Visual Studio 2010 Tutorials?

Adigo

Jul 20, 2005
I'm in a SQL database class. We need to program a database and a application for our final project. My programming experience is very small. I have the database done I just need to make a Windows APP for it. Is there any nice tutorial sites for Windows form applications with SQL databases? I'm using Visual Studio 2010.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
What language do you want to use? Also, you should realize that there are several ways to interact with SQL databases.

Adigo

Jul 20, 2005
What language do you want to use? Also, you should realize that there are several ways to interact with SQL databases.

We have the option. We can create a Windows Application (C+) or an ASP.NET web application. I have very little programming experience, so whatever is easier.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
We have the option. We can create a Windows Application (C+) or an ASP.NET web application. I have very little programming experience, so whatever is easier.

Is C++ a requirement for a standalone app? Because C# would likely be a lot easier to get started with.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
@OP
Shouldn't you have taken some programming intro course first before taking a course like this? I'd expect it to be a prerequisite too...
If you're comfortable with web techs, you can use ASP.NET, otherwise I'd rather use C++ or C# for standalone apps and not get involved with learning extra stuff if the focus is on database programming.

Adigo

Jul 20, 2005
No prerequisite.. which pissed me off because the prof is having us create an application. Anyways without going into too much detail allot of students are having issues with this course.

@OP
Shouldn't you have taken some programming intro course first before taking a course like this? I'd expect it to be a prerequisite too...
If you're comfortable with web techs, you can use ASP.NET, otherwise I'd rather use C++ or C# for standalone apps and not get involved with learning extra stuff if the focus is on database programming.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
C# is pretty easy to create a simple GUI application.

C++ is a bit weird. The Windows windowing system is weird and confusing. I've never actually coded a GUI in C++ so maybe there are some templates or starter code that can extract out the weirdness.