Vonage Phone Service

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
I'm thinking of making the switch from BellSouth to Vonage. My current setup is for two phone lines at home. The primary line, and a second line for a fax machine that is used infrequently but is a necessity, nevertheless.
I'm paying around $80/mo now with BellSouth, and the service does not include any kind of international plan. The other day I had some business with a client in Canada. Before calling I checked the rate and it was .74/min! I had to find one of those 10-10 calling card deals to get the rate down to .07.
From a financial standpoint Vonage seems to be a no-brainer. My concern is reliability and quality. My ISP here in south Florida is Comcast. For the most part they have been steady and reliable. But as I understand it, if they go down, so follows my phone service.
For those of you using VOIP phone service, your experiences and feedback, please.
Thank you.

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
I've had Vonage for ~ 2 months now and I'm quite happy with it. I only have the $15/month plan, because I don't use it even 500 mins. Can't beat the price, and with the D-Link DTA I didn't have to buy new phones.

ps. If you want a referral, shoot me a PM with your email ;)

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
I think I've had Vonage a little over 2 years now... believe I got a PAP2 from Staples back in Jan, 2005. Haven't had any problems with it. Obviously it's only going to be as reliable as your Internet connection.

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
Will I notice, or will the person on the other end notice any sort of lag time in the conversation? In other words, is the call quality the same as a standard land line phone service?

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Had vonage for a year. It worked fine, didnt feel any difference in quality over regular phone service. Switched to Sunrocket last November (2 years 199) and it has been just as good. Plus the $3 bonus a month in international calls is nice.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Another vote for Sunrocket, I've had them for more than 2 years now and no complaints. They did have a period a while back w several service outages but I think they've been solid for a while and even when they did have an outage it was usually during the day when I was at work. I've never picked up the phone and not been able to make a call. I think they're a less evil company than Vonage as well.