virtualization support

Eeqmcsq

Jan 6, 2009
The 5050e should support AMD virtualization. Poking around the web just now, I found this quote from an AMD spokesperson for AMD desktop processors.

With the exceptions of Sempron-branded processors and pre-Rev F Athlon branded processors, all of the desktop processors shipped by AMD include AMD-V

Knavish

May 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Eeqmcsq
The 5050e should support AMD virtualization. Poking around the web just now, I found this quote from an AMD spokesperson for AMD desktop processors.

With the exceptions of Sempron-branded processors and pre-Rev F Athlon branded processors, all of the desktop processors shipped by AMD include AMD-V

Makes sense to me. I'd be shocked if the 5050e had any difference from the 4850e other than 100mhz.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
They don't support all of the virtualization features though, you need a Phenom for that.
And VMware and VirtualBox will run just fine without any virtualization features.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
It does support it

the thing is that newegg does a lousy job when it comes to consistently filling up the spec sheet of certain items (cpu's, video cards, etc) so don't go by them.

nubian1

Aug 1, 2007
All dual core & up AM2, AM2+ & AM3 AMD processors support AMD-V (Virtualization) extensions.
I presently have an AMD 7750 based server running Xen Server 5.5 and love it.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: nubian1
All dual core & up AM2, AM2+ & AM3 AMD processors support AMD-V (Virtualization) extensions.

Phenom based AMD cpus have additional virtualization extensions. If you're doing heavy virtualization, you want a phenom.
And if you're not, it doesn't really matter what cpu you have, even one without virtualization extensions since all the major VM programs don't require them.

nubian1

Aug 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Fox5
Originally posted by: nubian1

Phenom based AMD cpus have additional virtualization extensions. If you're doing heavy virtualization, you want a phenom.
And if you're not, it doesn't really matter what cpu you have, even one without virtualization extensions since all the major VM programs don't require them.

Actually if you are going "Bare Metal", setting up a dedicated VM Server, than the extensions are required for example if you are using Xen Server or KVM (Proxmox) which both require either Vx-T or AMD-V or they will refuse to work/install. As for virtualization on the desktop, VMware workstation or Virtualbox, the extensions are not needed but will enhance the performance of your vm's.

For a basic "Bare Metal" hypervisor based setup for the home the 5050e will do fine. For a small office or larger one can always step up to a more capable cpu.