Visual Studio Code

Danish Zubair

May 12, 2022
Hi can somebody please tell me how to completely setup Visual Studio Code for Python, I have watched many viseos on youtube, but the problem is that whenever I try to run the code, it says to disactivate something, can somebody please tell me how to vompletely setup from step 1 to the last step, urgently, please. Thank you

Danish Zubair

May 12, 2022
Hi, I have followed the Visual Studio Python guide but I still face the same problem. I have installed the extentions by clicking on the fifth icon on the left side of the visual studio code. I have installed the Python extension and then went to Python.org and installed Python 3.10.5 version, then I went to the command propt and wrote what the visual studio guide told me to wrote, and there it showed Python 3.10.5. After that I have installed Python interpreter by going to command palette and selecting Python: Select Interpreter, then I have created a new file and wrote the code that was on VS code guide and then pressed the play button to run the code, but when I pressed the button it showed me this in red colour:

& : The term 'Python: Select Interpreter' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:3
+ & "Python: Select Interpreter" c:/Users/danis/OneDrive/Desktop/hello/ ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Python: Select Interpreter:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

then I followed the guide and wrote python hello.py, as I have a window computer, but then it showed me this in white colour:

Python was not found; run without arguments to install from the Microsoft Store, or disable this shortcut from Settings > Manage App
Execution Aliases.

Can somebody please tell me what is the issue, I need to do some project on Visual Studio code urgently. Can somebody please tell me what I did wrong and how to solve that issue? Thank you.

Moved from its own thread into this one - Moderator Ken g6

Last edited by a moderator:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Don't use the Python from MS Store. Install Python from Python.org

Moved into this thread because I wasn't fast enough moving the other thread - Moderator Ken g6

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

Danish Zubair

May 12, 2022
mxnerd I did that but still it is not working, I have watched a similar video that shows how to solve this issue, but it did not work. Thank you.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Hi, I have followed the Visual Studio Python guide but I still face the same problem. I have installed the extentions by clicking on the fifth icon on the left side of the visual studio code. I have installed the Python extension and then went to Python.org and installed Python 3.10.5 version, then I went to the command propt and wrote what the visual studio guide told me to wrote, and there it showed Python 3.10.5. After that I have installed Python interpreter by going to command palette and selecting Python: Select Interpreter, then I have created a new file and wrote the code that was on VS code guide and then pressed the play button to run the code, but when I pressed the button it showed me this in red colour:

& : The term 'Python: Select Interpreter' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:3
+ & "Python: Select Interpreter" c:/Users/danis/OneDrive/Desktop/hello/ ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Python: Select Interpreter:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

then I followed the guide and wrote python hello.py, as I have a window computer, but then it showed me this in white colour:

Python was not found; run without arguments to install from the Microsoft Store, or disable this shortcut from Settings > Manage App
Execution Aliases.

Can somebody please tell me what is the issue, I need to do some project on Visual Studio code urgently. Can somebody please tell me what I did wrong and how to solve that issue? Thank you.

Moved from its own thread into this one - Moderator Ken g6

It sounds like you didn't actually select the interpreter.

Open command pallete: Ctrl+Shift+P
Type: Python: Select Interpreter
cmd-pallette.png
Press enter
A list of python interpreters should open.
select-interpreter.png

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
As above.

Or go to anaconda.org and don't use VSC (which I have to confess, has yet to win me over)