Virus?

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
I received an email with a link from someone I know. It contained a link and when I clicked on it it wanted me to install a program. I clicked no but I am still concerned.

The email seemed suspicious because the sender offered no comments. Could his address book have been stolen?

I have updated firewall and virus tools.

When I google the site I find this.

Safe Browsing
Diagnostic page for atlaspharma.com
What is the current listing status for atlaspharma.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 4 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 126 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 63 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2009-12-08, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2009-12-08.
Malicious software includes 13 scripting exploit(s), 3 trojan(s), 2 backdoor(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 3 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 7 domain(s), including sites-counter.com/, pipisechka.com/, polygonez.com/.

2 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including 216.240.130.0/, now-2009.com/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS16557 (COLOSOLUTIONS).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, atlaspharma.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
The return address on emails can always be spoofed. There is never a guarantee that any email you receive is safe. That why you should never click on links in emails. Even if the link looks safe the text in the link may not be the actual destination you are sent to when you click on it. Always copy and paste the link into your browser to be sure your going to the location described in the link text.

Now you may or may not have something on your system right now but it is probably minor. Nothing compared to what you may have had if you allowed the program to install. Go online and download Microsoft's Security Essentials. Its a top notch virus scanner that MS offers free. If that and a malware scan don't show anything then you should be OK.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Yes - do a deep scan. It may take an hour or two, but it is worth it. MSSE is a good security suite from Microsoft. But, you must first uninstal any AV or anti-malware software yoiu have, including Windows Defender. Microsoft Security Essentials (MSSE) is a very good suite.

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
And, if feasible, perform the scan while in Safe Mode. There is a better chance that any virus/malware on your computer might not be able to hide itself or disable your AV or anti-malware software while in Safe Mode.

- Merg