Visa to China w/ Criminal record???

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Going to china in May (tourist), was looking at the application there is a question asking if I have ever been convicted of a crime in any country? Then, to explain it in detail if "yes"

I have in fact been convicted of a crime (took a plea agreement)...here in the United States a few years ago (18 years old). It was a felony (drug posession). Some people told me to just say "no" - but I have a bad feeling about lieing. But, then again I don't want to say "yes" and just automatically get denied.

What do you guys think?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
my guess is you mark yes and get denied

or mark no and either get by or get thrown in Chinese prison

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
True story

2 friends split up. One moves to Canada, the other stays in california.

Both have records, one for battery and one for DUI.

So California wants to visit friend in Canada. California doesn't want to pay international fare, so he flies into seattle and plans to drive into CA. Upon arrival at the border, agents have a 6th sense and ask for ID or whatever and runs his name. He gets turned away from the border because he has a record

California then calls Canada: "Hey, come chill down here with me, I got turned back and I'm only 2 hours away". Canada says OK. Drives to border and ALSO gets turned back.

Dunno if that relates to your visa, but I like that story.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
I just read this on Yahoo! Answers:

"Criminal Record Check is not part of the Chinese visa process. As long as you are not listed on the Interpol or in China you should write no in that column. If you write yes even though the criminal check is not part of their visa process they might do a criminal check and might put hindrances in the visa issuance. China has no jurisdiction of the criminal records of other countries other than its own. This is my advice to you."

I don't know how true that is...

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
If you lie they still do a basic check but if they find nothing then you mgith be ok. BUT if you get there and get introuble and you have to contact us at State then your record might come into issue and might make things worse since you lied and they will hold that against you.

So in the end its up to you. If you think there is any chnace you will get in trouble then don;t lie.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
If you lie they still do a basic check but if they find nothing then you mgith be ok. BUT if you get there and get introuble and you have to contact us at State then your record might come into issue and might make things worse since you lied and they will hold that against you.

So in the end its up to you. If you think there is any chnace you will get in trouble then don;t lie.

I mean I don't plan on getting in any trouble in China. I'm staying with a friend and his brother who's been living there for about 7 years now. I just don't want to get denied since I already got the ticket and am really excited to go :(

Many internet forum posts are saying to just check "no" and some are saying to check "yes" and you *should* still get the Visa. I just don't want to take a chance say yes, explain my crime and then get denied. It'll truly be disappointing.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Josh

I mean I don't plan on getting in any trouble in China. I'm staying with a friend and his brother who's been living there for about 7 years now. I just don't want to get denied since I already got the ticket and am really excited to go :(

Many internet forum posts are saying to just check "no" and some are saying to check "yes" and you *should* still get the Visa. I just don't want to take a chance say yes, explain my crime and then get denied. It'll truly be disappointing.

then lie

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare

then lie

easier said than done

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004

"Criminal Record Check is not part of the Chinese visa process. As long as you are not listed on the Interpol or in China you should write no in that column. If you write yes even though the criminal check is not part of their visa process they might do a criminal check and might put hindrances in the visa issuance. China has no jurisdiction of the criminal records of other countries other than its own. This is my advice to you."

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to trust Yahoo! Answers in regards to whether I should lie to a country that executes people by shooting them in the head and then bills the family for the bullet.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Agentbolt

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to trust Yahoo! Answers in regards to whether I should lie to a country that executes people by shooting them in the head and then bills the family for the bullet.

:Q You might've convinced me with that statement.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

then lie

easier said than done

put the pen on the paper and check the no box?

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001

then lie

easier said than done

lying to a country like china should be no problem..what's your beef?

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Close your eyes and pretend you're zanejohnson. Problem solved. Check that 'no' box and you're on your way baby.

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
Going to china in May (tourist), was looking at the application there is a question asking if I have ever been convicted of a crime in any country? Then, to explain it in detail if "yes"

I have in fact been convicted of a crime (took a plea agreement)...here in the United States a few years ago (18 years old). It was a felony (drug posession). Some people told me to just say "no" - but I have a bad feeling about lieing. But, then again I don't want to say "yes" and just automatically get denied.

What do you guys think?

http://answers.yahoo.com/quest...=20080123234944AAsvAlJ

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Criminal Record Check is not part of the Chinese visa process. As long as you are not listed on the Interpol or in China you should write no in that column. If you write yes even though the criminal check is not part of their visa process they might do a criminal check and might put hindrances in the visa issuance. China has no jurisdiction of the criminal records of other countries other than its own. This is my advice to you.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: mzkhadir

What do you guys think?

Criminal Record Check is not part of the Chinese visa process. As long as you are not listed on the Interpol or in China you should write no in that column. If you write yes even though the criminal check is not part of their visa process they might do a criminal check and might put hindrances in the visa issuance. China has no jurisdiction of the criminal records of other countries other than its own. This is my advice to you.

I read that before, but is it true?

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
Originally posted by: mzkhadir

What do you guys think?

I read that before, but is it true?

just make a call to the chinese embassy, give them a false name and tell them your case.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
I remember seeing in a theater preview, people gettin' in trouble overseas with criminal records. They characters went through some pretty harsh stuff from the looks of it. Though I never watched the movie, lying is the first step to making things worse.

Be honest, it's better to be turned away then to have authorities on your back, constantly.

Good luck, buddy.