Question [Videocardz] Threadripper Pro specs

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

12/16/32/64 core models. Frequency is slightly lower than Threadripper, but you do get 8 channel memory and 128 4.0 lanes.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
View attachment 25360

View attachment 25361

Now with these new 120 Lanes ThreadRippers this is really silly now.
Those are not the Xeon-W's he is talking about. That would be the W-3175 I think. 4.6 ghz and 28 cores. But I imaging the 32 core version of these new ones will blow them away easily, as if the 4 channel Threadripper 3970x did not before anyway.

Its like "how badly can we trash Intel" is what AMD is saying IMO. I mean 4.3 ghz, 64 cores, 128 PCIE 4.0 lanes and 8 channel memory supporting ECC, that is just incredible Makes the 7742 EPYC's look sick..

Reactions: Tlh97 and soresu

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017

12/16/32/64 core models. Frequency is slightly lower than Threadripper, but you do get 8 channel memory and 128 4.0 lanes.
If that leak is correct (and it does look so) AMD missed the chance to name these parts Epyc Workstation instead.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Markfw

Markfw

May 16, 2002
How many workstations from the major OEMs did Threadripper find its way into?

None.

That's why these pro parts are important. Without them AMD had nothing to offer to the market targeted by things such as Mac Pros.
So the fact that DIY builders could have made a bunch counts for nothing ? And how many W3175 did Intel sell compared to 3970x and 3990x Threadrippers ? The OEMS are a factor, but not the only factor.

Reactions: Tlh97

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
How many workstations from the major OEMs did Threadripper find its way into?

None.

That's why these pro parts are important. Without them AMD had nothing to offer to the market targeted by things such as Mac Pros.
Then you should have specifically stated "Finally some Competition for Intel Xeon OEM Workstation market" because competition is quite a broad statement and I took it as performance competition.

Reactions: Tlh97

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Then you should have specifically stated "Finally some Competition for Intel Xeon OEM Workstation market" because competition is quite a broad statement and I took it as performance competition.
Read my comment again. I said competition for Xeon W which specifically means that particular market segment.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
So the fact that DIY builders could have made a bunch counts for nothing ? And how many W3175 did Intel sell compared to 3970x and 3990x Threadrippers ? The OEMS are a factor, but not the only factor.
DIY counts for nothing in this space. These parts are sold by OEMs and I doubt you'll see any of these in retail. The tweet by Lenovo is increasing my suspicion that these parts will only be sold through OEM channels.

Reactions: lightmanek

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Why is Rome not a competitor to a Xeon-W ?
Let's be 100% honest here, it was always a pain in the back hole to research and actually find a suitable motherboard for your epyc if you're a simple consumer looking for one single workstation, and that too would only give you the boost clock that makes Intel advocates go crazy overboard and to insert charts from gamersnexus where the 3175 is OC'd to 5 GHz and consuming a small town's worth of energy. TR Pro seems to be at 4.2 GHz boost with VASTLY superior memory and I/O. Finally.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Let's be 100% honest here, it was always a pain in the back hole to research and actually find a suitable motherboard for your epyc if you're a simple consumer looking for one single workstation, and that too would only give you the boost clock that makes Intel advocates go crazy overboard and to insert charts from gamersnexus where the 3175 is OC'd to 5 GHz and consuming a small town's worth of energy. TR Pro seems to be at 4.2 GHz boost with VASTLY superior memory and I/O. Finally.
Actually, it was very easy to find a motherboard for all my EPYC boards. I can't find almost any boards for AM4 or X399. They are all OOS or way overpriced.(think scalpers). Now the selection is not all that great or the features for those. I can't even get more than 2 USB ports on the IO plate, none on the front panel for EPYC boards.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Actually, it was very easy to find a motherboard for all my EPYC boards. I can't find almost any boards for AM4 or X399. They are all OOS or way overpriced.(think scalpers). Now the selection is not all that great or the features for those. I can't even get more than 2 USB ports on the IO plate, none on the front panel for EPYC boards.
Not everyone lives in the U.S., don't forget that! :D

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Let's be 100% honest here, it was always a pain in the back hole to research and actually find a suitable motherboard for your epyc if you're a simple consumer looking for one single workstation
ThreadRipper is Amd Segment for Workstations not Epyc. Castle Peak has you covered for Work Station duties

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
ThreadRipper is Amd Segment for Workstations not Epyc. Castle Peak has you covered for Work Station duties
I was not talking to you, but to the poster who actually asked why Epyc wasn't a competitor till now. In many cases TR is so much better than any Intel option, that there's no real competition there. For things where a lot of ECC RAM was needed, AMD didn't have any consumer options until now. The Pro security and management options will make TR also viable for enterprises, where validation and long term reliability are all that matter to the management. All these things make me say: finally.

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
These should be AMD long awaited answer to how both TR1+2/3 platform ecosystems lacks Server-style geared Motherboards. There are like two AsRock Rack Motherboards with a BMC for IPMI and that is, the rest are pretty much all gaming gimmicked Motherboards. These new TR PRO are fixing a gaping hole in AMD lineup of parts that had to have a very high max ST Turbo to satisfy some workloads, which no EPYC does since they cap around 3.3 GHz or so, and simultaneously use a Server oriented platform, which TR Sockets almost completely lacks. Xeons W could do both, and even Xeons Scalables usually got rather high ST Turbos. That was a notorious weakness of AMD TR and EPYC lineups.
And now they're still missing proper AM4 Server Motherboards with more availability of the Ryzen Pro line to tackle on the Xeon E line. Again, you had two or three AsRock Rack Motherboards and nothing else.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
This looks like a competitor to the Xeon W Series. I like it! As covered, they still need a proper competitor to the Xeon E, not to mention the Xeon D (though admittedly, the embedded market moves so slow that they genuinely may be good with the Snowy Owl EPYC 3000 for a while, though it'd be nice to see those 10Gb links get used on shipping products).

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
This looks like a competitor to the Xeon W Series.

1594421079538.png

Here the 7402P vs Xeon W-3275 does pretty good(24 Cores of Higher IPC vs 28 Faster Cores with lower IPC)

Serve The home was actually recommending the ThreadRippers as Workstation CPUs over Xeons and over Epycs, now they are going to go crazy with these TR PRO lines

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Threadripper does allow you to use ECC but I reckon AMD didn't really properly validate it. Some workstation apps want frequency too, which is why Epyc isn't a competitor either. You need both, and only Threadripper Pro offers that.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019