[videocardz][PCPer][AT] Nvidia Price drops and 780Ti pricing/launch details

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sure, you feel all mighty because you folked out that much dough when a 780 HOF or something matches it for much less.. keep beating your chest.

Titan is only a gaming card for people who don't value $$.

It seems to me that you hate the card merely on price rather than the merits of the product.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Please do elaborate on the merits of the Titan beyond DP...
6GB, but yeah, I agree. It's overpriced for its capacity as a gaming card, and trying to make it out as anything else is ignorance at best.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Please do elaborate on the merits of the Titan beyond DP...

How about it being the fastest card on the market until 290x which barely tops it? Or the extra vram which may prove very useful in upcoming games? There's already some games that hardocp tested that demonstrate the benefit of the additional vram.

Just because the price was prohibitive doesn't magically make it a non gaming card, that's really stupid reasoning. Those of us that bought it upon release had r9 290x performance long before everyone else. That's worth the price if you can afford it.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Titan was only relevant when it was the only GK110 card in town. Once the 780 was released and we started to see what aftermarket 780s could do, it became a sad joke, losing to aftermarket OC 780s. I dumped mine like a couple hot potatoes and managed to come out of it not losing much and wound up with faster cards as well.

If I still had them I would be dumping them quick fast before 780ti comes out and nvidia releases yet another card cheaper and potentially faster than the Titan.....

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Titans can be had for cheap now. It was a novelty item and paid for JHH's new car.

Slomo4shO

Nov 17, 2008
How about it being the fastest card on the market until 290x which barely tops it? Or the extra vram which may prove very useful in upcoming games?

The fastest out-of-the-box card on the market is actually the Galaxy 780 HOF and it is currently $540. If you want to discuss overclock performance, the 780 is still within margin of error of the Titan. I would be happy to look at these so called gaming benchmarks that show that the 3GB vram is a bottleneck at 1440P/1600P or are you referring to multi-monitor setups or 4K resolution?

Last edited:

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
Titan was only relevant when it was the only GK110 card in town. Once the 780 was released and we started to see what aftermarket 780s could do, it became a sad joke, losing to aftermarket OC 780s. I dumped mine like a couple hot potatoes and managed to come out of it not losing much and wound up with faster cards as well.

If I still had them I would be dumping them quick fast before 780ti comes out and nvidia releases yet another card cheaper and potentially faster than the Titan.....

This has nothing to do with the original statement of titan not being a gaming card. It was overpriced, that's no real revelation. It's certainly not a professional grade card like Tesla.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
This has nothing to do with the original statement of titan not being a gaming card. It was overpriced, that's no real revelation. It's certainly not a professional grade card like Tesla.
You're just arguing semantics and completely missing the point. The Titan is a conumer level HPC card. It has the necessary hardware to game, but there's a lot more under the hood that grants it so much more functionality. Since its design first debut as a professional level card, it was only the first step in bringing GK110 to the gaming community. The 780 and 780 Ti are the evolution of that design, being better designed for gaming, faster, cheaper, and more efficient. As it stands, Titan was a poor value for a gaming card whose design was eclipsed 3 months later by the 780, arguing otherwise is just ignorance.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
You're just arguing semantics and completely missing the point. The Titan is a conumer level HPC card. It has the necessary hardware to game, but there's a lot more under the hood that grants it so much more functionality. Since its design first debut as a professional level card, it was only the first step in bringing GK110 to the gaming community. The 780 and 780 Ti are the evolution of that design, being better designed for gaming, faster, cheaper, and more efficient. As it stands, Titan was a poor value for a gaming card whose design was eclipsed 3 months later by the 780, arguing otherwise is just ignorance.

The 780 eclipsed it how again? It was cheaper with half the vram and 1 SMX less. That's hardly a better or more efficient design. It was just a further cut down card to make the price more pallatable for the masses that wanted GK110 performance. There's no arguing Titan was a poor value and always has been, those of us that bought it knew this from day one. However, calling it a professional card is ridiculous because it isn't one. It's DP might come in useful for some low budget developer but for anyone else serious about doing professional work, they'll use NVIDIA's professional grade cards with certified drivers.

Now let's see how NVIDIA describes Titan: "Introducing GeForce® GTX TITAN.
Bring the powerful NVIDIA® Kepler™
architecture technology that drives
the Oak Ridge National Laboratory's
Titan supercomputer to your
next gaming experience."

It could be priced at a million dollars and still be a gaming card. Price:performance does not qualify whether a card is a gaming card or non-gaming card. The fact that this has to even be pointed out is pretty sad.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
The 780 eclipsed it how again? It was cheaper with half the vram and 1 SMX less. That's hardly a better or more efficient design. It was just a further cut down card to make the price more pallatable for the masses that wanted GK110 performance. There's no arguing Titan was a poor value and always has been, those of us that bought it knew this from day one. However, calling it a professional card is ridiculous because it isn't one. It's DP might come in useful for some low budget developer but for anyone else serious about doing professional work, they'll use NVIDIA's professional grade cards with certified drivers.

Now let's see how NVIDIA describes Titan: "Introducing GeForce® GTX TITAN.
Bring the powerful NVIDIA® Kepler™
architecture technology that drives
the Oak Ridge National Laboratory's
Titan supercomputer to your
next gaming experience."

It could be priced at a million dollars and still be a gaming card. Price:performance does not qualify whether a card is a gaming card or non-gaming card. The fact that this has to even be pointed out is pretty sad.

So by your own definition:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-635-oem

GeForce GT 635 (OEM)
Accelerate your desktop’s performance by up to 4x with cutting-edge GeForce GT 635 dedicated graphics. Get PhysX support and faster performance in popular games, web browsing, Microsoft Windows, as well as photo and video editing applications.

You could call this a gaming card too?

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Two Days ago I got the Galaxy nVidia 780... $499.99 free SH and Batman game & t-shirt for son... :) What, 2 weeks ago that card was @ $650.

Battlefield 4 at 1920x1200.... Oh, baby....

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
Two Days ago I got the Galaxy nVidia 780... $499.99 free SH and Batman game & t-shirt for son... :) What, 2 weeks ago that card was @ $650.

Battlefield 4 at 1920x1200.... Oh, baby....

Grats on your purchase. I haven't finalized anything yet or booted up BF4 since beta, but I do have it downloaded.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Is that what you come up with when people can see the horrendous value in the titan (especially after the 780/290x)? :rolleyes:

Most people who bought the Titan weren't and aren't a value/$ purchaser. If they are like me they purchased because it was the fastest mofo on the planet. As a matter of fact I don't know anyone who has ever tried to make any kind of argument that the Titan was ever a value/$ product unless they were a cuda user. As a gamer I wanted and received the fastest single gpu card on the market. I like video cards and value/$ isn't my main criteria. Besides that gaming is my hobby and I can afford to buy nice stuff to support my hobby. Some people spend lots on audio or cars and I spend on computer gear.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Grats on your purchase. I haven't finalized anything yet or booted up BF4 since beta, but I do have it downloaded.

Thanks.

I played one map yesterday, and two today. Team Death Match. TDM maps are 30 minutes long... too long, IMO. I don't recall seeing servers listing normal/hardcore modes...But when I played, it was crazy how the enemy guy did not go down immediately when I hit him with a 249... On this one map, a modern city with wide streets, we had some amazing tank battles... fun. I reserve judgement on new games for at least a few weeks, as I tend to hate all games initially.

Hope to have the 780 nVidia by Saturday.......... All my former hobby/golf money now goes to my computer components fund... I have major character flaws...

Last edited:

Slomo4shO

Nov 17, 2008
Don't you know computers are only for gaming :rolleyes:

You must not have read the article :) The only things the card excels at in a workbench setting is TessMark (27.6% faster than a 680), CUDA, and DP folding. In any other scenario, the 7970 GE is the card of choice for a budget workhorse. The card is called the "The Ultimate CUDA Development GPU" for a reason. It is the only thing that it truly excels at.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
Most people who bought the Titan weren't and aren't a value/$ purchaser. If they are like me they purchased because it was the fastest mofo on the planet. As a matter of fact I don't know anyone who has ever tried to make any kind of argument that the Titan was ever a value/$ product unless they were a cuda user. As a gamer I wanted and received the fastest single gpu card on the market. I like video cards and value/$ isn't my main criteria. Besides that gaming is my hobby and I can afford to buy nice stuff to support my hobby. Some people spend lots on audio or cars and I spend on computer gear.

i am glad you got something you like. I mean, its your money spend it on what makes you happy.

I have a family now and have been very conservative on my PC upgrades. But i understand how people with a deep love for PC and hardware can get joy from buying the very things that bring them joy. I do not understand, however, why there are people out there that attack and criticize others for their purchase. Thats not a love for all things PC, thats just hating . Is it envy or jealousy? Why would people go out of their way to put down others buy with their money? It is bizarre

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
So by your own definition:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-635-oem

You could call this a gaming card too?

As long as the video card can execute and run a game (doesn't matter what settings) it still is a gaming card. ALOT of people use low end cards to play games and some of them thinks its perfectly fine (those that are competitive actually turn down settings..) It maybe a poor gaming card but this will usually depend on the individual's standard. Titan is definitely a gaming card as well as being a cheaper compute card.

I agree with the joker. Why so serious..