Virginia: Judge Rejected ... why?

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Really, Virginia?

Looks like this Navy Vet and accomplished prosecutor will not be moved to the bench because he's openly gay.

Well, that's how it looks... maybe someone has another reason? Anyone?

timesdispatch said:
But his nomination came under fire late last week, as the Family Foundation and Del. Robert G. Marshall, R-Prince William, stoked fears that the 45-year-old attorney would allow his sexual orientation to influence his judicial decisions.

Super classy, idiots.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Why is it that organizations with "Family" in the name only show up when they're going after gay people? If they were so pro-Family, it seems like there are a number of other areas that would be a better use of their time.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I can understand their logic.

but I have a nagging suspicion that it's not applied equally or fairly when Evangelical nominees are in the same situation.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Great! Please explain it to me?

The legislative vetting process isn't supposed to be a rubber-stamp; if the legislators have questions about someone's impartiality that cannot be overcome they should not vote to confirm.

Whether this particular issue legitimately falls under that scenario is a matter of perception.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I can understand their logic.

but I have a nagging suspicion that it's not applied equally or fairly when Evangelical nominees are in the same situation.

I don't imagine it's applied to straight nominees...

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Whether this particular issue legitimately falls under that scenario is a matter of perception.

Yes, that's the part that isn't making any sense.

If there's a problem with a homosexual "allow[ing] his sexual orientation to influence his judicial decisions", then why is there not a problem with heterosexuals doing so?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

If there's a problem with a homosexual "allow[ing] his sexual orientation to influence his judicial decisions", then why is there not a problem with heterosexuals doing so?

My thought

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Agreed with you and EagleKeeper. Certainly judicial impartiality is something that should be examined. But in this case the only evidence for impartiality seems to be that the judge in question is gay.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007

Not speaking for myself but instead for what I understand the Virginia Republicans' position to be:
From a very strict interpretation a homosexual would have the potential for bias in hearing a case in re same-sex marriage or some other equal protection issues while technically a heterosexual would not have those same biases. Strictly speaking a heterosexual's biases in that regard would stem not from their sexuality but instead from their religious or moral convictions which are, technically, separate. In other words heterosexuals and homosexuals presiding over a matter of same-sex marriage would appear to be two sides of the same coin but they really are not.

You'll forgive the crude comparisons but you wouldn't want a white supremacist or a misogynist presiding over equal protection cases, and would likely deny them a seat on the bench. Maybe a less offensive comparison would be that you wouldn't want the judge in the Apple/Samsung patent dispute to own a few hundred million shares of Apple stock.

Again, that's just what I understand the position to be and not an endorsement.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Agreed with you and EagleKeeper. Certainly judicial impartiality is something that should be examined. But in this case the only evidence for impartiality seems to be that the judge in question is gay.

I also agree. I think the underlying principle (judicial impartiality) is correct but the specific application is without merit.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Not speaking for myself but instead for what I understand the Virginia Republicans' position to be:
From a very strict interpretation a homosexual would have the potential for bias in hearing a case in re same-sex marriage or some other equal protection issues while technically a heterosexual would not have those same biases. Strictly speaking a heterosexual's biases in that regard would stem not from their sexuality but instead from their religious or moral convictions which are, technically, separate. In other words heterosexuals and homosexuals presiding over a matter of same-sex marriage would appear to be two sides of the same coin but they really are not.

The argument from many people opposed to gay marriage is that it actually damages straight marriage. A heterosexual who believes that would certainly have a bias directly related to their sexual preference in that case.

You'll forgive the crude comparisons but you wouldn't want a white supremacist or a misogynist presiding over equal protection cases, and would likely deny them a seat on the bench. Maybe a less offensive comparison would be that you wouldn't want the judge in the Apple/Samsung patent dispute to own a few hundred million shares of Apple stock.

But isn't this case like assuming that all white people were white supremacists because of their skin color? Certainly we don't want white supremacist judges, but shouldn't we have evidence of such a racial bias before throwing them out because they're white and thus COULD have a bias?

Edit: I know you're not supporting their argument or anything, but it seems like their REAL argument is that "gays can't be impartial".

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Edit: I know you're not supporting their argument or anything, but it seems like their REAL argument is that "gays can't be impartial".

I don't even think it's that complicated.

It boils down simply: they want judges who are biased the same way they are.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Great! Please explain it to me?

it's not just that he's gay, he's also involved with gay rights groups.... so I can understand why someone might question his capacity to leave behind his personal feelings on legal issues of gay rights, but I highly, highly doubt that same standard is applied to heterosexual nominees.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

I like how your archetypical white male gets a pass on everything.

You could also apply the logic as so a few decades ago: "Woah, we can't have a black judge, he'd most likely rule that blacks have a choice to sit at the FRONT of the bus! He'd be biased!"

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Get used to bigots having bigot logic. Bigots are bigots because they are unable to reason.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Because heterosexuality doesnt influence their judicial decisions? And the concept of being an open heterosexual doesnot make sense?

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
it's not just that he's gay, he's also involved with gay rights groups.... so I can understand why someone might question his capacity to leave behind his personal feelings on legal issues of gay rights, but I highly, highly doubt that same standard is applied to heterosexual nominees.

Shouldn't he simply be able to recuse himself from cases involving that then?

Wait, wasn't Virgina the place where a judge fairly recently had an almost undeniable conflict of interest and ruled in in a way that benefited him?

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Because heterosexuality doesnt influence their judicial decisions?

How do you know that?

If the process is designed to favor heterosexuals over homosexuals -- and clearly it is -- would it not stand to reason that it might lead to candidates who are biased in that regard?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Virginia has a strange mix of ultra-libs and ultra-conservatives. When it comes to things like judges and courts they usually swing towards the religious right.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
How do you know that?

If the process is designed to favor heterosexuals over homosexuals -- and clearly it is -- would it not stand to reason that it might lead to candidates who are biased in that regard?

Well for instance this from the article:

Thorne-Begland, a decorated officer and fighter pilot -- came out as a gay Naval officer 20 years ago to challenge the military's now-defunct "don't ask don't tell" policy. His announcement resulted in his honorable discharge from the Navy. Between 2002 and 2006, he also served on the board of Equality Virginia, a nonprofit gay rights group.

I can see why people might think he would be biased.

Oct 16, 1999

It's because gay men are slaves to their urges while straight men are able to keep their homosexual urges at bay.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I like how your archetypical white male gets a pass on everything.

You could also apply the logic as so a few decades ago: "Woah, we can't have a black judge, he'd most likely rule that blacks have a choice to sit at the FRONT of the bus! He'd be biased!"

Why not? Democrats basically did just that when they filibustered Miguel Estrada not even a decade ago. So it's fair when (D)s reject a latino dude, but then it happens to a gay dude it becomes a problem?