Vintage VW crew - need some help

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Turin, thats in Northern Italy :)

When you first posted pics of your bug, my pea brain went..BINGO!..Euro personal import. I bet someone brought it over, maybe a serviceman. I bought my 67'Bug from an Air Force guy that kept his when he came home from Germany.
Never have I seen a Volks like that. I have seen pics of Tipillo Fiats & Citroen 2CVs that had tops just like that.
It just might be a Euro convertible conversion company that did that work.

In So Cal, California Sunroof did conversions for a number of imported car companies but they are long gone, I think, mmm, not sure.
In my 30 years of going to car shows or the Pomona swap meet(biggie), I have not seen one like you got. I like what you got. Sorry I can't help. I was going to offer Samba.....Suprize.

I would post pics on a British a/c VW website and you just might get lucky. The Brits are big on DIY restoration and are eager to help.

g/y

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
yeesh. A local shop did the work, I believe they even still have the cut out piece laying around somewhere. Trouble is they had never seen anything like it before either. I think Im going to end up tracking down the guy I got the car from, he isnt answering my emails but I do know where he lives. We work entirely opposite schedules or I would have gotten to him already.

Ive posted on shoptalkforums and no one recognizes it, asked a few local vw people to no avail. Got to figure something out, one of my clips went out and I didnt fix it in a timely fashion, causing the top to put itself down on the highway. Its fixable with a few parts but no one seems to know who made the thing and I am starting to doubt if they are still in business.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
If your looking for hardware, gaskets, rubber seals or top canvas.
The place to start is hemmings.com, even if nothing as far as supplier or parts shows on site, go to B&N or Boarder's Book Store and pick-up a copy of their magazine. If you have never page through a copy of Hemming's Motor News,
your in for a treat :) I'm almost sure your needs will be met. The suppliers that advertise in Hemming's are not the cheap way out but if they screw customers, Hemming's drops their adds. In other words, they can be trusted.

Wish you the best of luck on your project. Let me know by PM if you find anything in Hemming's.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
not finding anything on that site. the onlything I can remember from the sale is he called it a "super slider sunroof" havent found anything solid searching for that either