VMWare ESXi - License and Client Software

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Hi,

I've installed VMWare ESXi to install on a server. I've formated the disk and install the software barebone.

I did it a few weeks ago, and haven't got the chance to go there see what I did, as I didn't install anything else (no virtual machines yet).

Still, I have a couple of questions that probably some of you might have the answers for ... :)

1# Is it free software? Or at least free for personal use? I think I saw something about inserting a serial key, or a 60 day trial ...

2# Once installed, I get an IP, and I can connect with browser to download client software. I assume this software is the one and only way to create virtual machines in the ESXi, correct? I remember pulling the software for windows, is it available to Linux too?

Thanks

yinan

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2007
1. Yes. You need a key, but those are freely available by registering on VMware's site.

2. There will be a menu on the console of the system where you can set up the initial things you need to do to connect to the system. You will need to download the client separately. It is not available for Linux.