Virus found!

crazygal

Feb 26, 2002
I've been downloading some large zip files and a few had viruses in them. Norton said it found and cleaned them. So should I try and use the files anyway or does a virus pretty much mean that the whole thing is a dud?

Leetman

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2002
Probably not a good idea to use them even if it did clean out whatever it found ;)

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: crazygal
I've been downloading some large zip files and a few had viruses in them. Norton said it found and cleaned them. So should I try and use the files anyway or does a virus pretty much mean that the whole thing is a dud?

oh, you dirty girl.

crazygal

Feb 26, 2002
Really? Damn, I was hoping that I could still use them after the virus was deleted.

crazygal

Feb 26, 2002
Well they're supposed to be zip files but for whatever reason they're called "filename.exe" intead of .zip. But when I scan them, all the compressed files are still in there.

hopeless879

Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: crazygal
Well they're supposed to be zip files but for whatever reason they're called "filename.exe" intead of .zip. But when I scan them, all the compressed files are still in there.

Anything that has an .exe extension that you get from a questionable website i'd be wary of.

In this case, delete them now.

crazygal

Feb 26, 2002
No, no links. I was just wondering what the odds were before I deleted it or tried to use it still.

Shooters

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
If they really are zip files then you should be able to rename the extension from exe to zip and then view and retrieve the compressed files without actually running the exe.

crazygal

Feb 26, 2002
Ah, I'll try that then. I'm pretty sure what I want is in there (judging by the file names) so if Norton nuked the virus, I'm hoping it's ok.

crazygal

Feb 26, 2002
Actually....is there an online virus scanner that I can use to double check these things? (free too btw)

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Would help if you'd actually share a bit more about the files as in where they are from, what sort of things, etc.