[Vista] 0x0000009F DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

BehindEnemyLines

Jul 24, 2000
My laptop has suffered two BSOD from the above INSIDE my backpack as it was hibernation. Needless to say, the laptop was hot, and not in a good way. This same BSOD also happend outside of the backpack (just in case).

Booting up Windows again involve waiting for about 5 minutes for chkdsk to complete on C:\. This always resulted in some non-critical index problem.

Google reveals that 0x9F has several KB: 941858, 937322, 943899, etc..

Only problem is that I already have Vista SP1 (official) installed. All these individual updates refuse to install because they "do not apply."

Anyone has a similar problem? Laptop is in signature. (I now wait for all shutdown/hibernation to complete before putting inside backpack).

evilspoons

Oct 17, 2005
Same problem here with my desktop. Hibernation causes a 0x9F STOP message with no reference to which driver is failing. Worked fine before SP1.

Windows Vista Business, SP1 installed.
nVidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320 MB, Core 2 Quad Q6600 on an Asus Striker Extreme (nVidia 680i chipset) board, 2 GB DDR2, 320 GB SATA primary drive, 500 GB SATA secondary drive. SoundMAX onboard audio. Logitech G5 mouse. iPod Nano plugged in during hibernation.

Anything in common between that hardware? I'm going to start updating drivers when I've got the opportunity.

BehindEnemyLines

Jul 24, 2000
I may have solved the problem. I have a laptop with the Intel Wireless 4965AGN card and also an Intel Turbo Memory module. Initially, I was using an updated driver of the 4965AGN (v12.0) from Windows Update. But this version was NOT available from Intel download except for v11.5.

1. Windows Debugger told me that my 4964AGN (v12.0) *might* be causing the 0x9F.
2. Reinstalled the 4965AGN to v11.5 --> still BSOD with same network driver.
3. While browsing at Intel.com, I noticed there was an updated Turbo Memory driver that fixes 0x9F BSOD while entering/leaving hibernation.

The newest Turbo Memory driver v1.5.0.1013 seems to have fixed the 0x9F issue. Your computer is a desktop, so I am not sure what is common between the two.

You can try running the Windows Debugger: Debugging Tools for Windows Vista
You will also need: Microsoft Symbol Server (for symbol files)

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
The majority of devices & drivers that have trouble entering a power state are USB.

Update drivers of course but try hibernation with all nonessential USB devices unplugged.