Views on Bush's visit to the UK.

George Powell

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
Personally I think it's good that he is visiting us.

Should help out with getting more American people to visit the UK as they still aren't filling our planes like they used to.

gar598

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2001
I think the cost estimates for security are somewhere in the ballpark of $20 million, I think the money can be better spent. Why don't they just meet on some remote island, or better yet, they could use the wonders of telephoning.

gar598

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Or they could not meet and the world could totally isolate the US.

Good suggestion!!!!! We give other countries too much money to ever be isolated. Money talks.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
George, our next vacation is scheduled for France. If you think of liberals and conservatives, what do you think their relative proportions are for vacationing in Europe?

George Powell

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
From working in the travel industry I have noticed that there has been a reduction in the number of people travelling across the Atlantic since September 2001 - for obvious reasons.

As for where people travel to, I am not overly concerned but in my personal opinion and I'm sure some others as well Mr Bush's visit to the UK this week will help in bringing some much needed confidence back to international travel.

As for vacationing in Europe I have no idea what proportion of American's choose to cross the Atlantic. I do know that not everyone is either able to or willing to make the trip - be in to the UK, France or indeed any other European country. What I do know is that a good number or regular travellers are longer coming across.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
personally I wouldn't be too upset if a protester nailed him in the head with a Red Stripe beer bottle and gave him a concussion that he doesn't wake from for a year or two but beyond that I have no thoughts in particular about the matter.

On a less serious note I figure this trip is all about delivering the news personally from bush that he can't give the UK all the reconstruction contracts that had been promised for their support and troups, because the country is going to be turned over to the iraqis sooner than planned.

Sort of a "yes, you risked your political career for me and will get absolutely nothing in return, but I thank you." speech from the heart of GW, followed up with a "Now can I count on you for support and troups in Iran too" query. :D