[videocardz][PCPer][AT] Nvidia Price drops and 780Ti pricing/launch details

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
what ? the R9 290X(uber) is anywhere from 12 - 20% faster than a GTX 780 at stock at 1440p/1600p.

So what? Far fewer people will find the 290X tempting since it no longer has the 100$ price advantage over the 780. That 100$ price advantage was the reason why it received such glowing reviews despite the terrible reference shroud used on it. In fact, if I were on the market for a new GPU i'd pretty much lean towards the 780OC if it sold for 510$.

I don't expect you to EVER admit it, but the 290X at 550$ is a harder sell now because of this. Some people will still buy it, sure, but the 780 sure does look really attractive now at 499$. AMD could offset that by matching the 499$ price, and pricing the 290 at 400$. That's what they should do given the terrible reference cooler used. AMD could have prevented any criticism about the cooler entirely. We wouldn't be even discussing this if AMD had gone all out with the 290X. But clearly they cut corners, and that makes the 290X less attractive as a result.

Last edited:

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I can't believe they're still charging 1000$ for a Titan and didn't lower the price. What's up with that? Eh, not like anyone took it seriously after the 780 was released anyway.

At the end of the PcPer post, Ryan said Titans were still flying off the shelf according to Nvidia so they werent lowering it - there really must be a big CUDA developer following on it -

"NVIDIA did NOT announce a GTX TITAN price drop which might surprise some people. I think the answer as to why will be addressed with the launch of the GTX 780 Ti next month but from what I was hearing over the last couple of weeks NVIDIA can't make the cards fast enough to satisfy demand so reducing margin there just didn't make sense. "

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
Clearly, the 290X at stock is beating the 780 - by 11% at 1080p and more at higher resolutions. And as it happened it matched the Titan despite not gunning for it.

I think it needs to be pointed out, however, that those are stock 780s. The ones that most people are buying are the stock 'overclocked' counterparts. Those cards are just as fast, and faster once overclocked further (at least until AIBs come out with their own coolers for the 290X). Those cards will likely remain $10 higher, so $509.99 to $519.99 I guess, but still cheaper than the $549 R9 290X.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
So what? Far fewer people will find the 290X tempting since it no longer has the 100$ price advantage over the 780. That 100$ price advantage was the reason why it received such glowing reviews despite the terrible reference shroud used on it. In fact, if I were on the market for a new GPU i'd pretty much lean towards the 780OC if it sold for 510$.

I don't expect you to EVER admit it, but the 290X at 550$ is a harder sell now because of this. Some people will still buy it, sure, but the 780 sure does look really attractive now at 499$. AMD could offset that by matching the 499$ price, and pricing the 290 at 400$. That's what they should do given the terrible reference cooler used. AMD could have prevented any criticism about the cooler entirely. We wouldn't be even discussing this if AMD had gone all out with the 290X. But clearly they cut corners, and that makes the 290X less attractive as a result to me anyway.

This is exactly how I'm feeling right now. I'm tempted to just order the HOF once the price cut kicks in and call it a day.

But I'm going to try hard to at least wait for 780 Ti and custom cooled R9 290X.

But like Blackened said, with that $100 diff gone and now it's $50 less, the R9 290X initial magic is pretty much gone. It's officially the GTX 480, hungrier, hotter, louder, and cost more for a small performance gain.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I think it needs to be pointed out, however, that those are stock 780s. The ones that most people are buying are the stock 'overclocked' counterparts. Those cards are just as fast, and faster once overclocked further (at least until AIBs come out with their own coolers for the 290X). Those cards will likely remain $10 higher, so $509.99 to $519.99 I guess, but still cheaper than the $549 R9 290X.

I know that and that was not even my point. What I was getting at is that AMD should lower the 290X cost to 499$ to match the 780s cost now, being that the 780OC will likely be in that price range (510-520$, and 550$ for over-voltage capable cards). The 290X is less attractive as a result of the cheap crap cooler it uses and therefore it should be price cut. And it should have never settle.

Basically, I think a lot of folks will lean towards 780OC as opposed to 290X now precisely due to the horrible cooler that AMD is using. Because of this, a price cut on the 290X makes all too much sense to me. I don't expect Rhagu to admit this, though ;)

Last edited:

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I know that and that was not even my point. My point was that AMD should lower the 290X cost to 499$ to match the 780s cost now, being that the 780OC will likely be in that price range (510-520$, and 550$ for over-voltage capable cards), the 290X is less attractive as a result of the cheap crap cooler it uses. Therefore it should be price cut. And it should have never settle.

Basically, I think a lot of folks will lean towards 780OC as opposed to 290X now precisely due to the horrible cooler that AMD is using. Because of this, a price cut on the 290X makes all too much sense to me. I don't expect Rhagu to admit this, though ;)

Once the custom coolers come in the price will go up too, so $550 is now $560-580.

And if 780 Ti say slots at $600 just to keep pressure strong, what's the point of R9 290X @ $550?

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
RIP AMD.

You had a nice run for 2 weeks. lol

GTX 780 OEM models match 290X for $50 less.
GTX 780 Ti beat R9 290X. It cost $150 more but you get better performance, way better cooler, G-sync support, Shadowplay support etc.

All they had to do was to wait for AMD to release their GPUs, then counter it the minute it came out.

8 months alone on the market, selling Titan for $999, making big profits. Then when AMD come dragging behind and finally releasing a GPU that match it, have no problem lowering the price down to be competitive.

GTX Titan: 8 months alone until R9 290X came out.
GTX 690: Over a year alone until 7990 came out
GTX 780: 4 months alone, until 290X came out.
R9 290X finally out, counter attack by GTX 780 TI 2 weeks after.

With GK110, Nvidia have beaten AMD bigtime this generation. Its not even funny.

This kind of inane thread crapping will be stopping. The AT forums are a place of meaningful discussion. This has no place here.
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
RIP AMD.

GTX 780 Ti beat R9 290X. It cost $150 more but you get better performance, way better cooler, G-sync support, Shadowplay.

You really are annoying with the gloating trolls. You know that? If you have something useful to say, say it. Running around gloating is what got you banned at OCN. It is annoying. It's annoying when the AMD guys do it. It's annoying when YOU do it.

I think everyone agrees the 290X is less attractive now. Hell, I will straight up say the 780OC is more attractive now with the 499$ price. Now, how about acting like a normal person instead of running around this forum gloating and trolling. It got you banned at OCN, didn't it? You've more or less used this gloat/troll posting template ever since you got here and you did the same at OCN. Act like a normal person.

Last edited:
May 13, 2009
Tbh I'd take a 780 over the 290x and pocket the $50 if I was in the market. Better cooler and $50 is still$50.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010

I agree. There is no reason to buy a 290X right now with that crap cooler they put on it. The only thing that made it tolerable was that the R9 290X was $100 less than the 780...and oh my did they play that up as hard as they could. Now they can't. Right now the 290X is a dead duck except to the most hardcore AMD loyalist. Once the aftermarket cards come out, if they are able to get better performance along with keeping noise and heat better under control, that may change.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Tbh I'd take a 780 over the 290x and pocket the $50 if I was in the market. Better cooler and $50 is still$50.

And 3 current games, don't forget that.

AMD's bundle is old and tired, and BF4 caters to only one specific demograph, not saying NV's bundle is better...no I am, Batman/Ass Creed alone are strong titles.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Now if AMD would release the R9 290 for $400-$429 I could see if stealing some of the GTX 780's thunder, especially since the leaked slides show it about neck and neck with it. I would buy a R9 290 over a GTX 780 if I would save around $100.. of course with a better cooler :D My Skyrim would love the 4GB of vram when I upgrade my monitor.

Last edited:

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
Blah blah blah. You really are annoying with the gloating trolls. You know that? If you have something useful to say, say it. Running around gloating is what got you banned at OCN. It is annoying. It's annoying when the AMD guys do it. It's annoying when YOU do it.

I think everyone agrees the 290X is less attractive now. Hell, I will straight up say the 780OC is more attractive now with the 499$ price. Now, how about acting like a normal person instead of running around this forum gloating and trolling. It got you banned at OCN, didn't it? You've more or less used this gloat/troll posting template ever since you got here and you did the same at OCN. Act like a normal person.

I`m not doing anything against the rules.
Keep on trying but the only troll here is you that keep shifting the discussion to something personal because you can`t handle that Nvidia have way better strategy.

Hence why you respond so angry (really funny btw and pretty revealing about yourself) and tell people they are gloating. I`m just posting facts. Deal with it or log off.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Yeah. Its amazing how that 290X went from AWESOME to like, NAH, in like 5 seconds. I'd take the 780 also, lol. I feel like such a twat for pumping up that 290x only to run back to my daddy brand. I'm not in the market though.

tg2708

May 23, 2013
I have to admit that that the amd 290x is less appealing right now but I would like to see mantle performance (yes said it too many times) before I jump. 7970 is doing pretty well for the games I throw at it. Also their is something about nvidia cards that makes me desire them more, either its the abundance of features or the care that goes into designing the cards.

Also which brand of cards are the best for 780's?

Last edited:

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
NV kicked AMD in the nuts with the new pricing on the 780. Simple as that.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
I have to admit that that the amd 290x is less appealing right now but I would like to see mantle performance (yes said it too many times) before I jump. 7970 is doing pretty well for the games I throw at it. Also their is something about nvidia cards that makes me desire them more, either its the dearth of features or the care that goes into designing the cards.

Also which brand of cards are the best for 780's?

So when is the ETA for their magical Mantle? Next year somewhere?

Also, you should read this.
Nvidia have this under full control ;)
According to Carmack himself, Nvidia’s OpenGL extensions can give similar improvements – regarding draw calls – with AMD’s Mantle.
Also, Mantle is likely to get really low developer support vs Nvidia with their OpenGL support ;)
http://anandtech.com/show/7437/tim-sweeney-johan-andersson-john-carmack-nv-montreal-live-blog

Sweeney: there's some good ideas in Mantle we really liked the idea of having low overhead access to the GPU, if you look back at DX/OGL, there's a lot of overhead in those APIs and the fact that they date back to the old SGI model of rendering which is very different than the current model, potentially unified memory, good ideas there I hope it really helps the OGL community and MS evolve their APIs. Would I like to have a low level API? Yes. Five of them? Absolutely not. To have yet another API on the PC that's still different than the DX API and OpenGL, and OpenGL ES and different than PS4 low level API, I don't think it's a good idea.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This pricing is what Nvidia's pricing typically has been through the years. The issue was when the 780 was release AMD had no answer. Now they finally have an answer and Nvidia rolls out the old pricing. Yay for competition. But it would had been nice if the 290 showed up closer to the time of the 700 series launch.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
This pricing is what Nvidia's pricing typically has been through the years. The issue was when the 780 was release AMD had no answer. Now they finally have an answer and Nvidia rolls out the old pricing. Yay for competition. But it would had been nice if the 290 showed up closer to the time of the 700 series launch.

Blame AMD for taking this long.
One can`t blame Nvidia for using the opportunity alone on the market to demand whatever they want for it. Its not like they forced people to buy Titan anyway. Atleast they had a cheaper offer 4 months later, as GTX 780.

Competition is good. Pretty dirty tactics by offering the 780 Ti days after the 290X launch though. The event from Montreal was really good timing.

Last edited:

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
AMD made it a big point to mention that the 290X was not competing in the "ultra enthusiast" segment, in other words, their target was the GTX 780 and not the Titan. Clearly, the 290X at stock is beating the 780 - by 11% at 1080p and more at higher resolutions. And as it happened it matched the Titan despite not gunning for it.

But now the 780 is cheaper. So now what? The 290X was gunning for the 780 as a direct competitor and WAS 100$ cheaper. Now the 780 is 50$ cheaper.
IMO, Being that AMD wanted to make their card more appealing than the 780, to me it makes sense for the 290X reference to be 499$ at a minimum preferably with a game bundle. It doesn't have to be BF4, but never settle would be a good start. Aftermarket cards would range from 510-550$ depending, that's whatever.

So if it is 11% faster at 1080P and more at higher resolutions, and would be 10% more expensive ($500 for the 780GTX and $550 for the 290X). Sounds like things are lining up about right. I'm not sure that either company will budge just yet. My guess is AMD will count on the $450 (rurmored price) R9 290 to help round out the pricing and not move much unless the 780Ti shakes things up.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
RIP AMD.

GTX 780 Ti beat R9 290X. It cost $150 more but you get better performance, way better cooler, G-sync support, Shadowplay support etc.

All they had to do was to wait for AMD to release their GPUs, then counter it the minute it came out.

8 months alone on the market, selling Titan for $999, making big profits. Then when AMD come dragging behind and finally releasing a GPU that match it, have no problem lowering the price down to be competitive.

GTX Titan: 8 months alone until R9 290X came out.
GTX 690: Over a year alone until 7990 came out
GTX 780: 4 months alone, until 290X came out.
R9 290X finally out, counter attack by GTX 780 TI 2 weeks after.

With GK110, Nvidia have beaten AMD bigtime this generation. Its not even funny.
if you are going to troll then at least learn what the term OEM means...

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
I`m not doing anything against the rules.
Keep on trying but the only troll here is you that keep shifting the discussion to something personal because you can`t handle that Nvidia have way better strategy.

Hence why you respond so angry (really funny btw and pretty revealing about yourself) and tell people they are gloating. I`m just posting facts. Deal with it or log off.
I know its hard to hold back sometimes but i think you were being a little over the top.
People would be more likely to listen to you if you tone it down a bit. Its obvious AMD has done something right cause they got Nvidia's attention, and in a profound way. But just as Nvidia responded, AMD can too. This is all really exciting to me because we still have more GPUs to come. This is one of the most exciting times ever for graphic card lovers. I mean there are 2 really important GPUs still left to come. And they both have the potential to change everything.......and just like that. Its like holy smokes, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So i know its hard to hold back the excitement but man its only just starting. This will end up being one awesome orgasmic ending to a really slow dull year!!!!!!!
Thank you AMD..............and thank you nvidia