doesn't mean you will be successful.

You're talking about a PARTICULAR period of time where it is benefitial to fire everyone (Government will pay for their unemployment) and then start over in a few months when market picks up again.

Attempting to unionize at this particular point simply means you lack brain cells.

Overall I'm not exactly against unionizing to a certain extent. Just depends if you're a "union" or a "pay some big-wig executives" to be your union. There is a vast difference.

Unionizing makes perfect sense when you aren't easily replaced. Everyone working there is easily replaced.... 10-fold.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
You can attempt to unionize all you want - that doesn't mean you will be successful.

You're talking about a PARTICULAR period of time where it is benefitial to fire everyone (Government will pay for their unemployment) and then start over in a few months when market picks up again.

Attempting to unionize at this particular point simply means you lack brain cells.

Overall I'm not exactly against unionizing to a certain extent. Just depends if you're a "union" or a "pay some big-wig executives" to be your union. There is a vast difference.
America worked better for everyone when unions were stronger and we protected tradespeople and laborers from corporations and global economic forces beyond their control.

Unionizing makes perfect sense when you aren't easily replaced. Everyone working there is easily replaced.... 10-fold.
Their donuts are pretty good.