VMWare equivalant of Citrix?

eli2k

Jun 14, 2007
My university uses some sort of Citrix virtualization (?) software to deploy certain types of software for us to use, such as Microsoft Word. We go to this website, click on the software we want to load, and a Java module appears, which then loads just the software window. It seems to work pretty fast. Is this XenDesktop or XenApp? What is the VMWare equivalent? Thanks.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
windows 2008 R2 has terminal services app. (Rdp to application instead of a vm of xp)

vmware thinapp i swear was thinstall.

vmware view is more pcoip or thin client.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Citrix has been doing published applications for probably almost 15 years now. I'm pretty sure they had them back in the NT 4.0 days when the product was called MetaFrame and I'm really not sure about 3.51 or 3.1 back when it was called WinFrame though.

hypn05

Feb 10, 2010
www.1on1webhosting.com
I don't really know what kind of product line of Citrix you meant, but as far as I know they are good in "screen scrapping" product line - very useful if company/org want to centralized their server and everybody in organization using thin client, no need to install any application, just citrix client. So centralized server, centralized apps.

VMware more in server virtualization, make several server work as one big unit and you can virtually separate some task. On client side still rich client.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
VMware is trying to eat into some of Citrix and MS' profits in that are with VDI and people are buying into it. We've got a bid on a fairly large VDI project for something like a thousand desktops.