Question [Videocardz] nVidia planning 2060 12 GB

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Could be released by January. Here's your answer for what they plan on doing with the Turing wafers that were meant for CMP.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I guess I just don’t understand why that node hasn’t been converted and/or why that node isn’t busy making something else.

It costs around $6 Billion according to Intel to convert some of its old fabs to newer nodes, and that doesn't even count the ultra-end fabs that would need to bring in EUV Equipment to do 5nm stuff. That doesn't mean that old designs are completely filling up the demand for silicon. It just means that they're at healthy capacity and basically printing money. Most companies wouldn't want to upset that stable income in the push to add more fabs to bleeding edge nodes (which will only work to *reduce* prices of said chips, not raise them).

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I don't really mind if the 2060 turns out the be the 3050. I mean, for the main features of NVidia, RT and DLSS, there seems to be basically no improvement in the 3xxx series vs 2xxx. I had expected more dedicated hardware and less of a delta between using those features on the 3xxx series but that didn't happen. So then it doesn't really matter if its a 3xxx or 2xxx chip as long as it slots in where you expect it to be performance wise.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I don't really mind if the 2060 turns out the be the 3050. I mean, for the main features of NVidia, RT and DLSS, there seems to be basically no improvement in the 3xxx series vs 2xxx. I had expected more dedicated hardware and less of a delta between using those features on the 3xxx series but that didn't happen. So then it doesn't really matter if its a 3xxx or 2xxx chip as long as it slots in where you expect it to be performance wise.

Rebrand the 2060 into 3050(6GB)/3050ti(12GB)? I don't see why not. I mean the performance is there*, and being based on an older node has advantages right now.

*RT is just borderline usable in this segment anyway, so it's not like you're missing a whole lot.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Rebrand the 2060 into 3050(6GB)/3050ti(12GB)? I don't see why not. I mean the performance is there*, and being based on an older node has advantages right now.

*RT is just borderline usable in this segment anyway, so it's not like you're missing a whole lot.

The 3050 and 3050 Ti laptop is already available so it's unlikely they would rebrand.

Edit: I think the MSRP is going to be $299 but retail will probably be over $400 at least.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Call it a 3050LE (limited edition) and go nuts NV.

Now AMD, dig up Polaris' corpse and give it another go around on the whirly-gig and we'll have ourselves a real circus going in the entry level market.

• Haha
Reactions: Thibsie

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Now AMD, dig up Polaris' corpse and give it another go around on the whirly-gig and we'll have ourselves a real circus going in the entry level market.

I remember when 570/580's even 590's were going for a pittance. You almost got them thrown out after you on the way out of the store. Should have picked some up, they're still decent low-end cards.

Reactions: dvsv

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Polaris uses GDDR5 which might be tough to source.
Good point. RX 5500(XT) uses GDDR6, doesn't it? It's basically the (gaming) equivalent of Polaris, wasn't much improved, Navi11 (?), but mining might be less than RX 580 as well.

Thing is, Navi10/Navi11, use TSMC, not GF like Polaris did.

How hard would it be to re-spin Polaris to take GDDR6? I'm guessing the NRE costs would be too high to make it worthwhile, after all, this GPU shortage (and thus the higher prices that the GPU mfg's and board partners are able to charge) might be going away at the beginning of 2022, if "the Merge" happens with Ethereum.