VMWare Player / Core Duo combo

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
hi, i tried installing VMWare Player the other night on my Core Duo laptop and it gave a message like "blah blah feature is not found on your processor". i've been trying to find out whether my processor is supported but i can't find any documentation saying it isn't.

i know the Core Duo is a 64-bit CPU and i think it supports LAHF/SAHF... something that the VMWare website mentioned the software needed.

anyone have any ideas? thanks!

UDPATE:
OK, i think i finally have it straight... VMWare Player 4 only supports 64-bit processors (like Quikah said), however, it still supports 32-bit OSes in addition to 64-bit OSes (says right next to the download link). so hypothetically, you could have a 64-bit processor like an Intel i7, be running 32-bit Vista, and still run Player 4. in my case, since i have Yonah (32-bit processor), i'm automatically disqualified from using Player 4...even though i'm running 32-bit Vista. so i did what Quikah suggested and tried to install Player 3.1.5...and it worked! thanks everyone for all the help... finally going to play around with virtualization :)

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The bitness (32 or 64) has nothing to do with it. You are missing the hardware virtualization Intel VT-x technology in the processor.
Another dual-core variant of the Core Duo branded Yonah was released as the Intel Pentium Dual-Core branded T2060, T2080, and T2130 mobile CPUs, also without Intel VT-x support.

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
wow, thanks for opening up my eyes... i really should do more due diligence!

well, that sux!

having said that, do you guys know of any virtualization software that i can use with my Yonah that doesn't require the Intel VT-x support? or maybe all virtualization software requires some sort of hardware support (either Intel or AMD)...

thanks for shedding light on this!!

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Can you be more specific about the error message? AFAIK, VMWare Player will leverage Intel VT support if it's available, but it does not require it to run.

jrocks84

Mar 18, 2010
Can you be more specific about the error message? AFAIK, VMWare Player will leverage Intel VT support if it's available, but it does not require it to run.

Correct, it does not require it to run, but only for 32-bit virtual machines. You do need VT-x for 64-bit virtual machines though.

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
thanks all, i tried reinstalling and captured the message:

VMWare-Player-4.0.0-471780
Error: VMWare Player can not be installed on this computer. VMWare Player requires features that are not present on your CPU. See the product release notes for specific hardware and software requirements.

FYI, i'm running MS Vista 32-bit OS.

thanks again!

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Player 4 requires a 64-bit CPU. 32-bit CPU support was dropped for the new release.

You can use Player 3.1, however you will be limited to 32-bit guests.

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
Player 4 requires a 64-bit CPU. 32-bit CPU support was dropped for the new release.

You can use Player 3.1, however you will be limited to 32-bit guests.

ah, ok. i will download 3.1 and give that a shot... thanks Quikah!

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
I think 4 hosed my computer at work, and forced me to do a system restore. I'm back at 3.

chipy

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2003
UDPATE:
OK, i think i finally have it straight... VMWare Player 4 only supports 64-bit processors (like Quikah said), however, it still supports 32-bit OSes in addition to 64-bit OSes (says right next to the download link). so hypothetically, you could have a 64-bit processor like an Intel i7, be running 32-bit Vista, and still run Player 4. in my case, since i have Yonah (32-bit processor), i'm automatically disqualified from using Player 4...even though i'm running 32-bit Vista. so i did what Quikah suggested and tried to install Player 3.1.5...and it worked! thanks everyone for all the help... finally going to play around with virtualization :)