Vonage: How do you guys use more than 1 phone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: dabuddha
Originally posted by: Spudd
What setting did you set it to?

I'm using the alternate setup installation (no quality of service options) with my Microsoft MN-500 router assigning all computers and the Motorola box a dynamic IP address.

Do you mean you have it set to 30kbps?

I mean I don't have to set anything. My setup is like this: phone jack--> DSL modem--> router--> motorola box--> phone. If you have problems you can forward the ports they list in the manual through your router's setup.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I'm using a motorola SB5100 cable modem. I have all the ports forwarded. The tech support guy I spoke with last night said I'm connecting to their new server where port forwarding is not necessary but it doesn't hurt to leave it on. Woke up this morning to no dial tone.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I'm using a motorola SB5100 cable modem. I have all the ports forwarded. The tech support guy I spoke with last night said I'm connecting to their new server where port forwarding is not necessary but it doesn't hurt to leave it on. Woke up this morning to no dial tone.

Here's some talk over at broadband reports about it.

KK

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: KK

Here's some talk over at broadband reports about it.

KK

Spank you kind sirs. I'll head over there to read up on it. I like the idea of getting rid of verizon so I'm really hoping to get this to work. BTW the no dial tone happened to be my cable modem going down temporarily I think. I had to renew my IP through my router and it started working fine.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Oh man, it looks like the SB5100 might be the problem. I just bought this thing 2 weeks ago and already sent out all the rebate forms. :(

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
That sucks you just bought that modem. I haven't been using my vonage service too much as they still are porting the number from comcast and anyone that calls calls the comcast number. After they port it and I am exclusively using vonage, if it acts up, I'll be getting a new toshiba modem.

KK

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I suppose I could go get a Toshiba but I just shelled out $80 for this one. I might just try out vonage for a week and return the box if the service doesn't improve. I tried doing a 3 way call last night and it disconnected both parties. For the few seconds we were connected, both people were telling me that the sound quality was terrible and they couldn't understand what I was saying.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Man this vonage crap is a piece of junk. I've spent almost 3-4 hours trying to get my account activated. Hold times are almost 30 minutes. The signup page has so many problems with it. They can not answer my question about how to change the ip address of the motorola unit. And on top of it, it sent me an email saying it didn't accept my CC info.
I'm seriously thinking about returning this crap.

That sucks sorry to hear about it.

If it's your Motorola cable modem, what other cable modems are recommended (Linksys? RCA?)?

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Man this vonage crap is a piece of junk. I've spent almost 3-4 hours trying to get my account activated. Hold times are almost 30 minutes. The signup page has so many problems with it. They can not answer my question about how to change the ip address of the motorola unit. And on top of it, it sent me an email saying it didn't accept my CC info.
I'm seriously thinking about returning this crap.

That sucks sorry to hear about it.

If it's your Motorola cable modem, what other cable modems are recommended (Linksys? RCA?)?

Alot of people have been recommending the Toshiba modem they're currently selling at best buy. Worst comes to worst, ill just ebay this motorola modem and get that one.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I can get it later tonight. If you look at the weekly ad for bestbuy, they're always adveritsing it. I have comcast for my broadband ISP.

Spudd

Golden Member
Aug 7, 2001
Ebay your crappy modem and snag a Toshiba if you can afford it. I wouldn't give up on Vonage for what is likely your modem's problem--there are savings to be had man! At least try to see if you can borrow someone elses' modem and try it out on your Vonage account. Maybe buy a Toshiba, test it, and if it doesn't work take it back.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: KK
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Do you have the Toshiba model #?

Also who is your broadband ISP?

PCX2600

I have the Toshiba PCX1100 and it works great. might be the 2100 but i'm pretty sure it's the 1100

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Spudd
Ebay your crappy modem and snag a Toshiba if you can afford it. I wouldn't give up on Vonage for what is likely your modem's problem--there are savings to be had man! At least try to see if you can borrow someone elses' modem and try it out on your Vonage account. Maybe buy a Toshiba, test it, and if it doesn't work take it back.

I think I might just try that. I wonder if two of my rebates will still be valid. They required a copy of my first months bill which I did send in along with the rest of the paperwork. They were both circuit city rebates. The other one was the $20 motorola rebate.