[Videocardz] Nvidia updates GeForce GTX 780 to GHz Edition

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
None of what you were saying makes any since because the AM 780 at ghz speeds is priced less than the 290x yet they perform better or at least as good.

According to hardware.fr the 780 clocked at a stable 980mhz
without throttling is still outmatched by the 290X.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008

i dont know how repeatable the GHZ charts are and i would love more data to come out on this. We need more sources, absolutely.

There are a few things to consider though:
- The 290x could get very different results depending on the environment,case, airflow, how long the benches are ran.
- the GHZ clocks are minimum 1006mhz which is already higher than 980mhz. The ghz boost is rated at 1046 but with nvidia boost independent results vary. Most cards will commonly boost well past the low balled 1046mhz.

Thats the issue with the direction AMD and Nvidia are going. There are many more variables now. Its not so simple anymore and with both companies shifting to variable clocks based on temperature, there is no doubt that results will vary as well. See even in the past we would see performance shifts from reviewer to reviewer, site to site. Although they may be similar, there were real differences. But now things could really vary from site to site. In much larger ways than before. But at the end of the day if one took the average across multiple sources, a clear trend would emerge. I do think we need a lot more information to make a definitive call. Now more than ever.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

I hate to break it to you, but 980mhz isn't a high clockspeed for an aftermarket 780. Most OC'ed 780 cards boost well past this, and before you mention it, the advertised boost on box is the minimum, every card i've seen or heard of boosts way higher. If you're talking reference, high 900s is probably a normal boost but aftermarket cards boost higher due to GPU boost 2.0 having more capability when temperatures lower. And aftermarket 780s are here now, and not here now for the 290X.

I think the situation is like this. OC'ed 780 cards match the Titan. 290X matches the Titan. When the GTX 780 cost 650$, the 290X was the better value. Now? Ehhhhhh. You can get OC'ed GTX 780 cards for about the same price as 290X and sometimes a little less - the best aftermarket 780 cards are 530-580$ (classified). The performance differences are very ambiguous and I agree with ocre in that things change depending on reviewing conditions and which games are tested - in other words, some games favor NV and others favor AMD. But the main point is, until aftermarket 290X cards arrive - with the performance differences between the OC'ed 780s and 290X being pretty ambiguous at 1080p-1600p, the OC'ed 780s are the same or slightly less in price, they have NV's software, and the 290X no longer has the value proposition as it did when the 780 was 650$. Also, I have to say hardware.fr pegging the 780 at 980mhz is the stupidest test condition I have ever heard. Every aftermarket 780 i've personally heard of and used boosts well past 1000 without throttling.

So since OC'ed 780 cards already match the Titan, it's a more attractive buy for most folks. It really is regrettable that AMD didn't get aftermarket cards out on day one, they really should have...when you analyze the situation, you can basically get an OC 780 for about the same price with a better cooler and NV's software. The performance difference between the best OC'ed 780s, 290X, and the Titan are very ambiguous. No clear winner. But there is a clear winner in noise and efficiency, so that basically eliminates the brief value proposition that the 290X once had. The 290 non-X can change this, and aftermarket 290X cards can change this. But, the 290X is a hard sell in my eyes right now unless you have an incredibly small case and can't use an open air cooler....

Last edited: