[videocardz][PCPer][AT] Nvidia Price drops and 780Ti pricing/launch details

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
AMD would do the exact same thing if they ever actually found themselves on top in a given generation.

Nvidia's CEO has said many times, the competition sets the price.

Yeah there's that. But the real issue here is that I miss your kitten.

Jhatfie

Jan 20, 2004
I am pretty interested in picking up a 780 at this new pricing and am having a hard time saying no as the game bundle are 3 free game titles are ones I would pick up anyway. I am however holding out to see where the 290 (non X) is priced. If it comes in at $399 and performs on par with the 780 (which leaks suggest it does), I'll likely get one once custom cooler versions show up, however if it is priced at $450, then my preference will bend back towards a 780.

Aithos

Oct 9, 2013
I am very glad that I waited to buy my parts until the new AMD cards came out. I'm not completely brand loyal but my last couple GPUs have been nVidia and they have earned my business with a lack of issues (of any kind, driver or hardware). I am also particularly excited about the ability to stream/encode video without a major performance hit, that's a big deal for competitive gamers and shouldn't be overlooked as fluff.

Now the debate becomes do I take the savings on the EVGA 780 superclocked/classified and run or do I spring for the 780ti and have two of the best card available? I'll be agonizing over it until I see the specs on the 780ti no doubt, since it launches late next week hopefully they will announce the specs in the next couple days so I have time to think over the choice. I've put off my system build long enough, I'm ready to order parts!!!

I don't care who you give credit to for the price drop (AMD forced nVidia or nVidia one upped AMD) I'm just glad the prices dropped because I'm a consumer and I like my money (or better value for the money).

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
^^Damn. That's one heckuva competitive price for that card. Thank you AMD. Now please put a good cooler or your 290X's and really pump up the competition.

-edit-

What the heck...VRM's catching on fire with that card supposedly...sheesh. Don't know if that is true or not, but that definitely is not a good thing if so

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

Man. The card performs well for sure but does anyone like the aesthetics? I can't stand it. Maybe if I had a white case or something i'd go for it, but it looks rather hideous to me. I've always liked the MSI lightning line of cards but now the 780 lightning looks rather cheesy. Ugh. I think the best 780 in terms of aesthetics is probably the Asus DC II to be honest.

/nitpick

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Man. The card performs well for sure but does anyone like the aesthetics? I can't stand it. Maybe if I had a white case or something i'd go for it, but it looks rather hideous to me. I've always liked the MSI lightning line of cards but now the 780 lightning looks rather cheesy. Ugh. I think the best 780 in terms of aesthetics is probably the Asus DC II to be honest.

/nitpick

I know of someone with a white case :awe:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
^^Damn. That's one heckuva competitive price for that card. Thank you AMD. Now please put a good cooler or your 290X's and really pump up the competition.

-edit-

What the heck...VRM's catching on fire with that card supposedly...sheesh. Don't know if that is true or not, but that definitely is not a good thing if so

:D I just read that too. I guess if someone if that interested in this card, they should check out some user experiences over at OCN.

/nitpick

It would look perfect in my case :p

:$

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

So let's talk aesthetics. Which 780 card looks best to you? I think the new Asus double slot DC II looks pretty bad-ass. Matches my case and motherboard too. I thought about the 780 lightning, but NAH. Looks really cheesy with that middle fan. Although, it's tempting with the new 549.99$ price (cheaper than the classy)

Right now it's between asus DC II and the EVGA classified for SLI. Decisions!

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I am thinking about getting a 770 or 780 today but where are the Shield vouchers?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I am thinking about getting a 770 or 780 today but where are the Shield vouchers?

I would DEFINITELY double check on this but all 770/780 cards come with a "holiday bundle" voucher. On that voucher card are your 3 game codes and presumably a shield redemption code. Honestly, i'm not a fan of android gaming at ALL but that's just me - anyway, it should be on that voucher.

Definitely definitely double check on this. This is what i've heard from others, though.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Not sure, but go for the 780....you know you want to..
yeah but then i think about my cpu which if i go 4770k then i need a new mobo. then if i do that i want windows 8.1. lol

and the 770 wont cost that much by the time i sell my 660ti and sell the games.

still i need to know what the deal is with the Shield here.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I would DEFINITELY double check on this but all 770/780 cards come with a "holiday bundle" voucher. On that voucher card are your 3 game codes and presumably a shield redemption code. Honestly, i'm not a fan of android gaming at ALL but that's just me - anyway, it should be on that voucher.

Definitely definitely double check on this. This is what i've heard from others, though.
is it a voucher i can sell like the games? well sell anywhere but here because anandtech dont allow that.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
yeah but then i think about my cpu which if i go 4770k then i need a new mobo. then if i do that i want windows 8.1. lol

and the 770 wont cost that much by the time i sell my 660ti and sell the games.

still i need to know what the deal is with the Shield here.

Yes sir, the upgrades start to pile up. Blackened is probably right, the voucher probably has the info on the shield promo. You could always ping Nvidia on their FB page..

Edit - People are selling their games codes on [H] after they purchase a new card.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040327691#post1040327691

Last edited: