Question [Videocardz] New RTX 3050 OEM

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Can't call this the 3040 Ti? They cut the core count another 10% from the 3050 but the memory bus and size remain the same.

Reactions: Leeea

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
OEM cards are often cut down from retail versions. It makes things really confusing for customs. They buy a machine from X manufacturer, claiming to have a specific card. They look up benchmarks, and think "yeah, thats great, it will play my game". But then find out its doesnt perform quite like the benchmarks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OEM cards are often cut down from retail versions. It makes things really confusing for customs. They buy a machine from X manufacturer, claiming to have a specific card. They look up benchmarks, and think "yeah, thats great, it will play my game". But then find out its doesnt perform quite like the benchmarks.
On it's face, that actually seems explicitly fraudulent to me. Much like how mfgs used to spec TV screen sizes differently, before we ad regulations regarding that sort of thing. Some mfgs were "very creative" in how they would rate their TVs.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
On it's face, that actually seems explicitly fraudulent to me. Much like how mfgs used to spec TV screen sizes differently, before we ad regulations regarding that sort of thing. Some mfgs were "very creative" in how they would rate their TVs.

I think they get away with it because a model name doesn't denote the cards specs. The measurement of a TV for instance is something that's physically measurable. But GPU model names are not tied to specific specs. Kind of like how the 3GB and 6GB GTX 1060's actually had different GPUs in them. They were both called 1060's, but the 3GB one had a cut down version of the chip.

SteinFG

Dec 29, 2021
Will they still use GA106? If they do, nerly half the cores will be disabled. What a waste.
I'm surprised they didn't use GA107 with the original 3050. Maybe GA107 is only PCIe x4 and that's why it's mobile only.
edit: checked, GA107 has a desktop version named A2, and it's x8 PCIe

Last edited: