VM audio passthrough?

MrBill10

Apr 28, 2016
Anyone done it? How...?

R710 running ESXi 6.0 Enterprise Plus, vCenter & Web Client. Not looking for home theater stuff, just need to listen to audio while watching youtube.

What info I can google up says to passthrough a USB port and use USB speakers on the client, but (as of 5.1) also says you lose the ability to boot from a USB stick, which I do. If absolutely necessary I'll change the boot order but what are my options?

Thanks

yinan

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2007
Have you tried via RDP?

Passing through an entire USB controller is kinda overkill. If you really need to do this, what you could do is get a USB sound card and plug the speakers and just pass the USB device, NOT the port, through to the VM.

But I would really just use RDP its much easier and more responsive. You do not even lose vMotion capability when you do it that way.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
yinan, is on the right track.

You would have to look at
1 - pass through the usb audio device if possible
2 - if that will not work, you many need to pass through 1 of the usb controller. In that case you just have to figure out which one, as there would be usually 2+ listed

MrBill10

Apr 28, 2016
Thanks all. The difficulty is wrapping my head around the concept.

I'll pick up a USB sound card and learn to get it working through RDP.

yinan

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2007
You dont need a USB sound card if you connect via RDP. I am listening to music now via RDP from a Win7 VM hsoted on ESXi running on a Dell R920.

MrBill10

Apr 28, 2016
I'll be damned... The sound works when using RDP in Win7Pro (both VM and client), and without doing any setup.