VoIP's not available in my area

earthling30

Mar 18, 2004
I called Vonage and other VoIP's, talked to someone in another country, and non of them are available in my area, but I can choose any area code. Now why would I want to do that just so my neighbor would want to dial long distance just to have a friendly conersation with me. I was wanting to use it as a replacment phone service, guess I'll just have to stick with my regular phone service.

earthling30

Mar 18, 2004
Originally posted by: jimbob200521
Why would you want to have VoIP as your only phone?

From what I understand there are no extra charges for long distance, plus crappy cell phone signal in my area.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Is there a city nearby for which VoIP is available? Oftentimes, you can sign up and get a phone number from a neighborhing city.

Except for E911 service, the VoIP company doesn't care where you live or where the phone will be plugged in....

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

why not? i use voip for my only phone, free long distance, caller id, all that crap for around $13 a month. the service has been fine (sunrocket). verizon local was costing me $25 a month, no long distance, no features. voip seemed like a no brainer for me.

earthling30

Mar 18, 2004
Originally posted by: MathMan
Is there a city nearby for which VoIP is available? Oftentimes, you can sign up and get a phone number from a neighborhing city.

Except for E911 service, the VoIP company doesn't care where you live or where the phone will be plugged in....

Yes there is but I was wanting to use it as a replacement phone service because the up time for my ISP is great, oh well I'll just have to wait longer.

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000

We have voip as our only phone...works real well, only concern is 911. Everybody has their own cellphone, so it's not TOO much of a concern, but still...

earthling30

Mar 18, 2004
Originally posted by: TheShiz

why not? i use voip for my only phone, free long distance, caller id, all that crap for around $13 a month. the service has been fine (sunrocket). verizon local was costing me $25 a month, no long distance, no features. voip seemed like a no brainer for me.

Exactly what I was thinking, but there's the issue for my friends and neighbors. I guess I live too far away from any big Metropolitan city, even though I live within five minutes of my local city but it's not a Metropolitan city. The nearest one is a 45 minute drive.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
So get a T1 PRI to the PSTN from your local CLEC, then get a Data T1 and start your own VOIP CLEC :)

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: earthling30

Yes there is but I was wanting to use it as a replacement phone service because the up time for my ISP is great, oh well I'll just have to wait longer.

You can still do that... sign up for a VoIP account with a phone number in a neighboring city, and when acticated, disconnect your land line....

earthling30

Mar 18, 2004

You can still do that... sign up for a VoIP account with a phone number in a neighboring city, and when acticated, disconnect your land line....

Your correct, I could, but there's the issue with my friends, neighbors, and family having to call long distance when I live only 10-15 minutes away. Thanks for the advice, but I'll just have to pay for a higher phone bill until they can support my area.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

Your correct, I could, but there's the issue with my friends, neighbors, and family having to call long distance when I live only 10-15 minutes away. Thanks for the advice, but I'll just have to pay for a higher phone bill until they can support my area.

Wait a minute... so your neighboring city is a long distance phone call for your friends and neighbors? You must live in a really rural area if your neighboring city is THAT far away...

earthling30

Mar 18, 2004
I only live 5 minutes from the nearest city in my county. However, the closest Metropolitan city that is supported by any of the VoIP's is in another county, 45 minutes. That's the reason for the long distance issue.

earthling30

Mar 18, 2004
Originally posted by: DeviousTrap
Does it matter where you live if you transfer your current number to them?

Apperently it does, my goal is to transfer my current number to the service, I thought it was a simple process, but if you live in rural area like myself it's all different.

Originally posted by: Kenazo
Skype?
HMMM, very interesting. I'll look into it, thanks. Free service used from downloading their software. I wonder if it's packed with spyware?

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004

Indeed. I've had Sunrocket for over a year now and, while 911 works fine, the long distance is "free", and there are tons of features, it is less reliable than POTS. I've completely abandoned POTS, but I also have a cell.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
heh i can't get it either. though i have a provider that offers it the connection i have is not releiable enough for it